Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 02:32 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times

Advertisements

Is resisting arrest a form of toxic masculinity? We often hear about toxic masculinity being described as aspects of masculine behavior that yield negative results for the person. Examples are getting up in someone's face to show dominance (like the guy in Kenosha), not willing to talk about your problems because you will look like a pansy, and using violence to solve your problems.

When I see these some of these situations unfold with the police, it seems like there is some form of honor culture playing out in these situations, along with toxic masculine behavior. A lot of these videos I see it appears that the individuals don't want anyone being in control of them and are acting out to show their hardness and maintain their "masculinity". I support reforms for the police and recognize that some of the officers can engage in this behavior as well, but we have to understand that there is a social contract with the police in our society.

If the police are supposed to maintain law and order in our society, we put them in a position of authority. When someone is in their custody, it seems reasonable that they should comply with them, if there is any issues take their badge numbers and file a complaint and civil suit with the department later.

It just seems odd that no one is calling this out as toxic masculine behavior. It seems pretty evident to me, considering the vast majority of these incidents occur with males.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 02:33 PM

I also wanted to add this post from another thread about the social contract that we have with police in our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Here is the thing, it seems like a lot of people don't understand the social contract that we have with police in our society. Now if some people want to do away with this social contract, then they will need to do it through democratic means. Since we put police in charge to keep order in society, we give them a certain power over all of us to help keep that order in society. With this social contract, we agree as a society to obey their commands when we are in their custody. If people want to throw away this social contract, fine, do it through democratic means, but this doesn't mean that this social contract doesn't exist.

If people of a community want protection, they have to be willing to deal with the authority that comes with that protection. Also, when you have this burden placed upon the people who are out there to protect the community, the level of force in the situation shouldn't be equal. How ridiculous does it sound that a cop must use a knife to subdue a perp, just because the perp also has a knife. This is not how it should work given the social contract that we have with police.

Having said all of this, because the police ultimately answer to the politicians and the people, in acts of unmitigated threats where disproportionate force is used, the police must be held accountable. The police will be imperfect because humans are imperfect, so the greatest way to mitigate any disproportionate use of force would be to comply with the police whenever dealing with them. If the police do act in an unjustified manner, then take it up with them in court, not on the streets.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:34 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Seems to happen more by black than whites, so maybe toxic “raciality”?

Old 08-28-2020, 02:35 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Toxic masculinity. The definition>?

Old 08-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Seems to happen more by black than whites, so maybe toxic “raciality”?
I really want to stick to the topic of toxic masculinity. It is possible that forms of toxic masculinity are more prevalent in some black communities though.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Toxic masculinity. The definition>?
Here is a definition from dictionary.com

a cultural concept of manliness that glorifies stoicism, strength, virility, and dominance, and that is socially maladaptive or harmful to mental health:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/toxic-masculinity

Old 08-28-2020, 02:47 PM

824 posts, read 711,480 times
Quote:
Is resisting arrest a form of toxic masculinity? We often hear about toxic masculinity being described as aspects of masculine behavior that yield negative results for the person. Examples are getting up in someone's face to show dominance (like the guy in Kenosha), not willing to talk about your problems because you will look like a pansy, and using violence to solve your problems.

When I see these some of these situations unfold with the police, it seems like there is some form of honor culture playing out in these situations, along with toxic masculine behavior. A lot of these videos I see it appears that the individuals don't want anyone being in control of them and are acting out to show their hardness and maintain their "masculinity". I support reforms for the police and recognize that some of the officers can engage in this behavior as well, but we have to understand that there is a social contract with the police in our society.

If the police are supposed to maintain law and order in our society, we put them in a position of authority. When someone is in their custody, it seems reasonable that they should comply with them, if there is any issues take their badge numbers and file a complaint and civil suit with the department later.

It just seems odd that no one is calling this out as toxic masculine behavior. It seems pretty evident to me, considering the vast majority of these incidents occur with males.

What are your thoughts?
I mean kinda, but you lost me with the point about reporting an incident to the police department. That’s the problem, no one does **** about violence by police, and I think that if you have been profiled all your life, you eventually get sick and tired of it, that’s why I’m guessing a lot of these men act abrasively. Chauvin had a long history of being this “Dirty Harry” type cop who had a cowboy complex, and was reported many times, and he was still on the beat, even after all those complaints. If police were prosecuted properly like any other type of criminal(well some criminals are still let off easy, I still think it’s the expectation for someone to be charged.”

I mean, I one time had a weird experience with a cop when I was only ten. This traffic cop told us not to walk by the train tracks, because we were looking for lost money) otherwise we would be killed by a train. Which is just ridiculous, most of the people hit and killed by trains it’s either by suicide or they were drunk/high. Also, the alarm system wasn’t up or anything. The same cop followed us for another couple minutes and told my younger sister again, that she would get killed if she ever went on those train tracks.

It’s more cringe than threatening, because I think the cop was just tying to get us to take something seriously. But if a cop has talked to me and my sister like that, I 100% believe the stories that young black men tell of the intimidation, and outright violence they have taken from cops all their lives. I mean look at the whole Kyle Rittenhouse situation vs the 12 year black kid who got immediately shot for having a toy gun. Rittenhouse walks towards the cops with his gun no problem, while half assing raising his hands up.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:47 PM

6,259 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
My husband was a cop in the mountains of east TN. Mostly white rednecks. But you can extrapolate from his experience as it pertains to those in urban areas (particularly my #3 and #4):

1. Mountain Tradition - you don't ever surrender to the law. You gotta fight. Typically it didn't end well for anyone not wearing a uniform

2. Saving Face - typically manifested when 'friends" egged redneck on because redneck was "Scared of Officer ****. Typically it didn't end well for anyone not wearing a uniform

3. Those who have current warrants and don't want to go back to jail

4. Those who have criminal records, have just broken the law, don't have any existing warrants, and don't want to go back to jail

Honor Culture? No such thing in the US as it relates to law breakers. All BS just like most of what's happening out there in the country right now.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:49 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
As is the case with many on the left, the standard of behavior is different for brown vs white people. An aggressive, in your face, jacked up white guy is a bully, a jerk, and an example of a type of person that needs to be stamped out of existence.

A brown person doing the same thing, at least in dealing with a white person, is understandable because they've been oppressed.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:49 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
There is no such thing as toxic masculinity. It is another ridiculous and nonsensical creation of the politically correct left. Therefore, your question cannot be answered. It is like dividing by zero in math.

Otherwise, resisting arrest involves very complicated variables and circumstances.

The mentally ill who can't control themselves resist arrest. That has nothing to do with masculinity with mentally ill females.

Drunk and high people often resist arrest because their inhibitions are lower. They are incapable of controlling themselves due to the affect of drugs and alcohol. Once again, this can't be a masculinity issue at all among the drunk and high females who resist. And that negates it in the males as well, since it is not unique to males.

Some people resist arrest because they righteously know they are innocent and they have a particular personality that won't allow them to cooperate with police while their innocence gets sorted out. Most of us would go along and then explain why we are innocent and the police would go, "oh, OK". Some people are just forceful and unyielding, and they resist arrest because they can't suffer fools.

I would guess -- and it is only a guess -- that most people who resist arrest are just criminals by nature and have long criminal records. They are people who don't believe in structure or in law and order. They do what they want when they want, so they defy authority by and large. Arrest is authority and they want no part of authority so they are going to go kicking and screaming. Welcome to the world of the career criminal.

Since any or all of these can involve women, it has nothing to do with "masculinity".

Otherwise, it takes a long time of government school brainwashing to believe in something as ridiculous and nonsensical as some idea of "toxic masculinity".

So, what is toxic feminity? How about toxic neutrality?

I am going to define a new term. "Toxic stupidity". Toxic stupidity is the state of mind by gullible young people to accept the politically correct brainwashing they have received from their Marxist school teachers, college professors, government leaders, sports heroes, and actors and musicians, replacing all logic and reasoning with leftist dogma.

I hate to see these new brainwashed masses. It is bad for the future of our country, which is the entire reason it is being pushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies