Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote For The Outcome Of The Murder Trial Of Kyle Rittenhouse
Guilty - Kyle Rittenhouse murdered those young protesters 72 19.78%
Not Guilty - Kyle Rittenhouse acted in self-defense 292 80.22%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 09:33 AM

1,265 posts, read 444,674 times

Advertisements

Well they protest and burn the city of Kenosha down again if he’s found not guilty or he is found guilty? I’m my opinion either verdict there will be trouble once again

Old 11-17-2021, 09:35 AM

23,446 posts, read 12,481,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wait. One thing that made him controversial from the beginning, was the fact that he was underage for carrying a firearm. He wasn't allowed to have one, let alone have the right to kill someone with it. I haven't followed this case, but that was a basic fact of the case that was known from the start. Did the prosecution lose sight of that fact? I can't imagine.
except, that is not a fact.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Your feeling has been the argument against open carry since the concept has existed. The simple appearance of a weapon in the possession of a non-government entity (see how sly Leviathan is there?) is an act of violence in and of itself. You echo a sentiment that has been discussed/studied to death for over 100 years.

Hell, I may have even debated it in high school/college in formal team debate.

Thing is, even though I acknowledge and understand your sentiment, the rule of law is based on the laws as they exist, not as we wish them to be. According to the law as written that cover the United States, the state of Wisconsin and the city of Kenosha, open carry of a rifle in Kenosha is not an act of violence. Period. That is the law as written at the time of the events in question.

Rittenhouse was an innocent, he had force initiated against him that presented, to him, a legitimate mortal threat, and he used the tools at his disposal to defend himself from and neutralize those threats. Those are the facts, and they are beyond dispute.

What you wish and what the prosecution is trying to prove is that Rittenhouse violated a hypothetical, desired, future law where open carry is legally defined as an act of violence. That law does not exist, but Binger specifically and Leviathan generally are seeking to make it come into existence via simple judicial precedent that they can then formally legislate later with this judicial precedent shielding them from Supreme Court scolds.

So a juror has to decide along one of two very simple lines:
  • He is innocent according to the laws as written in existence that day.
  • He is guilty according to imaginary future laws that some people wish existed then but might exist later.
The former follows the rule of law, the latter totally ignores it. So really, Rittenhouse is a placeholder for the rule of law itself being on trial.
I agree. And this is what’s making people so interested in this trial. Because at least half of us are sick of this nonsense being legal.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:36 AM

6,635 posts, read 2,951,738 times
Quote:
Wait. One thing that made him controversial from the beginning, was the fact that he was underage for carrying a firearm. He wasn't allowed to have one, let alone have the right to kill someone with it. I haven't followed this case, but that was a basic fact of the case that was known from the start. Did the prosecution lose sight of that fact? I can't imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That weapons charge was thrown out because he legally could carry that rifle. So no, you are incorrect. That's not a basic fact and in fact it was legal for him to carry even underage since it was not a short barrel weapon.

And that still has no bearing on whether he acted in self-defense or not.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:37 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,601,078 times
Quote:
As was mentioned that charged was dropped. The prosecution wanted that charge and needed it, so they could show “provocation”, since the legal definition of provocation requires an illegal act. Since that charge was dropped they could not argue provocation just by the presence of the gun.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. And this is what’s making people so interested in this trial. Because at least half of us are sick of this nonsense being legal.
Well, in Wisconsin open carry is legal. So based on the facts of the case, which clearly show self-defense, you must be in favor of acquittal then, yes? If you think open carry laws need to change, write your lawmaker but you don't advocate for someone to be put in jail because you don't like the laws which allowed that person to defend himself.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:41 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
But do you acknowledge that what the prosecution seeks is abandoning the rule of law and creating law from the prosecution chair?

Does being "sick of this nonsense" justify not just going around, but totally abandoning the rule of law, in your opinion?

I am not being facetious or combative, I legitimately want to know.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:43 AM

19,821 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
I’m on my phone so I can’t easily post links. Google murders in Austin. There was an actual shoot out in our party district that didn’t result in any criminal charges. Outrageous.
Doesn’t Austin have a Soros funded DA?

Old 11-17-2021, 09:44 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Being able to defend yourself should be illegal? I would not be alive if I had not been able to defend myself.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:46 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:
Under WI law, Person under the age of 18 cannot carry short-barreled rifle or shotgun under 16”

Kyle’s AR was 16”

There is a reason why that weapon charge got thrown out. This charge was filed by the overzealous DA less than 24 hours after the shooting and before investigation completed.

In addition, weapon violation has zero bearing on self defense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies