Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 07:07 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think police should be allowed to be able to tackle someone if they are walking away. Too many police shoot folks, even folks with an inferior weapon if police were better trained their should be less, shootings. American society in general is obsessed with guns, so every type of criminal has guns. But in a perfect world guns would be more restrictive, then police wouldn't need guns (Except special forces) and could tackle and be able to disarm folks wielding sharp instruments rather than dealing with shootouts, that are all to common in America.
In the case of Jacob Blake, there were at least three cops there. Do you believe that three officers could not physically restrain one guy, who was unarmed or possibly armed with a knife? Hell yes, one cop tackle him and the other two grab his arms. No need to fire seven bullets in his back, in front of his kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 07:08 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
I have no idea but perhaps the same as these white men...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rev...ey-werent-shot

Note that the black man was the only one who complied and they kicked him in the back and began attacking him. Then they attacked the woman in the car.

As someone who has worked with police, there is a marked difference between a number of those on the mainland and the ones I worked with in the territory. Those officers who worked both places noted differences as well.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:09 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Does their "walking away" justify use of lethal force?

Old 08-29-2020, 07:10 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Does their "walking away" justify use of lethal force?
He wasn't "walking away" when he was shot, he was grabbing something from his car which turned out to be a deadly weapon.

You either know that and are intentionally lying, or you don't know it and you REALLY need to educate yourself before trying to discuss this further. You pick.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
He wasn't "walking away" when he was shot, he was grabbing something from his car which turned out to be a deadly weapon.

You either know that and are intentionally lying, or you don't know it and you REALLY need to educate yourself before trying to discuss this further. You pick.
I thought the OP was speaking in generalities?

Old 08-29-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I thought the OP was speaking in generalities?
Fair enough, but then you'll agree that grabbing a deadly weapon while fighting with cops is justification for being shot right?

I'm looking for common ground here.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:17 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Because that person was armed with a knife and the cops don't want to get stabbed.

If your hero Blake succeeded in killing one or all of the cops, it wouldn't make national news because their lives don't matter.

We can tell that because look how many people blame the cops instead of the armed man fighting the cops.
How many cops are killed by knives in a typical year? Zero.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:18 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
In the case of Jacob Blake, there were at least three cops there. Do you believe that three officers could not physically restrain one guy, who was unarmed or possibly armed with a knife? Hell yes, one cop tackle him and the other two grab his arms. No need to fire seven bullets in his back, in front of his kids.
I did a heck of a job of stopping three Ensigns from handcuffing me to a locker once (it was a Bull Ensign type of affair).

It gets a bit more than that, though, inwardly and outwardly.

First of all, has anyone ever known a group of untrained people to go into a melee as a team? In the above, it is said one to tackle him and the other two to grab his arms but I suspect in such a situation, each person is thinking what he will do, how he will take the person out, how he will protect himself and no one is thinking about teamwork. Even if they were, hand to hand is really about taking what you can get and a well thought out plan of who does what is likely to go out the window quickly.

Inwardly: I think part of my ability is that my body has learned for all the muscles of the body to work together all at once at one time. When Dad would be brought home from the nursing home, my brothers would struggle to get him out of the car. Me, I pictured myself as a fork lift, squatted, put one arm under his legs, another arm behind his back, and lift him up and out. Mom said I picked him up like a rag doll.

I think the reason why my brothers "failed" was because one was saying you get his legs, I'll get us arms, but in the application of force between two people, there wasn't much coordination.

Looking back to the locker incident, the three were probably trying to apply all their strength to move my arm to that locker.....and I was focusing all the strength of my body into my arm to stop them.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-29-2020 at 07:38 AM..

Old 08-29-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, but then you'll agree that grabbing a deadly weapon while fighting with cops is justification for being shot right?

I'm looking for common ground here.

Yes, that sounds like justification for use of deadly force, obviously.

Now we just need evidence to support that's what he was actually doing, or reasonably appeared to be doing.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
How many cops are killed by knives in a typical year? Zero.
There's typically 1500 or more people murdered with knives every year in the US and more than 123,000 assaults with knives every year.

Again, people like you are REALLY brave when it comes to other people's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies