Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 11:03 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Some liberal states such as CA and NY, I believe, have already instituted eviction restrictions months ago. It's not a conservative or Trump agenda. Furthermore, this is done under the health act of 1944. So it's not something Trump invented recently.
NYS's eviction moritorum all but ends on 1 October 2020. Courts have said unless or until something more substantial is passed into law they aren't going to keep kicking can down road via Cuomo's various and often confusing moratoriums.

This action by DT now throws a spanner into that process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 11:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ic/5686402002/

Full disclosure. I'm a liberal. I own a rental housing business.

Note that this moratorium does not in any way provide assistance to landlords. You know what this moratorium will do? Drive the small landlord businesses out of business because only the big guys will survive this. Small landlord businesses like mine has received zero assistance and will receive zero assistance.

I don't get it. Conservatives claim to favor small businesses. But why keep trying to kill us off?
From what I understand he can only impose this on FHA or HUD financed housing. But I agree with you this is incomprehensible, the huge management companies can probably get through it but not the people around here who own a duplex or two, or a few SFH's for extra income

Old 09-01-2020, 11:05 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
True, but Trump doesn't have to emulate the stupidity of the leadership of those states. Who is putting a moratorium of the property owners expenses? Mortgage? Fuel? Utilities? Landscaping? Insurance? Snowplowing? Have any of the greedy fools running these cities and states (or Trump for that matter) even put a moratorium on their property taxes? How do they expect property owners to survive when they are forced to provide for deadbeats for months? Even more than most states eviction laws already required?

Smart landlords would just make sure the insurance is paid up and arrange for the buildings to go up in flames.
I am sure the landlords are in a bad situation and I empathize. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of Trump haters. When the liberals do the same thing, they clap and cheer. When Trump does it, it's bad bad orange man.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Some liberal states such as CA and NY, I believe, have already instituted eviction restrictions months ago. It's not a conservative or Trump agenda. Furthermore, this is done under the health act of 1944. So it's not something Trump invented recently.
California has no program of forgiveness for non-payment of rent. A landlord can still give normal eviction notices and proceed with the eviction proceedings but the court won't file them until they list the moratorium. When it's lifted the money will still be owed and non-payment will result in a judicial eviction which will make it virtually impossible for the tenant to find another rental for seven years.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:09 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
From what I understand he can only impose this on FHA or HUD financed housing. But I agree with you this is incomprehensible, the huge management companies can probably get through it but not the people around here who own a duplex or two, or a few SFH's for extra income
Wrong!

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...a-renters.html

This isn't like those suspect EOs DT has issued previously. This time they dug deep into existing statues on books to find something in 1947 laws regarding quarantines.

Eviction moratorium is coming out of Centers for Disease Control and is based upon (the rather dubious) premise that controlling evictions will stem spread of covid-19.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Damn, if it was a Democrat that did this, you all Trump haters would be praising that Democrat like he/she was Jesus or something.

Trump does it, it is an act of evil.

But what the hell, Trump got hate for pardoning Susan B. Anthony, lol.

This is why people should just stick with judging policies, instead making just some blanket statement of "I hate so and so".

Old 09-01-2020, 11:15 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Your short answer it that President Tump is trying to buy votes from people hurting for money and it happens to come at the expense of landlords. He doesn't want to hurt landlord. He just knows if he doesn't get re-elected, he can't help anybody. So you have to hold on past the elections.

The long answer is, Trump is dealing with problems liberal mayors and governors made. Trump has been begging liberal mayors and governors to open their states and state economies for 5 months now.

5 months ago, President Trump said, "We can't let the Coronavirus cure be worse than the disease". He recognized very early in this mess that liberal Mayors and Governors who were shutting everything down were destroying their economies and really damaging everyone financially.

So for 5 months, Trump has been begging liberals to open their states for tenants can earn the money to pay landlords. They flat refuse.

So in fairness, President Trump is stuck with the financial ruin made by the Liberal Mayors and Governors.

He needs to get re-elected, and there are tons more tenants than landlords, so he has not choice but to appeal to the tenants for votes at the expense of the landlords votes.

It is that simple.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Wrong!

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...a-renters.html

This isn't like those suspect EOs DT has issued previously. This time they dug deep into existing statues on books to find something in 1947 laws regarding quarantines.

Eviction moratorium is coming out of Centers for Disease Control and is based upon (the rather dubious) premise that controlling evictions will stem spread of covid-19.
That's going to be really bad, what a stupid thing to do. If he really wanted to keep people from getting evicted he could have had HUD issue 6 or 12 month rapid rehousing vouchers.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So for 5 months, Trump has been begging liberals to open their states for tenants can earn the money to pay landlords. They flat refuse.
BS red states keep trying to open up schools only to have to close them again. It's not a partisan issue, it's a public health problem

Old 09-01-2020, 11:23 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I hope the people who skipped rent, get permanently penalized on their renting record, and not allowed to let it slide as covid ****. they better have consequences for screwing over the landlords.
Even the people forced out of work who waited for months only to never even receive a cent in unemployment because the government ended up never working their cases? All those people who thought they'd get their money any day now and never fathomed that they wouldn't receive their money so they kept waiting expecting to get it and get paid up any day now? So these people who were victimized by the government through no fault of their own now have to have a blemish on their rental history and have trouble finding a place to live if they ever get an income again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies