Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:23 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Homicide stats do not support the belief
That police are the number one threat to law abiding or non law abiding citizens...
Oh, it's not the number one threat? I guess there's no reason to consider it, then. I mean - if it's not number one, why bother?

No shooting, but another great example of fine police work:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ilys-home.html

Just three police officers taking a battering ram to somebody's door and dragging her naked into the street. Because they were looking for a 16-year old who'd been stealing stuff from vehicles. And their address information was two years out of date, but hey - investigating that kind of stuff is like, police work. Just beat down enough doors, you'll find the guy, right?

And, of course, there were kids. A 15-year old and a 3-year old.

Hey, vision33r - any thoughts on what karmic crimes a 3-year old could have committed to have her door smashed and uniformed goons invading what she probably thought was a safe space? Or is this a pre-emptive karma strike kind of thing - she'll be doing some bad things later on and karma just gets the job out of the way?

A lot of police departments in the US has some serious issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 09:31 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Are people with criminal records subject to public execution at any time for any reason? Is that how our justice system works? If you have a criminal record it’s okay for a cop to shoot you in the street?

Oh and TAMIR RICE. Although I’m sure you could find a kindergarten report that said he didn’t listen during circle time once to rationalize his murder.
no but I believe cops would be on edge more than normal if they know they're dealing with an ex convict.

regardless, the reason they were shot wasn't because they had records. it was because they resisted arrest, didn't obey orders, and/or were reaching for weapons.

I think there are very few cases where people are shot and killed in cold blood by cops.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:33 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turthist View Post
I mean the media seems to leave out some information on those killed by police. There are some that did not have a criminal record, such as Shaver, Timpa, Francisco Serna, Justine Damond, Eugene Mallory, John Wrana 95 year old WWII vet, Jeremy Mardis etc etc... None of these poor souls had a criminal record yet were killed by police. Any other law-abiding citizens killed police?
Justine Damond a white woman with no record murdered by Mohamed Noor, a Minneapolis cop a couple years ago. No national news coverage. No rioting.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:35 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Your criminal history has no bearing on getting shot by police, your actions at the time of the incident do. Yes sir, no sir anything you say sir and you go home tonight.
As I always say "Everyone starts somewhere." The mass murderer that killed all of those young men and buried them under his porch years ago always comes to mind as an elderly neighbor lady said he was such a nice guy and always carried her groceries when he saw her crossing the street. Ah, yeah, that doesn't matter what kind of guy he was.

Also, I don't believe that they release juvenile offender records, and a lot of people anymore have some pretty bad ones.

But, I have a solution for those that believe that any group or individuals are being unfairly dealt with by law enforcement, sign up! Most cities and counties are always looking for officers, so here is your chance to do some other than run your mouths! Simply google for your choice of area, find their local law enforcement website, and submit your application online! Make a difference and be the one that makes things "right"!

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...so-far-in-2020

From the article:

Most were killed in firearms-related incidents while officers were investigating a suspicious person or activity. Many of the deaths also involve traffic incidents that include crashes and officers being hit after stepping out of their cars

Get an idea of the risks associated with the job:

https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/law-enforcement-facts

Old 08-27-2020, 09:47 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Get an idea of the risks associated with the job:

https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/law-enforcement-facts
Landscapers have a higher risk of dying on the job. Just sayin'...

Old 08-27-2020, 10:01 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
The person who called the police about Tamir Rice being in the park possibly having a gun told the police that the boy was a juvenile; and I think the person mentioned that he/she wasn't sure it was a real gun, but the police sent to investigate were not told that about the boy's young age or the possibility of it not being a real gun.

Horrible tragedy....
Yep! I read that, it was a major failure of communications. It is a tragedy, I don’t excuse what happened to him. I don’t know all of the details, but some cops are too quick to the trigger.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:03 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Landscapers have a higher risk of dying on the job. Just sayin'...
I wonder if they have isolated the risk for inner city police officers. Of course a sheriff in a podunk town brings down the averages.

Most landscapers wouldn’t get targeted for an execution style murder for simply performing their profession.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:59 AM

23,563 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Default Did all those killed by the police have a criminal record?

No.

Nehemiah Fischer, the very example of a model citizen was shot and killed by Troopers.

Fischer was an assistant pastor, and if I remember right his father was also a pastor in the same church. He was a university graduate, newly married, seems he was much beloved by his family, friends, church members, etc., apparently had zero run ins with the police or anyone else for that matter.

He and his brother were stranded in flood waters, sitting on their vehicle. The troopers that had tried to get them to move to higher ground were afraid they would be swept away if they didn't. Since there was continuing heavy rains north of them the possibility of them being swept away was very great. So the troopers called, and called, to them to come out of the flood waters.

Eventually Fischer and his brother left their vehicle and waded towards the troopers. As soon as they got close to the troopers Fisher launched himself at one of the troopers and began to battle him, his brother kept the other trooper busy, as can be seen in this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-6lNJ9VoC8

What isn't seen on that video .. Fischer battled with that trooper and they ended up at the rear of the troopers vehicle. At some point the trooper had fallen to the ground with Fischer on top of him. Fischer was pushing the troopers head underwater and trying to drown the trooper. The other trooper was busy fighting the other brother and could not safely pull Fischer off of that trooper, so Fischer was shot and killed.

Sure the family and friends made some grumbling, but the majority of people, and eventually the family and friends, realize that his being shot was unfortunate but fair.

Does it matter what the color of his skin was? Nope. What matters is that he wrongfully felt he could combat an officer and walk away the victor.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:16 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Justine Damond a white woman with no record murdered by Mohamed Noor, a Minneapolis cop a couple years ago. No national news coverage. No rioting.
If there was no news coverage how do you know her name?

Old 08-27-2020, 11:18 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It was national news and he was one of two cops to be convicted in the last 5 years. If all these cases had ended up with arrests/charges/prosecution you would not have protests much less riots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies