Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

I have to give the mods here credit for modding and not infringing on someone's free speech. Every other major social platform has started selective censorship. I thought liberalism is about free speech and the fight against censorship and they are doing exactly the opposite. After all it's the elites that owns these public social platforms so they like to control how people think and read.

Which is sad because Twitter over a decade ago it was open and I use it all the time but now, people I know are afraid to say certain things or use hidden clues to say things. Facebook is just a huge mess now, can't get anything coherent discussed in large FB groups. And Reddit is probably the worst platform, completely ran by facist liberal trolls. If you call out anyone who supports the violent protests, you are going to get harassed by trolls on reddit or Twitter and the mods do not care. They seem to condone or support people who disagree with their views on getting harassed.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:43 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I have to give the mods here credit for modding and not infringing on someone's free speech. Every other major social platform has started selective censorship. I thought liberalism is about free speech and the fight against censorship and they are doing exactly the opposite. After all it's the elites that owns these public social platforms so they like to control how people think and read.

Which is sad because Twitter over a decade ago it was open and I use it all the time but now, people I know are afraid to say certain things or use hidden clues to say things. Facebook is just a huge mess now, can't get anything coherent discussed in large FB groups. And Reddit is probably the worst platform, completely ran by facist liberal trolls. If you call out anyone who supports the violent protests, you are going to get harassed by trolls on reddit or Twitter and the mods do not care. They seem to condone or support people who disagree with their views on getting harassed.

Fascist, Liberal, trolls ? Not sure it's possible to be all those things.

Reddit is an echo chamber (like many sites), not interested in constructive discussion. This place isn't either since the most divisive threads just move from one polar opinion to the next like a perpetual motion machine.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:48 AM

290 posts, read 164,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yeah, I've noticed this too... You're more free to express your thoughts here and people seem to be more level-headed. You can't say anything on Facebook anymore without being labeled a racist. A while ago, I responded to a local Chicago newspaper article on Facebook about taking police out of Chicago public schools. I just said there's gangs in Chicago schools, so police should always be present. People said my comment was racist....SMDH.

Really? I'm assuming because gangs = violence/death right? What about domestic violence which is common in alot of homes in all demographics all over the world with children present in homes. Shall we place police in homes too now? If you say yes you're being consistent..if you say no, then you're either hateful or a racist. Pick.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:49 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The political board does seem to be about letting people speak their mind. That is NOT true of all the sub-forums. Some are worse than Facebook.
There are other forums?

Old 09-02-2020, 09:53 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
I already see what City Data is all about

For many on C-D it's all about spinning a clever thread title to push their political bias. I've been known to play that game myself :-)

Examples of headlines written by others, not me:

• Did the Democrats just admit that they will steal the election?
  • Peaceful Protests: Set Fire To Minority Owned Business... Kids Inside
  • California is a Failed State. How Do We Know? They're Moving to Arizona in Droves.

Sometimes they spin so hard I just laugh at them.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:53 AM

6,102 posts, read 2,723,766 times
My personal opinion. I think unless your a MAGA you won't get far on here lol a lot of favoritism but such is on most forums.

But then again this Forum is 90 percent drama. CD has many other forums that are more chill where people respect each other for the most part.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:55 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
There's some people who have given me some ish on CD and banned me for a few days, which I felt was unfair.

WITH THAT BEING SAID: City-Data is infinitely more fair than many, if not all, the social media platforms out there.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:56 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Oh, and the other game played on C-D is the "don't click" game.

Let's say a liberal posts a thread where the title has a left spin. The righties won't click on it so it sinks to the bottom.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:01 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
I use only two social media's. City-Data and Twitter. I've been on both of them for about 9 years.

City Data is really good for information. And yes, for the most part, free speech is allowed here.

I like Twitter for videos and other interesting things that hit my "feed" plus the real time communictions.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:18 AM

826 posts, read 244,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Hopefully there will never be an app for this forum.

You are right, the moderation here is fairly hands off, but the down side of that is that the forum can easily be dominated by flaming, trolling, and flooding in various forms.
What would be the downside to an app?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies