Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 12:51 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,496,291 times

Advertisements

Looks like they will be making more $$$$ then ever.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-...191953769.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 01:34 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,661,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Looks like they will be making more $$$$ then ever.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-...191953769.html
If they can get that money then yeah. The reason is simple, sports are the only place advertisers can find young / middle aged males and all their discretionary income. Guys don't really watch TV anymore in big numbers aside from sports

Old 12-28-2020, 09:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,661,210 times
Christmas Day NBA ratings take another hit after year of political messaging and criticisms
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...and-criticisms

Old 12-28-2020, 09:50 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,274,564 times
The NFL is so decimated by everyone who is abandoning them...that they're expanding their schedule to 17 games next year.

I think the NFL isn't particularly worried about a few grousers on an internet bulletin board.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:29 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
The NFL is so decimated by everyone who is abandoning them...that they're expanding their schedule to 17 games next year.

I think the NFL isn't particularly worried about a few grousers on an internet bulletin board.
Maybe they'll be fine. The younger generation have been indoctrinated not to care about morals or scruples. The NFL has signed off on long time fans such as myself. If we stick around and keep funneling our discretionary income their way they will take it, but they have given us the middle finger and essentially told us to pack sand with their obnoxious 'woke' nonsense.

For my part, on opening night I waited until the first obnoxious instance of such and turned the TV off. I had been a 50 year fan. Started watching in 1970 as an 8 year old boy and made it through this years Super Bowl. Since opening night I have not watched the NFL, I have not clicked on any site or page they are affiliated with and I have purposefully avoided purchasing products that sponsor the NFL. I was a big NFL spender. I bought new jerseys every couple years, pennants, t-shirts, jackets and every kind of swag they market. I had season tickets for a number of years and in the years I didn't I generally attended at least two games. When I lived in Arizona, I flew home to Ohio every football season to attend a game. All of that has come to an end. They have seen my last dime.

With that said, I am not bitter. I have found that I really do not miss it. I have made great use of my time and funds in other ways. I have friends that have done exactly as I have done. Several in fact, and I have friends that really dislike what the NFL has done but they have been unable to give it up. That is their choice. It's everyone's choice.

However, to brush it off as a 'few grousers' is disingenuous. My response to the NFL is not unique in the slightest.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:25 AM

15,936 posts, read 12,236,371 times
I've watched a number of games and haven't really seen lots of political shaming so I've kept watching. The might mention something nicely for 30 seconds but it's not like they are bashing you over the head with it like your typical leftie late night talk show does.

There's more questionable calls by the refs than political messaging during a typical game.... Last packers game....lined up offsides to negate a blocked field goal...of course the coach could have challenged that but didn't.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furnier View Post
Maybe they'll be fine. The younger generation have been indoctrinated not to care about morals or scruples. The NFL has signed off on long time fans such as myself. If we stick around and keep funneling our discretionary income their way they will take it, but they have given us the middle finger and essentially told us to pack sand with their obnoxious 'woke' nonsense.
Yep, grousing.

Claiming that the younger generation doesn't care about morals or scruples goes back thousands of years. And the older generation is wrong about that every time. It's just the world changing around you. When you're young, you embrace change; when you're old, you resist change. <shrugs>

If you want disingenuous, try grousing about someone taking a knee for the anthem while, five minutes before, there's a giant US flag rolled out across the entire field - HORIZONTALLY - in clear violation of the Flag Code.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:12 AM

34,175 posts, read 18,482,484 times
It's funny. I don't miss the NFL at all, nor any other Pro or College sports. It's much better to participate in life than watch anyway.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:58 AM

4,900 posts, read 3,005,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post

I didn't have to wait long to see games offered on Amazon prime, the mark of desperation.
But I suppose they'll always find enough younger people. ones that have never seen real football; aka 20 years ago.
Even college has become more akin to flag football, tossing players out for targeting; despite momentum causing hits.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I didn't have to wait long to see games offered on Amazon prime, the mark of desperation.
Or a mark of genius money making. <shrugs>

Again, this is an example of oldsters vs. youngsters. Oldsters think all NFL games must be played on network television...because they've always been on network television.

Youngsters ask, "What's network television? Is that Hulu or Netflix or Amazon Prime or Fubo or...?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies