Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 03:14 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...183544480.html

How many believe that corporate tax cuts are passed down to employees through wages or other benefits? The company that I worked for put in an extra $1,500 into 401K in the first year, but nothing else after that. I still say that many american voters don't really care for tax cuts for even those who make over $100k, whom many consider to be "rich".
the article is scant on details, and several times says "will help pay for" .... meaning "will pay for part of".

Record personal income taxes were collected in 2018. You can find receipts by income bracket. You can find that the tax cuts INCREASED the number of folks who paid $0 income taxes. You can find how many MORE people benefitted from the much higher standard deduction.

It's possible you can find how much th $10K SALT max deduction hurt "middle income" people in high tax states, but not likely. Like the article, those governors are more interested in crying foul.

I can tell you that MY income taxes went up (top 10%), and the income taxes from the top 1% went up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 03:16 PM

11,120 posts, read 10,672,022 times
Quote:
Money is not always the most important thing in life, you know. It's important that this country should live by the rights, liberties and responsibilities of the Constitution. The Constitution might as well be a shreaded-up piece of old paper if trump is re-elected.
Ironically, it's the Democrats trying to shred the Constitution by controlling what people are allowed to say and attempting to abridge 2nd Amendment rights, among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Allowing more and more wealth to continue to funnel to the 1 percent is risky. LOL. As well know, they hoard the wealth. They don't share it
The "1 percent" are the ones who fund most of the major business in this country. They aren't hoarding it, they're investing it. Big difference.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,525,305 times
Quote:

How many believe that corporate tax cuts are passed down to employees through wages or other benefits? The company that I worked for put in an extra $1,500 into 401K in the first year, but nothing else after that. I still say that many american voters don't really care for tax cuts for even those who make over $100k, whom many consider to be "rich".
Please explain to me the morality of forcing other people to pay more taxes than you.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Allowing more and more wealth to continue to funnel to the 1 percent is risky. LOL. As well know, they hoard the wealth. They don't share it
Allowing? Who the hell are you? God or a dictator?

Old 08-29-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Ironically, it's the Democrats trying to shred the Constitution by controlling what people are allowed to say and attempting to abridge 2nd Amendment rights, among other things.

The "1 percent" are the ones who fund most of the major business in this country. They aren't hoarding it, they're investing it. Big difference.
They don’t care. They just want the rich people’s money and they are more than willing to kill for it.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:20 PM

585 posts, read 223,304 times
Quote:

I know many companies pass some of the cuts down the line but it’s certainly not common for the entirety of a tax break to be passed to employees.

We have a spending problem that we will never be able to tax our way out of. Significant cuts need to happen but good luck with that.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:28 PM

77,012 posts, read 47,489,856 times
Quote:

How many believe that corporate tax cuts are passed down to employees through wages or other benefits?
That did not happen. Why would they do that when they can just keep the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
People hate keeping their own money is that it ?
No, the corporations were happy to keep it.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:30 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
This thread will go nowhere.

People do not want to address the real issue of the national debt.

Trump has increased the national debt. Trump promised to decrease the national debt. So now it is time for someone else to attempt to decrease the national debt.

Trumps attempt to cut the national debt have not worked. Lots of excuses by the Trump followers. But excuses don't lower the national debt.
much truth, but we haven't heard any proposals from Biden etal to reduce the deficit/debt, have we?

Old 08-29-2020, 03:36 PM

88,802 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
And yet the bill was passed during the Adams administration and in the case of this bill, which can be seen online, Jefferson signed it also; he did not sign legislation he did not agree with since his assent was not needed. It required seamen to participate and to pay into the system.
Still unconstitutional. Health care and education are the purviews of each state. That's why they, and NOT the federal government, license health care professionals and educators.

Quote:
Clothing is first amendment? Great, I can go out naked to Walmart...it ain't gonna be pretty. But seriously, in VA, the State 12th Circuit Court upheld the mask mandate. It has not been appealed.
You apparently missed what I said about the fact that private sector businesses can mandate dress codes.

And VA's mandate doesn't apply everywhere like Biden proposed of his mandate.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 08-29-2020 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-29-2020, 03:44 PM

88,802 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the article is scant on details, and several times says "will help pay for" .... meaning "will pay for part of".

Record personal income taxes were collected in 2018. You can find receipts by income bracket. You can find that the tax cuts INCREASED the number of folks who paid $0 income taxes. You can find how many MORE people benefitted from the much higher standard deduction.

It's possible you can find how much th $10K SALT max deduction hurt "middle income" people in high tax states, but not likely. Like the article, those governors are more interested in crying foul.

I can tell you that MY income taxes went up (top 10%), and the income taxes from the top 1% went up.
My income tax went up, too. The culprit: the new $10,000 SALT deduction limit.

The SALT deduction was formerly unlimited and was a HUGE tax break for the rich. Trump and the GOP ended that huge tax break, post haste. For some odd reason, Biden, Pelosi, and the Democrats want to reinstate that huge tax break for the rich, effectively giving them a HUGE tax cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies