Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 04:29 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Stupid law, but as they say rules are rules.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...a-coronavirus/

Quote:
Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada, has some of the most beautiful sights in all of North America. Some might say the views are priceless. But one American managed to put a price tag on seeing the peaks and now faces a potential fine of more than a half-million dollars for visiting the area during the COVID-19 pandemic.

John Pennington, from Walton, Kentucky, was recently arrested in Banff for violating Canada's Quarantine Act. As you might suspect, that's a new law that was implemented to limit the spread of the coronavirus in the country, part of the country's broad approach to combating the disease. Thus far, fewer than 10,000 people have died from COVID-19 in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 05:04 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
In order to get into Canada he would have had to knowingly lie about passing through to Alaska.

Don't have much sympathy.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
For God’s sake, last time we drove from a Kentucky to the Northern Interior of Alaska it was a nine day drive with at least a six-day drive through Canada. You have to stop someplace to get food, gas, and to sleep and there are places on the Al-Can (Trans Canadian) highway where literally the only place you do that are “tourist” areas, including ones around national parks. Trust me, we would have avoided them if we could have because the prices were outrageous. Did they expect him to sleep in his car? Not get gas? Only use the side of the road to use the bathroom?

Old 08-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
It's amazing how often Americans think they can enter foreign countries, and purposely violate the rules they've been made aware of.

At least he won't be caned.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:10 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's amazing how often Americans think they can enter foreign countries, and purposely violate the rules they've been made aware of.

hmm i would bet that number is dwarfed by the literally tens of millions who come into this country illegally. And we aren't trying to take citizens jobs, use their social welfare nets and get free education for our kids. So what group is doing the most damage? And yes Americans should be obeying the rules of countries we go into but acting like we are so arrogant about it that we do it wily nilly compared to others is simply ludicrous.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:18 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
Quote:

Stupid Canadian rules.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:26 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Stupid Canadian rules.
Don't forget their lousy Bacon, Beers ok though and Mounties look pretty sharp.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:29 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:

It's amazing that those condemning this man have no issue with illegals in our country.

Not saying you, but many.

Americans tend to be arrogant travelers. You hear them use the phrase often: "In America we do this or don't do that."

You travel to another country you best remember, you aint in Kansas anymore. Most countries share the basic laws, it's the punishments that vary. In this case Canada has their quarantine law. The idiot violated it. While I think that the fine is way over the top, it isn't for me to decide.

You mentioned caned. Extreme? Yes, but compare Singapore's crime stats against a US city of the same approximate density. Singapore is one of the safest, crime free places in the world. Very clean, friendly people, just don't be stupid and try to smuggle drugs into Singapore or try to deface property. They basically have the same laws as the USA, just different punishments, and they take it seriously.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:34 PM

407 posts, read 122,995 times
Quote:

I've been held up at the border a few times. Once a customs agent told me "you're not in Kansas anymore, Toto" LOL. Right she was!

Old 08-29-2020, 06:49 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Trudeau better watch for reciprocation.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies