Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 09:58 AM

3,746 posts, read 1,441,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
More 'cultural appropriation' nonsense.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...122735852.html
I guess Adele is now canceled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 10:15 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,167 times
Adele seems to have had a better personality when she was fat. She looks a lot better now, but it looks like she's giving off social media attention *****, weirdo, and pseudo-woke vibes ever since she dropped the weight. Being sexy/good-looking is one thing, but letting it get to you head is another. It's very unattractive, but there's all sorts of idiots who will positively reinforce this type of behavior.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 09-01-2020 at 10:27 AM..

Old 09-01-2020, 10:49 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Adele seems to have had a better personality when she was fat. She looks a lot better now, but it looks like she's giving off social media attention *****, weirdo, and pseudo-woke vibes ever since she dropped the weight. Being sexy/good-looking is one thing, but letting it get to you head is another. It's very unattractive, but there's all sorts of idiots who will positively reinforce this type of behavior.
I don't think she looks better. She is one of those people who is more attractive with some extra weight on her, imo. But yes her personality seems to have changed for the worse. She used to have flair and elegance about her, now she seems like ordinary annoying celeb.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:57 AM

26,475 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityfred11 View Post
The whole issue of "cultural appropriation" is just thinly veiled racism against white people.
It is.

All races, countries, and groups of people have borrowed from those outside of their race, country, and groups of people. That is how we advance, we borrow from others, we learn from others, we adopt from others.

If you were to flip the paradigm and start telling non-whites or non-Americans that they can't do things that white people started culturally or the US started culturally - those same racist liberals that care about cultural appropriation would speak of the injustice and how bigoted you were to do so.

Cultural appropriation is racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
As soon as Beyonce stops straightening her hair and dying it blond, I'll start caring.
Cultural Appropriation is a one way street. Studies show that liberals are significantly more likely to hold double standards. This is one of them.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:01 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
As soon as Beyonce stops straightening her hair and dying it blond, I'll start caring.
LOL. Exactly. All well-to-do women of color straighten their hair. Some even make their complexions lighter.

But I'm not complaining. A sister with straight hair in a lot of cases is super hot. Example: Danny Glover's oldest daughter in the movie Lethal Weapon. She's the one that had the crush on Mel Gibson's character in the movie. Wow, that chick was smoking hot in the movie. Traci Wolfe

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-01-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 09-01-2020, 11:13 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Nearly all US culture comes from elsewhere. Our entire culture is more or less appropriated. Lately, other cultures have been adopting elements from our own. It happens. I suppose if you feel like your culture is being slighted then it can cause sensitivities. It's an insecurity issue.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:35 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,167 times
If simply adapting something another culture created is bad (and if we used the culture of paleolithic Britons as some sort of non-appropriated cultural baseline), I guess we should all give up the solar calendar, agriculture, the numeral system, metal-working, the phonetic alphabet, our legal system, philosophy, and the wheel and everything derived from those. I'm not an expert on this, but I'm not sure if cultural appropriation in the woke sense goes this far. It's more about taking to mock/offend. But I dunno.

I don't think Adele intended any harm or offense with her hair-do/outfit.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:17 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
LOL. Exactly. All well-to-do women of color straighten their hair. Some even make their complexions lighter.

But I'm not complaining. A sister with straight hair in a lot of cases is super hot. Example: Danny Glover's oldest daughter in the movie Lethal Weapon. She's the one that had the crush on Mel Gibson's character in the movie. Wow, that chick was smoking hot in the movie. Traci Wolfe
Not the same though and you are wrong regarding well-to-do women. All well-to-do women of color do not straighten their hair, especially now. Doing those things were for better acceptance in society and were/are detrimental to health. Thankfully, now straightening hair -especially with chemical- is decreasing.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:18 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Nearly all US culture comes from elsewhere. Our entire culture is more or less appropriated. Lately, other cultures have been adopting elements from our own. It happens. I suppose if you feel like your culture is being slighted then it can cause sensitivities. It's an insecurity issue.
This isn’t about US culture though. Some Americans just felt the need to make an issue.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:14 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
I think part of it is to show off her new figure but why shouldn't she? She's probably worked hard to get it and is feeling proud of herself.....good for her! She is basically sending people 'good wishes' and is using the Notting Hill Carnival as a subject matter to do it - in other words she is doing something 'nice'…......good for her! Thanks for the good wishes and you look fantastic. Let's hope the culturally rich Carnival returns next year and the same wonderful mix of ethnicities come together for a huge, happy, multi racial party that the Notting Hill Carnival is and anybody turning this into something of hate can f*ck off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies