Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 05:01 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times

Advertisements

Student Loan Debt is not "dischargeable" in Bankruptcy. Did something change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 05:01 PM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The same banks that screwed up the housing crisis and got bailed out?
The banks paid back their bailouts with interest.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:10 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Ok, so you were debt-free for the first 18 years of your life.

How did your husband force you to go to college? Were you a slave? What country do you live in?
Not really, thanks to identity theft while I was a child I was in debt by quart of a million dollars by the time I escaped my husband.

I was never taught how to handle finances though as a child. It was a man's place to handle finances. And public school does not teach children about such matters, either.

I lived in a very strict religious area. Wives were supposed to submit to their husbands. I had been raised since childhood that girls were supposed to grow up, get married, and become housewives. My parents and the church forced the marriage on me before I grew up though. I was a child when they had me marry that thing. Going to college was better than getting another beating at the time. He said I was going to college so I went to college.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Student Loan Debt is not "dischargeable" in Bankruptcy. Did something change?
Nothing changed. They just don't want the public to know there are certain circumstances that allow them to be discharged since a lot of people would qualify if they knew about it.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Not really, thanks to identity theft while I was a child I was in debt by quart of a million dollars by the time I escaped my husband.

I was never taught how to handle finances though as a child. It was a man's place to handle finances. And public school does not teach children about such matters, either.

I lived in a very strict religious area. Wives were supposed to submit to their husbands. I had been raised since childhood that girls were supposed to grow up, get married, and become housewives. My parents and the church forced the marriage on me before I grew up though. I was a child when they had me marry that thing. Going to college was better than getting another beating at the time. He said I was going to college so I went to college.
So you were brainwashed into thinking you have to obey other people, and now you want the tax-payers to bail you out of your mistakes?

Old 09-02-2020, 07:26 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
But they have high interest rates to offset the higher risk. The tax-payers offer a no collateral, low-interest student loan, and in return, you have to agree to not discharge the loan.
This is about private loans. Not public. The government loans are more reasonable. The private ones are a scam.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
So you were brainwashed into thinking you have to obey other people, and now you want the tax-payers to bail you out of your mistakes?

How are the taxpayers bailing me out of my mistakes? I didn't make mistakes by being obedient. I did as I was raised to do as are other children growing up. It is impossible for me to ever be able to even hold down a minimum wage job thus it is impossible for me to ever pay back the loans. All the bankruptcy will do is acknowledge the obvious. I did nothing to cause my health problems, so it isn't my fault. The loans will not be repaid no matter what. The money won't be repaid whether it's wiped out in bankruptcy or not. There is no bail out. It's a bankruptcy wipe out. The debt is erased.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
How are the taxpayers bailing me out of my mistakes? I didn't make mistakes by being obedient. I did as I was raised to do as are other children growing up. It is impossible for me to ever be able to even hold down a minimum wage job thus it is impossible for me to ever pay back the loans. All the bankruptcy will do is acknowledge the obvious. I did nothing to cause my health problems, so it isn't my fault. The loans will not be repaid no matter what. The money won't be repaid whether it's wiped out in bankruptcy or not. There is no bail out. It's a bankruptcy wipe out. The debt is erased.
I don't think you understand. Being obedient was your mistake.

How is it that in all those 18 years of your life, you never learned that you aren't a slave to other people? You never asked yourself why you have to blindly obey other people, and what would happen if you didn't? You never asked a friend, a teacher, a loan counselor, no one? You never even thought to look this up on the internet?

Old 09-02-2020, 08:58 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand. Being obedient was your mistake.

How is it that in all those 18 years of your life, you never learned that you aren't a slave to other people? You never asked yourself why you have to blindly obey other people, and what would happen if you didn't? You never asked a friend, a teacher, a loan counselor, no one? You never even thought to look this up on the internet?
Wait, you actually think kids are being taught that?

Bwahahahahahaha!

They’re too busy with standardized testing and teaching to lowest tier.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:25 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why should "student debt" be erased

you chose to go to college
you chose to enter into a contract for a loan

you gave your word, that you would pay that loan off

do the proper thing, keep your word, honor your contract, and pay off YOUR debt,...don't expect someone else to pay your debt

so what you are saying is YOUR WORD..YOUR BOND is just crap

you entered a contract to get a loan for the college degree YOU CHOSE... they we nice enough to contract you that loan... your word, your bond says you are responsible to pay it back....

so what you are showing everyone (to include your kids) is that your word means nothing, your bond means nothing, and that you have zero morals or ethics
I chose to try and make mine and my wife's and my kids lives better and I refuse to be punished with overpriced debt to do it. Government can kiss my butt, I am having to pay for housing for BOTH of us and yet we have never even stepped foot on a campus! We do online college. When the US finally decides to catch up with the rest of the civilized world when it comes to university education this won't be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
You do realize you are hurting other taxpayers when you say “the government “? You are no better than ANTIFA or BLM. The world owes you nothing education included. Pay your loans like the rest of us are doing. You received a service for that money and you should pay it back.
Either the world can take care of every citizen who can't take care of themselves OR the government can insure every citizen can get a quality education and then a job and they become taxpayers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The government is made up of taxpayers. THAT is who is on the hook when you shirk your financial responsibilities to honor a contract.
Oh well. The TAXPAYERS should demand the government stop hurting EVERYONE but the rich when it comes to people wanting to get educated to have a decent life. Only people I care about is my family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I repped you because I feel the same, but you sign a contract for a mortgage or a car loan, too, so it is not just an issue of contract.
Nope. You don't NEED a home to buy you can always rent, you don't NEED a new car you can always buy used with cash, you DO need a college education to get a decent job, if I didn't then hell I would have had a great job YEARS ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies