Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 06:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
The average life expectancy in the US is 78....and you are suggesting that it is 88 for white women and 86 for white men. That's certainly "interesting".
No, I'm supporting my position with the fact that you are hyping up a common side effect of ALL respiratory infections in order to push for people to fear COVID-19 since that fear is subsiding as more people realize there's little to nothing to fear if you are under 50.
Your estimated life expectancy changes with age, sorry you don't like it but that's how it's calculated. If you are a 75 year old woman in 2016 your life you are expected to live 13 more years. I posted the link, why not go look at it rather than challenge me? Your "average life expectancy" takes into account infant deaths, car accidents, suicides for all ages. They add them all up and come up with an average - it has ZERO relevance in this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 07:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Your estimated life expectancy changes with age, sorry you don't like it but that's how it's calculated. If you are a 75 year old woman in 2016 your life you are expected to live 13 more years. I posted the link, why not go look at it rather than challenge me? Your "average life expectancy" takes into account infant deaths, car accidents, suicides for all ages. They add them all up and come up with an average - it has ZERO relevance in this discussion.
I'd give up if I were you.

Your real science is no match for Trumpian science.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'd give up if I were you.
Your real science is no match for Trumpian science.

You're probably right, I just had a woman on next door tell me there is no such thing as climate change because if anyone is paying attention they could see that the climate changes every day

Old 09-14-2020, 09:03 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB108 View Post
Bull****

The national avg death rate is around 78-80

The avg covid death is the same as the avg death from anything else
That figure is not a death rate, it is life expectancy at birth. As you get older, you have managed to avoid the conditions that caused people younger than you to die, and the number of remaining years you could expect to have changes. Here is the table for 2017:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

A 70 year old man could on average expect to live another 14.39 years: 84.39; a woman, 16.54 years: 86.54. An 80 year old man: 88.28, woman, 89.68. Make it to 90 and on average you have 4 to 5 years left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Didn't you read the statement by the CDC? They said 94%, on average, had three comorbidity, not just one, and not just high blood pressure. So at least make an analogy that is closer to the truth.

The point is, 9,000 people out of the 6,500,000 people who we know have tested positive, and there very well may be tens of thousands more who caught the virus that we never will know about. Do the math, that's a 0.0015% mortality rate, for healthy people, and those with just one other comorbidity.

So, we concentrate on keeping our sick and elderly safe, while the rest us healthy people are about as safe from this virus as we are from the common flu.
Where do you get the idea that only 9,000 people have tested positive?

Source for your numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Whenever I hear someone bring up people who died from COVID having underlying problems, I have to question whether these underlying problems would have caused their demise or if they could have lived many more years of quality of life and just dealt with those underlying problems.

An analogy might be someone getting hit by a train not being a big deal because they had high blood pressure and anxiety, so you know, they had underlying problems.
The number of years of quality life lost can actually be estimated. These numbers are from June, so the absolute figures will have changed, but it gives you an idea of the magnitude of the loss:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...tial-life-lost

"Even among older people, years of life — years of potential — are being lost. In Italy, researchers found that Covid-19 was killing people around 12 to 14 years before they might have died naturally. Even accounting for age and underlying conditions, the study found, people were dying more than five years sooner than life span estimates would suggest."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yep. I knew that when the stats first started coming out (because I know how to read studies/statistics and ignore the MSM). Just as I knew the median age is 96 in some regions and not much lower than that in ALL regions. I also knew that the mask bull**** was just that. Every medical study published up to February of this year said so. And science/physics doesn't suddenly change to suit the political climate, no matter how many new doctored "studies" come out.

So here we are. Sheep still going for it. Everyone scared ****less that they will get a virus that will likely be no worse than a cold, if even that, unless they are very old or very ill. I gave up on anyone showing a tiny morsel of common sense on this issue about five months ago.

Yeah they certainly do. THEY wear masks. THEY stay home. THEY social distance. You see, that is the way it has worked throughout human history untill about six months ago. The susceptible were told to steer clear of others. The sick were told to steer clear of others. And logically, the sick and susceptible would be told to wear masks. NOT the healthy and those with low risk of dying from the virus.
Please provide a source that supports your claims about "median age", because I do not believe you.

In 2017 the highest median age was in Monaco:53.1.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...%20top%20three.

If all of the high risk people stayed home, there would be no one left to run the country, because most of the lowest risk are children.

Quote:
You mean, were the people so sick, that they were going to die this year regardless? I'm sure that might be the case for some, but how would you measure something like that?

Along the same lines of thought, how many of those who died from COVID would also have died if they caught the seasonal flu instead? We will never really know.

The point is, as far as healthy people go, especially for the under 25 year old population, this virus was overblown and exaggerated.
See the discussion of potential years of life lost above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
On average, there is 60 000 diseases. 50-70 000, depends who you prefer as reference.
Has everyone forgotten that, outside of COVID, there are 59 999 diseases that may get you? Not even mentioning cars, airplanes, falling objects, elements of nature etc, etc, etc.
What is it with people that, they somehow decided that, as soon as they protect themselves from COVID, they will live forever?
I do not see anyone claiming that if he protects himself from COVID-19 he will live forever. What a peculiar notion. Everyone dies; most of us do not want to die prematurely from something preventable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It sure seems that way, doesn't it? Soon we will all be mandated to live within a sterile plastic bubble.

But the way I see it, if I'm going to die, I'm going to die. I don't see that covid would be any worse of a death than cancer, heart disease, or any other of the tens of thousands of diseases or accidents. All I can do is hope it will be peaceful and in my sleep... but, unlike a lot of people, I guess, I do know it WILL happen.
Some ways to die are harder than others, and COVID-19 is one of the harder ones.

Quote:
I stopped paying attention to Fauci a LONG time ago given that I'm pretty close to ground zero when it comes to this kind of thing. I've known for months now that this was very much overblown. It's essentially a twice as deadly flu. It's really dangerous if you are over 70, not so much for anyone else.

I've had it, it's not something I'd particularly want to get again, but if it means continuing my life and allowing millions of people to be allowed to work and make a living, I'd gladly spend another 2 days sick to make that happen.
If everyone was only sick for two days we would not be having this conversation.

It is more than twice as deadly as flu. In the worst flu season about 80,000 will die. COVID-19 is already at 195,000 with 3 1/2 months to go.

Quote:
This is fear mongering nonsense.

When you say "heart damage", you are talking about myocarditis....something that is a well known side effect of influenza as well....and something that is typically very temporary and there's almost never a need to even treat it.

This is the kind of nonsense propaganda that gets pushed on ignorant people who then spout off about it as if they actually know what they are talking about.

Odds are you have a LOT more to fear from a rushed vaccine than you would from the actual virus assuming you are under 50.
Not all myocarditis is the same. COVID-19 is causing not just inflammation but fibrosis that will likely be permanent. It is the difference between having a skin infection with some redness and swelling that goes completely away versus one that leaves a permanent scar.

Quote:
Yeah I know, you people cling to one small observation after another, and then blow them up into a climax of fear. Call us when they have a clinical study, not just some isolated observations.
Here are a few.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768916

https://imaging.onlinejacc.org/conte...mg.2020.05.004

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41569-020-0413-9#Sec5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Surely most of them were also in poor health.
Most is not the same as all, and not everyone dying was already on the boat crossing the Styx.

Quote:
Do they use someone getting the flu to deny coverage? No. So why would COVID-19 be any different? It has the same risk of long term side effects.

I really do understand this tactic, but it's just not going to work.
We do not yet know the extent of long term damage from COVID-19, so there is no way to be able to say that it is the same risk as with flu. With either COVID-19 or flu the issue would be whether there is evidence of long lasting damage to the heart.

Quote:
My background is the reason I know exactly what nonsense you are hyping up....and why I know it's really not a big deal. You suggesting that having COVID-19 is cause to deny health insurance due to the remote possibility of the same long term side effects that one would have from influenza is preposterous and clearly intended to scare ignorant people.

It would be similar to suggesting that insurance companies could deny coverage over catching the common cold due to the risk of developing Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
You brought up your background. It is only fair that you share where your special knowledge is coming from.

Your insistence that the risks of long term effects from COVID-19 are the same as for flu, when the long term effects of COVID-19 are still being defined, suggests that perhaps your understanding of the situation is flawed, no matter what your "background" is.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:14 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
You're probably right, I just had a woman on next door tell me there is no such thing as climate change because if anyone is paying attention they could see that the climate changes every day
Science may indicate climate change, but it whether or not you believe it is caused by humans or just the natural cycle of the earth seems to be the topic of debate. I feel it is a natural cycle of the earth and instead of trying to figure out how to stop the inevitable, I would focus on how to adapt. People buy electric cars for instance to "help the environment". This makes them feel good about themselves, but at the end of the day even though they are reducing emissions, they are causing other environmental issues that did not previously exist. It boils down to the fact that people have their horse blinders on and do what makes them feel good regardless of the other negative effects it may cause.

With Covid, I look at the same statistics as everyone else does but I interpret them to suggest that there is minimal risk while others on the other hand, feel they suggest there is a much greater threat. The science has already been done, its how you interpret the data that is where the debate comes into play. We may be saving the sick, the elderly and a few outlying cases that fall into an exception, but no ones takes into account that in protecting this small percentage of people that others are losing jobs, going hungry, committing suicide, addicts are relapsing, more cases of abuse are being reported, crime is increasing, etc. Again, "solving" one problem is creating another because the horse blinders are on.

People should be amenable to changing their views. I feel like people will find something that scares them and base their opinion on that specific set of facts, and no matter how many times those facts may change throughout the course, their views are still based on the original set of facts that are no longer valid. Turn off the news, stop reading social media; Look at the statistics, not for just Covid, but everything Covid has impacted and base your opinion off that. Look at the whole story and not just the part you want to see.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:23 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Someone in this argument is ignorant but it's not the person you addressed this to. If we quit covering pre-existing conditions (which is about 99% likely if Trump is re-elected) you can expect that any illness or disability resulting from a prior case of Covid-19 will not be covered.
Considering one of the prevalent pre-existing conditions is obesity, it should NOT be covered, as that is completely preventable. Another large contributing condition is diabetes, caused in large part by......wait for it............obesity.

I would love for an unintended consequence of covid to be an emphasis on keeping healthy, to prevent the perfect storm that makes this virus deadly.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:36 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
PLANDEMIC SCAMDEMIC DemPANIC total overreaction all in the quest for CONTROL.

The end.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:48 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
PLANDEMIC SCAMDEMIC DemPANIC total overreaction all in the quest for CONTROL.

The end.
Third leading cause of death in the US.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Third leading cause of death in the US.
Sure, Melinda.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:59 AM

When was there EVER a time in history when HEALTHY people were told to SHELTER IN PLACE and QUARANTINED?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Answer: NEVER!!!!

The Globalists are DESPERATE and went BIO! SICKENING, literally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies