Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2020, 12:17 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
1. He was 17. It was illegal for him to posses that rifle. In his home state you have to be 21, in wisconsin you have to be 18.
This was crime 1.
Yes, this was a misdemeanor and it is irrelevant to his self defense case.

Quote:
2. Crossing the state line with an illegally possessed weapon is a pretty big deal and a big fat number 2 on the crime list.
That's not something that happened though, if you knew more, you'd know that.

Quote:
3. Wisconsin totally allows for the use of deadly force in self defense, but the caveat is that you cant be committing a crime while that use of force happens. Which we addressed above he was actively committing a crime by possessing that rifle.
That's not true. Go back and try reading the statute again.

Quote:
4. Wisconsin has a Castle Doctrine. But you can only use deadly force if the perpetrators are in your dwelling or your place of business. For a place of business you have to own this, or be in charge of operations of the business. You can not just post up to protect a random business, also you can not chase people if they decide to retreat like This 17yo did. Wisconsin V. Charles L Chew is the case law. If you want to have a look.
The Castle Doctrine is irrelevant given that he was acting in defense of himself, not of property.

Quote:
5. Its not self defense when you get in your car with a rifle, drive 15mi to another town, and walk the streets with a rifle.
Those actions have no bearing whatsoever on if an act is self defense, you are laughably misinformed.

Quote:
He had every option to stay home but he chose to get involved in this situation with the plan to be involved in confrontation(hence the rifle) also in Wisconsin self defense law you cant be the instigator and then claim self defense.
You yet again are laughably misinformed, even if you are the instigator of the altercation, and there's no evidence that he was, it wouldn't matter because he attempted to flee his attacker....which would mean he'd regain any right to self defense that he could have lost due to instigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 12:19 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Pretty ignorant to start off your remarks about Rittenhouse carrying a gun across state lines. He did not. Twenty miles is "across town". That part of Lake Michigan, north of Chicago is one suburban stretch. It is far different than you seem to understand.

Didn't read the rest of your comment after that totally erroneous start.
Dude. He crossed into a different state.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:20 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Aggressive, yeah, so? Come into a thread 22 pages in, without knowing of the legal representation - which was discussed at some length five or six pages back - to say he needs legal representation, when he already has it, is just flapping the keyboard jaws to support your predetermined prejudice.

He'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I'm sure he does. He apparently needs it, else a local team would be sufficient.
BTW, my comment is that he needs a good legal defense. Then you agree with me. Your comment is being perhaps aggressive?

Old 08-29-2020, 12:20 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Wow. Look at all these liberals going after this one kid without a word of condemnation for A) his violent BLM attackers or B) the criminal savages destroying businesses, beating up elderly people, trying to kill police by throwing bricks to their heads, looting stores, burning down buildings, and yes....killing others. For some reason, the liberals are all focused on this one kid who was defending himself from the violent leftist mob.
If he had STAYED HOME he wouldn't have had to "defend" himself, would he? He chose to put himself into that situation, knowing what could happen.

Smart move on his part, throwing his life away at such a young age.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:21 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
The gun belonged to a friend in Wisconsin. That is probably a misdeanor [his age, possession] and nothing in the scheme of things, as bobbythegreat notes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Dude. He crossed into a different state.

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
This kid is no hero.

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
If he had STAYED HOME he wouldn't have had to "defend" himself, would he? He chose to put himself into that situation, knowing what could happen.

Smart move on his part, throwing his life away at such a young age.
If the terrorists had stayed home or just not decided to attack a minor, they'd still be alive.....they were the ones who threw their life away, the kid will be fine.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:37 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
He violated multiple laws just being there with the firearm at his age. Which throws into question whether he is even eligible for a self defense claim as he was engaged in criminal activity.
You are correct,he did violate some laws by having the gun. After he is exonerated on the trumped up murder charges, he will get his hands slapped for having that gun.
Several very high profile defense attorney's have come to his aid and the case will go nowhere. Kyle will end up wealthy and a folk hero. He deserves to be considered a hero, not scum like George Floyd..

Old 08-29-2020, 12:41 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If Kyle knew that this mob was so dangerous that he had to bring a military style weapon, why did he put himself in danger. By characterizing these protesters as a violent mob only begs the question even more. There are many white nationalist and neo-nazi groups in Wisconsin not to mention plenty of unorganized sympathizers. But only this boy showed up. No reasonable white nationalist would have come alone nor sent their child.

He makes the whole movement look pretty weak. But if they want to make him out to be a hero it makes as much sense as using the confederate flag as a symbol. I would drop the American Hero thing before some smart graphic artist prints a T-shirt with the image of this boy running away from people hold a military style weapon captioned with American Hero.
Meh - The Antioch Kid was making a tactical retreat, he could have held his ground anywhere along that route, but was running TOWARD the police so that he WOULDN'T have to shoot anyone after the first skinhead/knucklehead. Kyle was trying to NOT shoot anyone else, but the idiot with the Assault Skateboard and Lefty made that impossible, unfortunately. Again, those who are painting him as someone who wanted to kill people don't know what they are talking about. And to your first paragraph, there were at least several other armed individuals protecting property up there, although I do not know how many, they are described in many other accounts. They will likely be deposed before Kyle's trial.

That being said, I sure don't think it was in Kyle's interest to go to Kenosha, it may ruin his life, at least having to carry the emotional scars that he killed two and badly injured one. But war has been known to do that to other young men. And yes, these incidents may well be the very early skirmishes in a much larger war. I sure hope it doesn't come down to that, but it's not in my hands, it's in the hands of those who have sworn to overthrow the government. If I were them, I'd take the next bus back to where they're welcome (say, Portland or Seattle), Kenosha has shown itself to be a bit less than hospitable to their cause.

I only have maybe three individuals for whom I would leave my own property with the intention of defending theirs in a SHTF situation. Kyle was more generous (some call it courageous) than I am. But if the Governors of our Blue States don't stop being complicit in this nonsense, and DO THEIR JOBS, deploying adequate numbers of police and National Guard to deal with riots in the future, we may all have to make the same decision Kyle did. Or are you willing to let your neighborhood burn down around you?

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 08-29-2020 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-29-2020, 12:45 PM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Meh - The Antioch Kid was making a tactical retreat, he could have held his ground anywhere along that route, but was running TOWARD the police so that he WOULDN'T have to shoot anyone after the first skinhead/knucklehead. Kyle was trying to NOT shoot anyone else, but the idiot with the Assault Skateboard and Lefty made that impossible, unfortunately. Again, those who are painting him as someone who wanted to kill people don't know what they are talking about. And to your first paragraph, there were at least several other armed individuals protecting property up there, although I do not know how many, they are described in many other accounts. They will likely be deposed before Kyle's trial.

That being said, I sure don't think it was in Kyle's interest to go to Kenosha, it may ruin his life, at least having to carry the emotional scars that he killed two and badly injured one. But war has been known to do that to other young men. And yes, these incidents may well be the very early skirmishes in a much larger war. I sure hope it doesn't come down to that, but it's not in my hands, it's in the hands of those who have sworn to overthrow the government. If I were them, I'd take the next bus back to where they're welcome (say, Portland or Seattle), Kenosha has shown itself to be a bit less than hospitable to their cause.

I only have maybe three individuals I would leave my own property with the intention of defending theirs in a SHTF situation. Kyle was more generous (some call it courageous) than I am. But if the Governors of our Blue States don't stop being complicit in this nonsense, and DO THEIR JOBS, deploying adequate numbers of police and National Guard to deal with riots in the future, we may all have to make the same decision Kyle did. Or are you willing to let your neighborhood burn down around you?
In both shootings, Kyle actually retreated and ran away from the attackers before he shot them.

I highly doubt any jury in the country will convict a teenager for killing & wounding 3 grown ass adult MEN to preserve his own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies