Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 10:26 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times

Advertisements

Why do Democrat’s lionize the media so much and act as they are above reproach? Even polls show lost don’t trust the mainstream media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 10:28 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Why do Democrat’s lionize the media so much and act as they are above reproach? Even polls show lost don’t trust the mainstream media
The Media/Democrat Alliance is purposely causing the divisiveness. The Media is a huge problem because it is 95% Democrat and far left.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:40 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
The Media spent the last 48 hours breathlessly pushing an absurd, unsourced smear against the President.

Meanwhile, Rochester, NY is being ravaged and the Media is silent, actively covering for BLM.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:09 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
The media covers a lot of ground. And that's part of the problem. There's news and then there's commentary.

The Christian Science Monitor is different from the grocery store tabloids.

I don't lionize any of them. But some are more reliable than others. Many people do not understand the difference.

This is no longer a 3 channel+ PBS world we live in. Anybody with money can buy a TV channel. They do not have to apply to the government.

As always, anybody can start a publication any time they wish. Think the media is biased? Start your own.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:51 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The media covers a lot of ground. And that's part of the problem. There's news and then there's commentary.

The Christian Science Monitor is different from the grocery store tabloids.

I don't lionize any of them. But some are more reliable than others. Many people do not understand the difference.

This is no longer a 3 channel+ PBS world we live in. Anybody with money can buy a TV channel. They do not have to apply to the government.

As always, anybody can start a publication any time they wish. Think the media is biased? Start your own.
I didn't mention it in this thread, and besides this post I don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread but people are having a hard time discerning between the two.

This entire post is accurate.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:55 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
First thing, every person comes at any subject through their own POV. Call it bias.

IMO, most Americans never knew there was a fairness doctrine and an equal time rule. If they did, they accepted the title but never research exactly what it meant. Reagan rescinded both so Roger Ailes could do Fox and Rush Limbaugh could have a radio program. They was a difference between cable and broadcast.

What is reporting and what is commentary? In political information, nobody, congresspersons or staff gives the pros and cons of any proposed legislation anymore.

The public does little research. So it is left to the media to tell us what is going on. My friend who was in print but had to get another job when the paper shut down, was the producer of the local 6 and 10 PM news.He said a trained chimp could do the job. The hardest part when he made an assignment was teaching the reporter why it mattered. As long as looks are more important than brains, what can we expect?

Conservatives have been bitching about the liberal media since before some people decided as American citizens, all of us should have the same civil rights. At least that's what media was like back when I was a Bircher fellow traveler. That bunch had me convinced Lucille Ball was a communist.
Great post, although you type worse than I do.

I have seen early episodes of Cavett where he mentiones the fairness doctrine, and even mentions how it was liberals that complained about it.......

Old 09-06-2020, 07:29 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Great post, although you type worse than I do.

I have seen early episodes of Cavett where he mentiones the fairness doctrine, and even mentions how it was liberals that complained about it.......
I had to take tap dancing in high school and college PE. I couldn't do that either.

Step shuffle ball change was impossible. I took an incomplete in PE.

My friend taught HS typing tried for years to get me to type properly. It's a coordination problem.

But, DH uses me to eyeball level instead of getting the survey equipment.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:41 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Is there really a bias? If yes, I'd like to learn more about it, and it will help me to see it illustrated with some facts.
This has been discussed ad naseum and I have posted actual real world documented examples on other threads.

Liberals will often scream the budget for an office or agency has been "slashed" and the sky is falling, blah, blah, blah.

What actually happened was the budget of that office or agency didn't increase as much as some people -- typically Liberal think tanks and other Liberal pundits -- thought it should be increased.

Sorry, that is not a budget cut in spite of the lies the Liberal media spins.

Consider your wages. Typically you got a 4.5% to 5.0% wage increase, but this year you only got a 3.3% wage increase. Your wages were not "slashed" no matter how much the Liberal media spins it.

We can test that right here:

$25.00 + ($25.00 - 3.3%) = $25.83

See? Your wages weren't slashed.

Liberals only do that when Republicans are running the show. When Democrats are running the show, Liberals never mention that the Department of Education's budget only increased 6% instead of 10%, which again demonstrates the bias of the Liberal media.

Another real world example is Social Security cuts.

The Liberal media falsely accused Trump of cutting Social Security benefits.

What really happened is Congress enacted a law stating that if you receive Social Security Disability benefits, you cannot simultaneously receive unemployment benefits.

Do you not see the contradiction?

You are telling one part of the federal government that you are permanently disabled and you cannot work and therefore you should be showered with Social Security benefits.

Then, you're telling another part of the federal government and your State government that you are available to work, you are able to work and that you are seeking work and therefore you should receive unemployment benefits.

Do you not see the incongruity?

That's fraud, waste and abuse that needs to be ferreted out and Republicans did that by closing that loop-hole in the law.

When I was teaching at UC, another doctoral candidate was teaching a course on media bias under the Political Science Department (the English and Communications Departments had their own media bias courses).

She and I would coordinate our lectures. So, when I was teaching Intro to US Foreign Policy and covering the Castro period, where the US put Castro in power, then brought him to the US on an 11-city tour to Hail the Conquering Hero, and then the US turned on Castro when he tried to tax US companies in Cuba and then really turned on him when Castro seized their assets after they failed to comply with a court order to pay back taxes. She would show the media bias before/after those events. Students that were taking both our classes could see how media bias and foreign policy are intertwined (especially since the government is feeding foreign policy info to the media).

Old 09-06-2020, 10:44 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Just wanting to hear reasons, and maybe a little insight as to why/how it has inhibited the Republican Party.

Please keep it civil, and help me understand. From my perspective, they've occupied the Whitehouse more in the last 40 years than Dems, and there has been a pretty healthy back and forth of having the majority in both House and Senate.

Is there really a bias? If yes, I'd like to learn more about it, and it will help me to see it illustrated with some facts. Or is it just a "feeling" that both sides get, that they are being held back?

Keep it friendly and informative please. Will just skip over offensive posts or anything that tries to discredit the question with labels like "TDS" or such...

Thanks.
Because they are. Pay attention!

Old 09-06-2020, 02:39 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhon View Post
Fox news is for racist old people that havent moved with the times of today...

All other media reports how things are supposed to be....

Being racist is bad, its not okay to be racist in 2020.

Make Racists Afraid Again.
You are going to have to take away lots and lots of guns if you do........lots and lots...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies