Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:46 AM

4,191 posts, read 2,511,188 times

Advertisements

If Biden wins, and that is a big if, folks only have Trump to blame or thank as the case might be. He is not a conservative. Conservatives don't like governing by Executive Order, but that is what Trump has tried to do since he is incapable of reaching across the isle. Balanced budgets out the window, saddled future generations with debt, kowtows to our adversaries from NK to Russia all the while using terms as "enemies of the people" and "America First" which have been used by Stalin in the first instance, and the Klan in the second. He attacks POW's as losers, and fails to understand that in the US, there is such a thing as loyalty to the Constitution which is not the same as not criticizing the president. And he is weak on defense. He inherited a Navy which had issues to put it mildly. It is no better now and in some ways worse: of the 164 officers assessed to be on deck with ship driving skills, only 27 were evaluated with no concerns, 108 with some concerns and 29 with significant concerns. All the while the replacement program for the Arleigh Burkes is in shambles. If he spent more time on these issues and not twittering perhaps we would be in better shape. The worst is the 7th Fleet which is our main arm in the north Pacific. He canceled war games with South Korea to help with a deal with NK, but that has gotten us nowhere and now due to Covid's widespread reach, US Army war games are canceled both in the US and overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 06:21 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Wait. You are telling me that at least 1 of 150 million voters is going to for the other party?

LIES I SAY!

Old 08-28-2020, 06:22 AM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Democrat desperation.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:00 AM

1,323 posts, read 588,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Pro-Life Conservative - Why I'm Voting for Biden

This fits me as well.

I am pro-life. I have opposed abortion my entire long life.

I am culturally conservative in my own life choices.

I believe in a balanced budget, I support the social safety net if the funds are available. Social Security and Medicare are self-funded so they are not a burden on the general fund.

My anti-abortion sentiment caused me to become aligned with the Republican party for many years, but actually the entire association has been a big disappointment. Aside from that one big issue (which the party does not have a monopoly on) the Republican party is bereft of Judeo-Christian values, it is morally bankrupt.

I can't accept the anti-science stance of the party today, I oppose the virulent corruption of this white house, I am outraged by the incompetence of this president and I refuse to take part in the Trump cult of personality which makes the claim to be a political party ... but is adrift with no ideology.

No thanks, I am a pro-life Democrat now and I will vote for a fellow pro-life Democrat in Biden.

I don't want to high-jack this thread, but as a pro-choice liberal I'm curious to find out if there's a middle ground on the abortion issue. Would you find it acceptable to maintain legal access to abortion if education and resources to reduce unwanted pregnancies were increased? Or is there a gestational threshold you could tolerate?

Old 08-28-2020, 08:10 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Anyone that spent some time reading the Biden Manifesto would cringe at the damage and destruction Creepy Uncle Joe would do to the economy and integrity of this country.

He offers nothing positive, nothing productive, and nothing for anyone but illegal aliens and the radical left. I get that some people don't like Trump, but you have to have a few bolts loose to think Biden would make anything better.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:03 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
I don't want to high-jack this thread, but as a pro-choice liberal I'm curious to find out if there's a middle ground on the abortion issue. Would you find it acceptable to maintain legal access to abortion if education and resources to reduce unwanted pregnancies were increased? Or is there a gestational threshold you could tolerate?
I am not sure. Anything that saves one life is better than saving no lives, so theoretically some compromise might be possible but that is beyond my ability to say. I do have some thoughts I could share but I doubt that they would be satisfactory.
  1. In and of itself public servants are duty bound to respect the law, regardless of how they personally feel.
  2. Changing the law, in itself, will not solve the problem.
I have come to this argument from a different approach than many. My answer to you will be in parts.

~

Unlike quite a few (if not most) Christians, I don't oppose abortion simply because I was told it was wrong by religious leaders, although there is that ...

I oppose it because of *gasp* science.

When a woman is pregnant her body needs to make certain adjustments to protect the fetus from her own body. You see, the DNA of the child is unique to the child, even as a single cell. The mother's immune system would quickly attempt to kill the fetus, in fact this may be the major cause of miscarriages and spontaneous abortions of the very young.

So I don't accept that the fetus is part of the mother's body (a major pro-choice argument), that is a misconception that should be laid to rest. It is a fact every one should be made aware of somehow.

I don't see any gestational limit that is acceptable. One might as well be Solomon.

~

As far as compromise? This took me a long time to fully understand, and I have been greatly conflicted over it.

Let us first recognize that not all Republicans are pro-life, in fact I would say far less than half give a damn about it at all. Of those that do, for many it is only because they were told it was a sin, they never figured it out for themselves ... they simply do not have the courage of their convictions. When little Jenny gets 'caught' in a jam, Republican Mom will be the one driving her to the clinic, they might not even let Republican Dad know but they will get it done.

These are socially conservative, fiscally responsible (and often church going) people who, when the chips are down will opt for an abortion rather than see their precious daughter drop out of university and miss the chance of building a successful career, or perhaps making a socially climbing match with a young doctor or something.

It is also the case that not all Democrats are pro-'choice'. There have always been pro life Democrats and there are still many today. Admittedly they appear to be in the minority, but working class 'Joe Sixpack' Catholics and Baptists have traditionally been supporters of the Democratic party in urban areas. Many are not comfortable with the pro-choice position which predominates in the national Democratic Party, and the Republicans have used this religious connection (for several decades) to attempt inroads into an electorate which otherwise would not support Republican pro-business/anti-labor policies.

This, in fact, is how they got their hooks in me.

I see hypocrisy on both sides of this issue. Those who would claim that a vote for a Democratic politician is a sin (I have seen this claim made) are just victims of political manipulation.

~

Liberals are noted for advocating for the weak, and the most vulnerable in our society, they fight for the voiceless. This is their great strength.

Well, the unborn are the weakest of the weak, the most vulnerable, the one's in most need of protection. The fight for these little people's rights should be, if anything, a liberal cause.

We can look back at how America was before Roe vs Wade. We have always had laws against abortion, it didn't work very well. It wasn't pretty. People were still having sex outside of marriage, women were still seeking abortions and often not only the child would die, but the mother as well.

At that time in our history we nearly all agreed that abortion was wrong and our laws reflected that, yet abortions continued, we could not stop it. Resorting to a legal remedy does not actually solve the problem.

Abortions happened in communities of all backgrounds: Baptists and Presbyterians in the south, Catholics and Lutherans in the north, rich Episcopalians and poor fundamentalists ... the country club set and people from the sweatshop.

I just watched "In the Heat of the Night" again after many years, among other things the story line touches upon this subject ... great movie.

Many times also, the children were carried to full term and abandoned into an uncertain future of the orphanage. A better expedient but still a sort of bitter tragedy.

Often it was out of a sense of shame that women would resort to this. They didn't want and couldn't bear the pain of the rumors of scandal. Rumor mongering and backbiting is our sin, and no one is helped by spreading gossip, in fact in this case gossip kills. Much better to be sympathetic and non-judgmental, not only a more Christian attitude ... it helps save these little lives.

Changing the law ... overturning Roe vs Wade, in itself, is not the answer. It is like beating our heads against the wall. It is not even the beginning of the solution to this problem. If at some point the ruling is ever overturned abortions will simply continue. Changing this currently settled law is not going to fix the problem, it just won't, it will be just like the Prohibition era, people will work around it and criminals will prosper.

~

The concept of 'choice' is related to free will. It is supposed to encompass both the opinions of those who oppose abortion for themselves as well as those who are ok with it. The reality on the ground is not so simple, to most people allowing others to kill children in unconscionable, so it doesn't really work if it implies we are all ok with it, we are not actually ok with it. It is painful.

From a religious perspective we are all answerable to our maker for our life's choices. The final arbiter is not the state. My advice would apply whether Roe Vs Wade was overturned or not: What we need is a national conversion of heart. Pro-life groups need to focus much more energy on converting minds and hearts of people about the subject of unborn life. By ignoring this they are making a serious mistake, we can not leave this issue to the courts and the prison system, people will still die.

We also need reproductive education, it is a science. We need to teach the young people how to prevent pregnancies, and why that is important. If we are seeing too many unwanted pregnancies we need to promote birth control. We as a society need to help the people decide for themselves that getting pregnant under the wrong circumstances is hurtful.

If we spent half the money (umpteen millions of dollars every year) we have spent over the years in lobbying against Roe Vs Wade instead applying it to educating people WHY abortion is unacceptable, how it is like murdering your own child, more people would choose to avoid it out of their own conviction and lives could be saved. The problem is no one wants to do that. The issue is being used as a convenient political weapon, but the hard work is being neglected.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:05 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
At least some conservatives still put country over party.
Let us known when you are ready to join them !!!

Old 08-28-2020, 11:07 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
And I guess Bingo Biden voters won't come in here complaining when their house is burned down by the radical extremist groups, right?

News will be much more exciting when I see Democrats lose everything they own.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:09 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
At least some conservatives still put country over party.
Sounds to me like one person who is not voting for Trump because they dont like him.
Last election I didnt vote for Hillary because I dont like her or her politics.
Hardly news worthy stuff.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:09 AM

628 posts, read 209,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Too many lies in that article to waste my time responding.
This is correct.

Coming from the thread starter, not surprising at all though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies