Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 08:51 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,738,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I don't think I boycott these, but I don't support them:
CNN
MSNBC
CBS, and other fake news media
Anything Hollywood
Ben and Jerry's ice cream
Any And All Liberals
Classical liberals too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 09:00 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The thing about the left and right wing.

They're parts of the same bird.

As is so clearly evidenced in this thread.

The very right wing makes fun of the very left wing for doing the exact same thing.

(And yes it is, despite the right wing insisting it isn't. When you get your knickers in a bunch over some small fairly meaningless tidbit about a company and decide to make a public issue of wanting them destroyed).
And again, someone who doesn't understand the difference between cancel culture and boycotting.

I don't go around on social media demanding that everyone follow what I choose not to buy or invest time in anymore. I don't demand that all of the people who are in companies I'm not going to buy from anymore be fired. I don't doxx them and find their personal addresses and harass them whenever they are out and about. I don't send death threats to them, or anyone for that matter.

I simply don't spend my money on them.

THAT is the difference, and anyone who tries to claim the 2 are the same is spreading propaganda.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:09 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And again, someone who doesn't understand the difference between cancel culture and boycotting.

I don't go around on social media demanding that everyone follow what I choose not to buy or invest time in anymore. I don't demand that all of the people who are in companies I'm not going to buy from anymore be fired. I don't doxx them and find their personal addresses and harass them whenever they are out and about. I don't send death threats to them, or anyone for that matter.

I simply don't spend my money on them.

THAT is the difference, and anyone who tries to claim the 2 are the same is spreading propaganda.
She’s got a point though. I can’t say that I NEVER boycott for political reasons, but most of the time, such boycotts do feel silly and snowflakey.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:16 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica93 View Post

I'd have to have extremely thin skin to boycott something like a professional sports team. All they do is play a kid's game and you're upset over them?

What did they do to get your panties in a wad? lol
Simple

There is a time and place for everything.
If I want to pay money to go to a political debate or something ideologically related, that is one thing. I may not like what is being said, but that was my choice.

However if I want to be entertained, whether it be sports, music, art museum, etc., I do not want politics and SJW rubbish ruining my relaxation/entertainment.
If I am laying on the beach, I do not want to see banner planes flying overhead saying "Biden sucks" or "Trump is a tyrant".
If I want to listen to Ted Nugent in concert, I am going there for R&R entertainment, not a political sermon.

So when fans are at a game to watch entertainers, we do not want their politics or causes to interfere with what we paid our hard earned money for.
Worse, when you start being disrespectful to the very people and country that makes it possible for them to live in the lap of luxury, I and others draw the line.
These fools apparently had the gall to walkout of games last week, because there were no fans in the stands.
Let them do that on a night where fans are in the stadium, and see how many season ticket orders get canceled the next day.

I will also note, I do not like being lectured to by people who barely know anything about the real world. Sure a few were top students and might even have a degree in political science. But most are ignorant coddled athletes who were pushed through schools (many that they never had the intelligence to get into, if not for their athletic ability).
We all have one vote, whether we are Einstein or someone that can't pass 5th grade math. But that does not mean Einstein will want to waste his time to listen to some ignorant and ungrateful fool lecture him.

`

Old 08-31-2020, 09:36 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-A
Papa John's pizza

Old 08-31-2020, 09:37 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
Msn
CNN
Msnbc
Pepsi
Starbucks
Dicks sporting goods
New York times and its affiliates (same company also owns many local newspapers)

Old 08-31-2020, 09:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
People talk a big game but they like their habits and outrage boycotts tend to be short lived. But what are some of the companies or products you have boycotted recently and stuck to? I started boycotting the Washington Post about 2 years ago, and I have not looked back So far this year, I've just completely quit cold turkey:
  • New York Times (this one is the most tragic, I just can't believe what they've done)
  • ESPN Radio 98.7 (non-stop woke, Peter Rosenberg on Kay Show works with Kaepernick's girlfriend)
  • Ben & Jerry's (not hard, there are so many other choices)
  • Nike (I will never wear a swoosh again so long as I live)
  • MLB Baseball (I was down to a casual fan, now I can't even bother to put it on TV)
  • NBA (I am DONE with them, I just can't anymore, goodbye Knicks forever)

I also quit CNN and MSNBC last year. NFL is turning out to be the biggest habit to quit. I am waiting to see to what they do with sitting out games or playing non-American national anthems. I don't know how I'll react, I really don't. I love watching the NFL but like the Times and ESPN radio I used to love those too but I can't explain it this force of betrayal is so overwhelming
Trump uses his bully pulpit to encourage boycotts. His most recent includes Goodyear Tires.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:43 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Msn
CNN
Msnbc
Pepsi
Starbucks
Dicks sporting goods
New York times and its affiliates (same company also owns many local newspapers)
Forgot I have also boycotted Pepsi since the early 70s. I found their taste test ads insulting to my intelligence. Sure someone might like it better than Coke in a blind taste test. But if you can't taste the difference, you are like the guy above without taste buds who doesn't like Chik Fil A.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:43 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-A
Papa John's pizza
What’s the story with Papa John’s? Based on your boycott of Christian organizations, I’m gathering you’re a liberal. I may just want to throw my business toward Papa!

Old 08-31-2020, 09:46 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What’s the story with Papa John’s? Based on your boycott of Christian organizations, I’m gathering you’re a liberal. I may just want to throw my business toward Papa!
The owner and spokesperson, who is no longer associated with them, said some insensitive things. They kicked him out.

Its kind of like the Chik-Fil-A boycott. Truett Cathey, who was a wonderful human being, died 6 years ago. He was the one who supported organizations that supported the traditional definition of marriage. Yet they still boycott Chik-Fil-A, much to their own loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies