Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 07:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

You folks know me. I'm your friendly anti-fascist supporter, and I argue with a ton of you on the right all the time. And I have a unpopular opinion. The 17 year old kid shouldn't be charged with murder, its manslaughter.

The NY times put together a timeline that is pretty good in my opinion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/u...ing-video.html

TLDR of the important stuff:
The first guy killed. Immediately before the shooting we see this kid running, someone punchs him in the back, and then a second or so later a gun is fired behind him. He turns...and a guy lunges at him. He shoots and kills him.

This is a 17 year old kid, and the gun being shot off makes him fear for his life. Thats reasonable to me. And while I dont believe his life was in danger-but serious injury was absolutely on the list of possibilities. And he reasonably believes his life was as he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. He doesn't know who shot, he just got punched by someone or something, and its chaotic. But the guy lunging for him clearly was not intending to give him a hug. I think this was reasonable

But when he shoots the next guy killing him....THAT one I have a issue with. Its NOT unreasonable to believe that someone will take you into custody after you shoot someone. And I dont think he has a reasonable fear of his life enough at that point to justify shooting someone. But I also do not believe this rises to murder. I think its manslaughter. I think he deserves some time in jail. But I also believe his age and the chaos of the moment to be taken into account.

Now we've heard some things that he threatened folks that said bad things about trump all the time. So that TOO needs to be looked at, and considered. But so far from what I have seen....I dont think this deserves a murder charge. But as time goes by more information will come out, and maybe I will change my opinion. But I think folks rushed to snap judgements based upon their political beliefs when they called for him to get murder charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 07:42 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
What do you think the governor and the attorney general political party is.... Just guess...

Old 08-31-2020, 07:47 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Wisconsin doesn't have stand your ground laws. It is a murky jury determination whether deadly force was necessary. He will have his day in court, though I expect it will be plea bargained before then - probably to manslaughter as you say.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:59 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
He could’ve stayed home. He didn’t.
He could’ve kept his rifle locked up. He didn’t.
He could get away with murder. He shouldn’t.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:05 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Why would you possibly think his life was not in immediate danger at the first attack alone? A mob of leftist extremists was attacking him-not just one guy (one thug just happened to get there first). Across the country these same mobs have been killing innocent people, beating them nearly to death, leaving them with brain injuries, etc. Kyle had NO reason to expect that this vicious thug attacking him would do any less. And given that he was a convicted pedophile, it's likely he would have done worse.

As to the second time the mob attacked him, he was kicked in the head, struck in the head with a deadly weapon and attacked by a man with a handgun. Any one of these could have caused grave harm or death. PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM LESS than what this child suffered. The fact that 2 of these attackers were convicted criminals further demonstrates the danger.

Now, I'm curious, what has the (now) disarmed guy been charged with? Attempted murder? He was a convict with a gun-pretty sure he wasn't out there cleaning up graffiti. What about the thug that kicked this child in the head?

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 08-31-2020 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-31-2020, 08:13 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
... What about the thug that kicked this child in the head?
17 is old enough to enlist in the marines, I can attest to that.

Apparently this 'child' had no problem beating on a girl not too long before that. In the head no less. Is it true?

Old 08-31-2020, 08:20 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Hi all!

You folks know me. I'm your friendly anti-fascist supporter, and I argue with a ton of you on the right all the time. And I have a unpopular opinion. The 17 year old kid shouldn't be charged with murder, its manslaughter.

The NY times put together a timeline that is pretty good in my opinion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/u...ing-video.html

TLDR of the important stuff:
The first guy killed. Immediately before the shooting we see this kid running, someone punchs him in the back, and then a second or so later a gun is fired behind him. He turns...and a guy lunges at him. He shoots and kills him.

This is a 17 year old kid, and the gun being shot off makes him fear for his life. Thats reasonable to me. And while I dont believe his life was in danger-but serious injury was absolutely on the list of possibilities. And he reasonably believes his life was as he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. He doesn't know who shot, he just got punched by someone or something, and its chaotic. But the guy lunging for him clearly was not intending to give him a hug. I think this was reasonable

But when he shoots the next guy killing him....THAT one I have a issue with. Its NOT unreasonable to believe that someone will take you into custody after you shoot someone. And I dont think he has a reasonable fear of his life enough at that point to justify shooting someone. But I also do not believe this rises to murder. I think its manslaughter. I think he deserves some time in jail. But I also believe his age and the chaos of the moment to be taken into account.

Now we've heard some things that he threatened folks that said bad things about trump all the time. So that TOO needs to be looked at, and considered. But so far from what I have seen....I dont think this deserves a murder charge. But as time goes by more information will come out, and maybe I will change my opinion. But I think folks rushed to snap judgements based upon their political beliefs when they called for him to get murder charges.
Much respect sir for a well reasoned view. I don't know if you can get him for manslaughter, but I do think we agree on the particulars of what happened.

Too bad all parties involved didn't just stay home and mind their own business. Well over 100 of the rioters were from out of town and they didn't have any business being there either.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
He could’ve stayed home. He didn’t.
He could’ve kept his rifle locked up. He didn’t.
He could get away with murder. He shouldn’t.
The police are there, you should of gone home... You didn't...
You brought weapons and used it against officers and you should of gone to prison... You didn't...
You attacked someone and forced them to defend themself... You are a Democrat...

Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Unpopular opinion, the 17 year old kids isnt guilty of murder.
Fine. He wasn't charged with murder, so no worries.
He was charged with first-degree intentional homicide, one count of first-degree reckless homicide, one count of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and two counts of first-degree reckless endangerment.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
17 is old enough to enlist in the marines, I can attest to that.

Apparently this 'child' had no problem beating on a girl not too long before that. In the head no less. Is it true?
That one goes on the rumor mill heap until we have confirmation. I've seen highly unreliable news sources reporting it, but I'm still waiting on a credible source with verifiable sources. We'll see if it's true. If it's true, we'll see what the particulars are.

End of the day, it's not going to matter in court. Either Kyle had reasonable cause to fear that he was about to be killed or assaulted or he did not. We'll see how it shakes out in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies