Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 12:05 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Silly question: Who here would put a store in downtown Minneapolis?

(Lets pretend you could still get insurance)
no way. Why bother with that headache? It makes no sense.

Then they gonna complain that people took their ball and went home and wonder why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 12:16 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Given the levels of morbid obesity among blacks it's hard to think why a store selling fresh produce is going to be of benefit to them.
That’s racist. We Blacks are unhealthy because we’re stressed out and don’t have access to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.

Everyone knows your need to pay for expensive organic foods in order to be healthy.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:19 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
They create their own demise through their own actions.
Absolutely, but there are usually not so bright people in the hood, but there are plenty of Democrats there to rescue them, as they have been rescuing them for 60 years What next, high rise housing

Old 08-27-2020, 12:27 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Do grocery delivery companies take WIC/SNAP? I don't know.

I wonder how they came by the 19 million, and the "1/3 of people live > 1 mile from a grocery store"

I delved into this and posted a couple weeks ago. I don't recall seeing the 19 million #, but I DO know they go by census tract. So, it's possible to have a grocery store with a census tract, but sounds like if 30% of the census tract population lives > 1 mi away, then they're all in a food desert.

So maybe the 19 million isn't even that high. Maybe they do somehow drill down and only count the residents > 1 mi away, but I doubt it based on info I did find.

There's even an interactive map where you can find the food deserts.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:38 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Gee, I can't think of a single reason why...

Thank God for youtube commenters who downvoted this into oblivion.
Hey Ms. Dymond Green, whose fault is that?

Old 08-27-2020, 12:47 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
Here is a video food desert more information and shows persons
real life situation and shopping for food etc.I view it twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Zp...&feature=share

Old 08-27-2020, 01:07 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
They create their own demise through their own actions.

It really is a broken record. A life time ago I worked for a power washing company and they had contracts to wash the sidewalks in front of convenience stores and super markets.

The ones in the suburbs were easy to clean. The ones located in the cities were real holes. I don't know how they did it but those sidewalks were always a mess of filth, chewed gum/candy soda/coffee spills and piles of trash. I was always taught to throw my trash into a trash can but not these people they would just throw it or spit it on the ground.

The crime was another thing with people selling drugs, stolen merchandise or sex. One of our guys was shot at, it was only a BB gun but still another was robbed and I arrived at a job one night to find Police cars there because someone had just chased someone into the store and beat them with a bat. The Homeless couldn't really help it but the beggars were the worse asking for a handout while they sported nice clothes and sneakers.

I saw lots of crazy things that left me feeling that these people don't give a crap about each other or their community.

It is really sad. How can anyone really blame the big grocers for not wanting to step into that mess?

Old 08-27-2020, 01:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That’s racist. We Blacks are unhealthy because we’re stressed out and don’t have access to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.

Everyone knows your need to pay for expensive organic foods in order to be healthy.
How about growing your own??? Farming is in your blood.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:10 PM

376 posts, read 102,992 times
Don't want a food desert? Don't destroy the stores that are there. Simple concept that some have a hard time understanding. Don't want bad things to happen? Don't do bad things.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:11 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
it would be nice to see someone take an honest, in-depth, and fully-presented look at the issue.

Whatever happened to Michelle Obama's 2010 declaration to end food deserts by 2017?

I'm sure this could be considered one-sided in the opposite direction. It was written in 2014.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/...n-alec-torres/

Quote:
The study looked at over 1,000 Philadelphia residents who formerly lived in areas considered food deserts but have since seen grocery stores built within 1.5 miles of their residences. Six months after supermarkets were built, the researchers found only 26.7 percent of those who lived near one of the newly built grocery stores ended up using the grocery store as their main food source. Within that 26.7 percent there was no significant improvement in body-mass index or intake of fruits and vegetables.
Quote:
Sadly, these efforts can’t merely be shrugged off with a quick, “at least it was a good try.” The first lady’s Let’s Move Campaign started with an announcement that, beginning in 2011, the U.S. Departments of Treasury, Agriculture, and Health and Human Services will “invest” $400 million a year “to help bring grocery stores to underserved areas and help places such as convenience stores and bodegas carry healthier food options.”

On top of that, cities such as Philadelphia have used “stimulus” funds meant to combat obesity to fund healthier markets. Cities have also received grants from the $15 billion Prevention and Public Health Fund of the Affordable Care Act for the same purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies