Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 03:49 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times

Advertisements

Whenever I hear someone bring up people who died from COVID having underlying problems, I have to question whether these underlying problems would have caused their demise or if they could have lived many more years of quality of life and just dealt with those underlying problems.

An analogy might be someone getting hit by a train not being a big deal because they had high blood pressure and anxiety, so you know, they had underlying problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 03:51 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
A terrible story! Again, my condolences.

My wife would have been dead in March if I weren't a doc. And not simply from Covid. In fact her Covid test came back as positive 10 days after her premature discharge. A premature discharge because so many in the hospital were worried about Covid 19, yet as you we had few cases in our small town. I had to send her back by ambulance as her O2 sat was 70% on room air, and they did not send her home with oxygen!

And post-discharge follow ups and lab testing were almost impossible, because then she was Covid Positive and no one wanted her in any lab or clinic! As a doc I could manage her, but what about families with no medical people? I had to pay OOP for a special nurse to come to the house to draw her blood. Every week since early April! Of course I'm still fighting for her insurance to cover these costs!
Keep in mind that people "test positive" after discharge, because our tests are so sensitive, patients will test positive even with a very low viral load, or even just for having some dead virus cells still floating around in their bloodstream.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:52 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB108 View Post
and we have trampled and destroyed personal freedoms and our rights to save 80 year olds with diabetes and organ and kidney problems who have 1 leg in the grave already
So, the elderly have no right to live if they have organ failure? Usually diabetes starts a landslide of problems, blindness, amputations, kidney failure. So if someone were old, they should do what with them? Let them die?

Old 09-14-2020, 03:55 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
and another 80% of the deaths were people in their 70s and 80s and 90s

How are we in the middle of a pandemic when sick old people are dying? sick old people have been dying for 30 million years
Yep. I knew that when the stats first started coming out (because I know how to read studies/statistics and ignore the MSM). Just as I knew the median age is 96 in some regions and not much lower than that in ALL regions. I also knew that the mask bull**** was just that. Every medical study published up to February of this year said so. And science/physics doesn't suddenly change to suit the political climate, no matter how many new doctored "studies" come out.

So here we are. Sheep still going for it. Everyone scared ****less that they will get a virus that will likely be no worse than a cold, if even that, unless they are very old or very ill. I gave up on anyone showing a tiny morsel of common sense on this issue about five months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
So, the elderly have no right to live if they have organ failure? Usually diabetes starts a landslide of problems, blindness, amputations, kidney failure. So if someone were old, they should do what with them? Let them die?
Yeah they certainly do. THEY wear masks. THEY stay home. THEY social distance. You see, that is the way it has worked throughout human history untill about six months ago. The susceptible were told to steer clear of others. The sick were told to steer clear of others. And logically, the sick and susceptible would be told to wear masks. NOT the healthy and those with low risk of dying from the virus.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Whenever I hear someone bring up people who died from COVID having underlying problems, I have to question whether these underlying problems would have caused their demise or if they could have lived many more years of quality of life and just dealt with those underlying problems.

An analogy might be someone getting hit by a train not being a big deal because they had high blood pressure and anxiety, so you know, they had underlying problems.
You mean, were the people so sick, that they were going to die this year regardless? I'm sure that might be the case for some, but how would you measure something like that?

Along the same lines of thought, how many of those who died from COVID would also have died if they caught the seasonal flu instead? We will never really know.

The point is, as far as healthy people go, especially for the under 25 year old population, this virus was overblown and exaggerated.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:58 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
Quote:
Bull****

The national avg death rate is around 78-80

The avg covid death is the same as the avg death from anything else
I think the avg cover age of death is greater than that of the average death?

I know 2 people in their 70's that got it. Wife had a runny nose and husband was tired but still mowed the lawn.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:01 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The point is, as far as healthy people go, especially for the under 25 year old population, this virus was overblown and exaggerated.
Actually not 25. More like 65. If you are under 65 and healthy, you are at very low risk of dying from covid. You are more likely to die in a car crash.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:01 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
On average, there is 60 000 diseases. 50-70 000, depends who you prefer as reference.
Has everyone forgotten that, outside of COVID, there are 59 999 diseases that may get you? Not even mentioning cars, airplanes, falling objects, elements of nature etc, etc, etc.
What is it with people that, they somehow decided that, as soon as they protect themselves from COVID, they will live forever?

Old 09-14-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
No, we absolutely protect the sick and elderly. Why must you people conflate, the exaggerate everything into a cartoonish departure from reality?

We over reacted and quarantined the healthy, along with the sick, that's what we didn't need to do, and should not continue to do.

The young should have the option to return to normal life, albeit observing some hygiene and social interaction precautions. The same for those fifty and under who are healthy. Acting like our entire population is 85 years old with three comorbidity doesn't make sense.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:06 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

For the most part, the underlying conditions are things like end stage COPD, cancer, or just being 80+ years old.

If you merely have high blood pressure, and you are under 50, you have almost no chance of dying from COVID-19. It doesn't mean it's impossible obviously, but most normal people engage in far more dangerous behavior on a daily behavior than the risk COVID-19 would present.

Now if you are 70+, we are having a completely different conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies