Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 11:51 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
All that matters is he is charged as an adult.
I think a "child" that commits an "adult" crime should be charged as an "adult", and I don't care how old they are. Evil doesn't go away because one reaches a certain age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 12:53 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
How to get leftwing fanatic's to stop abusing children with the legal system : Tell them that minorities are disproportionally effected !!! That will make them flip like a pancake !!!

A bit of interesting history on charging a child as an adult

Children in Adult Prison - Equal Justice Initiative
https://eji.org/issues/children-in-prison/

The U.S. is the only country in the world where kids as young as 13 have been sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Before the Supreme Court banned the death penalty for juveniles in 2005, 366 people were executed for juvenile offenses.1 That ban allowed EJI to focus on some 3000 people who were sentenced to life imprisonment without parole for offenses committed when they were 17 or younger. Children as young as 13 were among those condemned to die in prison.

Thirteen states have no minimum age for trying children as adults: Alaska, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia. Some states allow children to be prosecuted as adults at 10, 12, or 13 years old. Children as young as eight have been prosecuted as adults.

The law protects children younger than 14 because their brains are still developing—they have less judgment, maturity, and knowledge than adults, and kids under 14 are even less responsible and more vulnerable than older teens. But when a young child is accused of a crime, these legal protections vanish, allowing kids under 14 to be prosecuted in adult court and sentenced to adult prison, even for life.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:31 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
The brain continues development until the early 20s. Our culture generally does a poor job of preparing kids for adult responsibilities. Many are not allowed to swim then thrown into the deep end at 18. Some degree of adulthood could start around 16 with more community support and guidance.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:32 PM

628 posts, read 209,359 times
The threshold is whether he is legally allowed to commit himself to a contract or not.

That's age 18 or older.

17 is legally a child.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:41 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Infant: 0-2
Child: 3-12
Teenager: 13-17
Adult: 18-54
Senior Citizen: 55+
I think I would classify senior citizen as 65+. Or, 60+ at the youngest.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:00 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post
The threshold is whether he is legally allowed to commit himself to a contract or not.

That's age 18 or older.

17 is legally a child.

No, that's not the threshold. Minors can legally enter into contracts.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:03 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,186 times
He killed 2 men. He should have been at home as he can't legally buy that assault weapon. The curfew was on.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:09 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Trayvon Martin didn't viciously attack that murdering Zimmerman.

Yes, a 17 year old is a child, no matter how short, tall or fat.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:11 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
They both seemed like children to me.
Both tragic.
I watched the videos of Rittenhouse, he is a mere child and had no business being there. I know he brought the trouble on himself but he should have had adults who were watching out for him. I hope parents and the "adults in the room" will stop such foolishness if they see this kind of situation. A child with an automatic rifle at a protest - just crazy.
Every mother of a black teenager had a serious conversation with their child after the TM death. Black teens need to be much more aware of dangerous situations which could cause their harm.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:26 PM

834 posts, read 744,242 times
A 17 year old is a teen and a minor. A child is under 13 imo. A 17 year old is an older teen, and most likely finished with or close to finished with puberty.

My grandfather, great-grandfather, uncle, and great uncle all joined various branches of the military with parental permission at 17. My great grandfather was actually younger, but lied about his age to escape his life in an orphanage.

My grandfather was a marine in WWII, enlisting at 17.

At 17, I graduated high school. I worked full-time, did college full-time (mostly online), had my own car that I paid for, paid all of my own bills, etc. My dad kicked me out right after high school graduation. I was not a child. I was an older teen, at the tail end of the final stages of maturity and 7 years past the start of puberty.

And as someone else mentioned, at 17 there are some contracts you can legally enter in. My income was included for my apartment, my car insurance, etc. My car was registered under an uncle however until 18.

Today's group would have us all believing that we're children until 25 based on their misconstrued opinion on research they probably didn't bother to read. Age at menarche, life experiences, etc. etc. Totally devoid of behavioral observation.

The infantilizing of Americans is sad and destructive. No, they're not children. They're 17. Capable of being held accountable for their decisions. Capable of driving, of working, of raising a child, and surviving on their own as they have *been for centuries and since the dawn of human time (capable of being self sufficient adults at that age, that is)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies