Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2020, 11:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
The black people were slaves, they claim to be and want everything under the sun because of this.... or is this fake news?
I’m a member of the tribe, and I’ve never heard of this. Are you a member of this tribe where you would’ve been privy to such sentiments?

Old 08-31-2020, 01:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No we don’t. We can all stay right here and hate each other forever. We’ve done it since the nation’s founding, and there’s no reason why we can’t keep doing it.

Find a better way? We found it back in 1787, and we codified it in the Constitution. Problem is, one side decided that the better way shouldn’t apply to all of us.

So here we are. It is what it is.
Then why did you sell out to the one side that didn't want it applied to all of us? The slave holders, Jim Crow. those guys?

Old 08-31-2020, 06:35 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
No we don’t. We can all stay right here and hate each other forever. We’ve done it since the nation’s founding, and there’s no reason why we can’t keep doing it.

Find a better way? We found it back in 1787, and we codified it in the Constitution. Problem is, one side decided that the better way shouldn’t apply to all of us.

So here we are. It is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Simply the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
So all blacks hate all whites and all whites hate all blacks?

And there's nothing that can be done about it?
Quote:
Amicability is highly overrated.

We don’t need to be amicable. You or I lose absolutely NOTHING by disliking each other on sight. You can still keep going your way and I can go mine.

It’s that easy. You’ve been doing it all your life anyway.

Sure something can be done about it, but WHY? For what?

BTW, far from ALL blacks and whites hate each other. That’s silly, and a stark exaggeration.

Again, we don’t all have to like each other to live in this country. I don’t mind being hated, nor should you. Just don’t let it manifest itself in any transaction. Keep it to yourself.
Quoting the above to illustrate a point.

When someone, in this this case DD, states reasonably, accurately, & unemotionally a historical truth, someone else, in this case BB, instead of listening & proposing an opposing view, misunderstands.

Instead of asking for clarification, the historically accurate statement is mis-interpreted:

Quote:
So all blacks hate all whites and all whites hate all blacks?
This gets us nowhere.

Or Now. Here.

As the Native American Proverb observes, "Those who tell the best stories rule the world."

How would you tell the story of America?

Would you tell it as honestly as possible? Or steeped in mythologies, & half-truths?

How can problems be solved by denial? Let's face it, no amount of magical thinking works to vanish or disappear the problems away.

Tell the story. Admit the mistakes (we are, after all, all humans). Consider as many ways as possible to fix the problems we have, in the present day, with all of the tools & resources that were previously unavailable to US.

It can be done. We have every reason to address our most pressing problems in the most forthright & forthcoming way as is possible, & no valid reason to continue to ignore or dismiss as irrelevant.

Granted, it's challenging to address problems (wounds really) that've been festering for over a century.

Take for example the fact that the highest court of law in the land, the SCOTUS, recently (2020) refused to review one of our most pressing problems:

Supreme Court Will Not Reexamine Doctrine That Shields Police In Misconduct Suits

Quote:
Amid the tumult over police brutality allegations across the country, the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday refused to reexamine the much-criticized, modern-day legal doctrine created by judges that has shielded police and other government officials from lawsuits over their conduct.
It's worth noting:

Quote:
Two Supreme Court justices have repeatedly urged the court to reexamine qualified immunity doctrine: Sonia Sotomayor, arguably the court's most liberal justice, and Thomas, arguably its most conservative.
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/15/87685...misconduct-sui

Are we all just 'throwing in the towel'?

C'mon already there's work to be done.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:53 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I live in a suburb of Detroit. 66% white, 30% African-American. No racial problems. Many interracial marriages. White and black kids playing together. White and black neighbors talking to each other as if skin color doesn’t matter. Because it really doesn’t.
According to the academics poisoning our youth, this is highly racist behavior.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:54 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
How so?

Old 08-31-2020, 08:58 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
But that's the point isn't it, no one is a slave anymore and everyone has freedom to do whatever they want..but yet BLM is saying that they need to be given everything under the sun and meet their demands because they have been oppressed. Slavery ended in 1865 but BLM still carries it as if everyone should bow down to black people because of what happened to them, not anymore.
BLM, not the rest of the Black population. Alot of people are just sick of how things have been, and still see there is alot of room for improvement. Slavery might be over, but there is still alot going on that isn't good. We have alot more freedom now, but there is still discrimination, racism, and police brutality taking place.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:10 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
They claimed there were slaves, because they were, do you not know history? are you an idiot? If they are not happy here then they are free to leave.

Maybe you need to be educated on common sense because you have your head up your **S.

The only way this country can move forward is if the haters leave, including you.
Based on some of the posts I've seen from you, your mentality isn't helping to move this country forward either.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Which academics. Name them.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:01 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
I do not see how this can continue to go on for many more years. You have the 'woke' black types, which are a pretty large % of the black community, seeing themselves as constant victims and making martyrs out of criminals. You have a large portion of the white community, especially in rural areas, completely 180 degrees opposed to BLM.

How does this end? I know the idea of a 'race war' (whatever 'war' means in modern terms) has been scoffed at, but I kind of feel like we are on the verge that now. It is even starting to spill over into the suburbs recently, and its just a matter of time before it gets into more rural areas.

Lets be honest, there has never been racial harmony in this country and it was just a matter of time before this got worse. National politics certainly isnt the answer.

Where does this all lead to?
Your post is confused. The Title asks how do we go forward, while you ask, in the post, where does this all lead to. Two distinctly different questions.

I can tell how, and it is the only way possible, we can move forward racially, and it is for one group (you guess who) to get its act together and bring it's horrific stats on crime and other social ills, in line with the main. As long as your murder and violent crime rates, welfare rates etc., are multiples those of the other groups, you won't be treated with respect. Just the opposite - disdain and contempt.

It's not likely to happen though.

Last edited by Open-D; 08-31-2020 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-31-2020, 10:03 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Which academics. Name them.
As if you'd recognize any of them. Don't make me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies