Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 10:57 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
But then you have to assume those attending to these uninsured are committing fraud. Sure there are bound to be a few bad ducks, but do you believe that to be true on any regular basis?

Many asymptomatic people test for Covid 19 for all sorts of reasons. You are thinking that vast numbers of uninsured are now testing, so that if positive they now gain some HC access? If they are asymptomatic just how much free care do you think that they will get? Not to mention....

Primary care docs by and large DO NOT want you - the positive Covid 19 patient - in their offices!

It is not fraud per se. Its merely an incentive for bias. That bias may even be with motives that are moral in nature, not fraudulent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 10:58 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Yep, no deeper level thinking required to analyze cultural differences, overall health of the populace, and other factors that may play into it. I wish I could turn off my brain like you.
the first 3 left commenters, including the OP, follow this strategy.

we could go over all of it, but if someone waited 4 months to post the topic, I'm not sure we can simplify it enough.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:05 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
It is not fraud per se. Its merely an incentive for bias. That bias may even be with motives that are moral in nature, not fraudulent.
OK about the incentive. But how or why does a doc purposefully get more Covid 19 patients and then mo' money with the uninsured?

They don't want Covid 19 patients in their offices.
Docs don't all enjoy caring for the uninsured, to say the least.
The pay is still a relative pittance.

And all that would have to offset the risk of getting caught committing fraud.
Outliers are very easy to spot.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:07 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Research is pointing to kidney dysfunction as the worst of risk factors in patients with normal immune systems. Obesity is right up there too.
CKD rate for the US and South Korea are similar I believe.... not sure why to tell you the truth.

My point it is that there is a complicated set of factors here.... Most populations suffer from the same set of illnesses but not all of them address them in the same manner with the same effectiveness. How South Korea (or any other country) handles COVID-19 is no different. We can argue percentage points here and there for each of the factors but that doesn't explain the discrepancies between the countries (and others that handled it even better than South Korea.... )

Old 09-04-2020, 11:09 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
America has 88 times the death rate of South Korea why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They don't have an election coming up against a man they hate.
Don't you realize how stupid that sounds?

Do you really want people to believe that 190,000 Americans have lined up to die to make Trump look bad?

Old 09-04-2020, 11:11 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Haven't read thru the entire thread so I'm sure it's been mentioned already. But there seems to be an immense amount of pressure to mark ANY death that may closely resemble COVID as a COVID death. Elderly no longer die of pneumonia or other respiratory issues, it's all lumped into COVID deaths. Kinda reminds me of the "Mark it Zero" scene in the Big Lebowski where Walter banishes a gun when Smokey steps over the line bowling. WHO is holding the gun and doctors are being forced to "mark it COVID."

This doesn't happen abroad. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

Old 09-04-2020, 11:23 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
CKD rate for the US and South Korea are similar I believe.... not sure why to tell you the truth.

My point it is that there is a complicated set of factors here.... Most populations suffer from the same set of illnesses but not all of them address them in the same manner with the same effectiveness. How South Korea (or any other country) handles COVID-19 is no different. We can argue percentage points here and there for each of the factors but that doesn't explain the discrepancies between the countries (and others that handled it even better than South Korea.... )
IMO 2 major things SK compared to the USA.

Inherently better relative immunity. Either genetic, from previous viral exposures, or from previous national vaccination programs.

And then the relative lack of a serious political divide. So masking and distancing easier on a broad basis.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:26 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Haven't read thru the entire thread so I'm sure it's been mentioned already. But there seems to be an immense amount of pressure to mark ANY death that may closely resemble COVID as a COVID death. Elderly no longer die of pneumonia or other respiratory issues, it's all lumped into COVID deaths. Kinda reminds me of the "Mark it Zero" scene in the Big Lebowski where Walter banishes a gun when Smokey steps over the line bowling. WHO is holding the gun and doctors are being forced to "mark it COVID."

This doesn't happen abroad. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?
Yet America has had an extra 220,000 deaths this year over same time last year. Chances are Covid-19 deaths are being undercounted.

With stay-at-home orders in place and people not traveling, the number should have gone down.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:30 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
We're obese, have hypertension and diabetes.
True, it's also because they were ready for it. They have been dealing with bugs coming off China for years.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:31 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
IMO 2 major things SK compared to the USA.

Inherently better relative immunity. Either genetic, from previous viral exposures, or from previous national vaccination programs.

And then the relative lack of a serious political divide. So masking and distancing easier on a broad basis.
No disagreements from me.... as per my previous posts in this thread. 1st point is possible. Second point is apparent. Populous behavior around masking and distancing is also in part cultural factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies