Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 01:17 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Wow. So any irresponsible person can borrow for law or medical school, run up a debt of $200,000, graduate, declare bankruptcy the next day, and then get a job for $150,000?
From what I read previously, it is the ones that could afford to pay it back that don't pay it back. They should garnish their wages like they do for other debts. My husband, my self and our son all paid our loans back on time, and we weren't making that much money, but wanted the debt gone. Maybe we should get a refund as the money would be really nice for retirement.

Quote:
There's such a thing as income-based repayment, and forbearance for periods of undue hardship. Why should this couple be allowed to foist their loan obligations onto other people to pay off?
Sadly, that is how the system seems to work. What is so sad is those that didn't want to take on the debt go out and go to work at whatever job they can get, and many of them will attend classes on a pay-as-you basis, and to them, this is a real slap in the face.

All too often when they get worthless degrees, which should they have researched, they would have realized there were no jobs that paid enough to make it worthwhile to take out the loans, they whine about not making enough money. Too bad!

All of these deadbeats end up costing those that work and pay their debts money as those institutions get back their money some how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 01:19 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Wow - I want reparations then - the $6000 I borrowed in "79, the $30 thousand I borrowed to pay for each of my kids first years and then I'll want my kids to get back all their monies that they paid - $150,000.

If you enter into a contract - you are responsible. If you don't pay your mortgage - the bank takes your home, if you don't pay your car payment - the car company repossesses it and if I don't pay my utilities - they get shut off.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:20 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Isn't pretty much every debt discharged during bankruptcy a debt owed? Why are student loans the only debt that's "unfair" to discharge?
Because other debts - like a car loan or a house note - have actual collateral that can be repossessed. That's why unsecured loan debt is always so high - to make up for the risk. Federal student loans, rates of which are held down by the government, charge lower rates because they CANNOT be discharged.

If federal student loans are dischargeable in bankruptcy, virtually every kid who comes out of college with a zero net worth (or less, when you add in the debt) will just declare bankruptcy. Student loans would become a joke, and even people who could afford to pay for college would borrow so they can take the summer semester in England, go out West skiing, spend spring break in Cancun. Then, upon graduation, they could say, "oops....I'm bankrupt!"

Old 09-02-2020, 01:24 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Wow. So any irresponsible person can borrow for law or medical school, run up a debt of $200,000, graduate, declare bankruptcy the next day, and then get a job for $150,000?
No, you cannot declare bankruptcy the next day. You have to spend so many years showing an attempt to repay. You also have to show that it's an undue hardship to repay and that the circumstances are unlikely to change. It's a high standard you have to meet to show all of this and be granted a discharge.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Anyone can get a free education. Just go to a local college and sit-in on the courses. Most professors are okay with this. I do it all the time.
Colleges are closed to the general public in many places due to covid.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:31 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
No, you cannot declare bankruptcy the next day. You have to spend so many years showing an attempt to repay. You also have to show that it's an undue hardship to repay and that the circumstances are unlikely to change. It's a high standard you have to meet to show all of this and be granted a discharge.
Her "excuse" was that the loan was so difficult to manage that they wouldn't be able to keep their house AND continue to pay the monthly amount. So IOW, she and husband bought a house they couldn't afford, when you factor in their other financial obligations.

What the judge should have done, rather than just wipe it all out, is work out a repayment schedule that was amenable to Navient. She knew when she took out the loan that she would have to pay it back.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:33 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
The main reason she got the loan in the first place....was it's non dischargable
...that the agreement she and the lender agreed to

Judge comes along and discharges the loan.....because it's not fair

All of her other bills, including mortgage, are paid and on time....
...the only bill she can't pay...is the one that's "not fair"

dear Lord in heaven....the world is run by lunatics

Old 09-02-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Because other debts - like a car loan or a house note - have actual collateral that can be repossessed. That's why unsecured loan debt is always so high - to make up for the risk. Federal student loans, rates of which are held down by the government, charge lower rates because they CANNOT be discharged.

If federal student loans are dischargeable in bankruptcy, virtually every kid who comes out of college with a zero net worth (or less, when you add in the debt) will just declare bankruptcy. Student loans would become a joke, and even people who could afford to pay for college would borrow so they can take the summer semester in England, go out West skiing, spend spring break in Cancun. Then, upon graduation, they could say, "oops....I'm bankrupt!"
They cannot just declare bankruptcy. There is a high burden that must be met. It is not true that they cannot be discharged though. It's just very hard to do.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:36 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Her "excuse" was that the loan was so difficult to manage that they wouldn't be able to keep their house AND continue to pay the monthly amount. So IOW, she and husband bought a house they couldn't afford, when you factor in their other financial obligations.

What the judge should have done, rather than just wipe it all out, is work out a repayment schedule that was amenable to Navient. She knew when she took out the loan that she would have to pay it back.
They did that.

Throughout the process it looks like they paid a little over $100,000.

Navient just kept adding tens of thousands to the balance. While they were going through chapter 7 they added something like $37,000.

Navient are scum suckers. The whole industry is, including schools. It’s predatory of young people and opening up student loans to discharge in bankruptcy is a great thing for the people. Lenders will have to stop handing it out like free candy and that’ll drag on the increase in tuition that is way more than other costs.

Stop being so bitter towards people.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times
Quote:
Colleges are closed to the general public in many places due to covid.
So? That's a temporary, short-term measure. It's not an excuse to put tax-payers on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies