Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you attend a church that allows political speeches?
Sure, church and state mix so well. 3 5.66%
Hell and heaven no! 50 94.34%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 10:32 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A Christian politician who was speaking about Biblical principals and priorities that Christians are concerned about, sure.

A politician that is just giving their stump speech, or that is basically just engaging in secular political self promotion, no.

Also, it is perfectly fine for a church pastor to endorse political principles and priorities based on Biblical standards. But I like the boundary that I have observed that pastors do not directly endorse ANY specific candidates.

However, the distribution of voter's guides that compare candidates positions on specific issues is fine.

what about a priest saying a prayer that talks about praying for November and "hopefully our President after that" (paraphrasing, not a direct quote).

I was flabbergasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 10:35 AM

628 posts, read 209,359 times
No.

An organization cannot maintain tax-exempt (non profit) if the organization itself endorses any political candidate or the leadership campaigns for or even argues in favor of any political candidate during organization meetings of any kind.

Any church advocating for any political party at all should have their tax-exempt non-profit status revoked.

In fact, churches as a whole should not be tax exempt, the lot of them.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:36 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The 'law & order president is hypocrisy personified with his encouragement to NC voters to commit felony voter fraud.
He did that to get a rise out the left and you idiots bought it hook, line, and sinker. And that's not what he meant, but you wouldn't understand it anyway.

As for Creepy Uncle Joe going to a church, as much as I despise Biden and everything he stands for, having him there as a guest is different than him or a pastor giving political speeches during a service.

And for the liberals that don't know any better, this has nothing to do with separation of church & state. That is about state/government sponsored religion, NOT this sort of thing, but nobody seems to get that.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:40 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
I didn't vote in the poll since I don't go to church. I don't believe in organized religion at all so no church.

Having said that, however, in many small towns, churches are one of the largest buildings they have for large gatherings. They are used for all kinds of things - speeches, thrift shops, AA meetings, Christmas craft fairs, fund raisers, etc.

I believe Biden was in a small town when he was speaking so using the church doesn't surprise me. I don't have a problem with it because I've lived in small towns and have seen things done in churches all the time. In my town, the church actually hosts the farmers market outside. You use the facility you have available.
Biden was in Kenosha, a city of 100K people.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:41 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Define "political speech?" When I attend church service, if the message is good old fashioned family values and reinforces this with the current political scene, then I'm ok with it.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:41 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Just watching clips of Biden spewing lies at a Lutheran Church and thinking “If they allowed this in my church (Catholic), I’d walk out and never return.” We never have political speakers in my church. Even the priests never speak about politics.
"Just watching clips of Biden spewing lies at a Lutheran Church", and trump is chastised by the left media.

Bet not a word from them in complaint about biden doing so.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:42 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
When it comes to Democrats, lying is their religion, and hypocrisy is their way of life.
"When it comes to Democrats", most don't even go to church anymore.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:45 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
We don't attend church but someone we know reported her pastor to the IRS for endorsing a candidate during the Sunday sermon. She said it's illegal for a tax exempt organization and many in the congregation were not happy with it because they don't go to church to listen to political opinions. I think I'd feel the same way if we attended church, so no, I would not attend a "political" church.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:53 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WOW! I didn't know Trump and the faithful were Democrats!

The 'law & order :rolleyes' president is hypocrisy personified with his encouragement to NC voters to commit felony voter fraud.

If the mail-in vote has not been counted, then the voter has a right to vote in person, no?

You don't lose your right to vote just because your mail carrier/union official loses/destroys/alters your ballot.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:58 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
He did that to get a rise out the left and you idiots bought it hook, line, and sinker. And that's not what he meant, but you wouldn't understand it anyway.

As for Creepy Uncle Joe going to a church, as much as I despise Biden and everything he stands for, having him there as a guest is different than him or a pastor giving political speeches during a service.

And for the liberals that don't know any better, this has nothing to do with separation of church & state. That is about state/government sponsored religion, NOT this sort of thing, but nobody seems to get that.
The left gets it selectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies