Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 10:56 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica93 View Post
America*

And probably because the "haters/whiners" would rather not see ignorance, a denial of history, and something like a rise in actual hate groups win out.

I know this is something that you don't hear often (or possibly ever), but you can still love something and point out its many flaws to try to fix them.
No country is perfect and have a lot of flaws!

Americans have no fkn clue how great they have it. I’ve lived and have been to a lot of countries and America is the best country, bar none.

Name a place that’s better than the USA, then by a ticket and go there. Damn Karen’s! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 11:03 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
The fact that anyone denies this truth is an indictment on treasonous and despicable failures of parents and teachers

Old 09-03-2020, 11:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Why do people say this about the U.S?

Why give that greatest title to any country? I can acknowledge that the U.S has been one of the most developed and productive countries ever. But America's issues with discrimination of various kinds taints that "Greatest Ever" thing.
Greatest doesnt mean perfect. It doesnt even necessarily mean good, as measured against some ideal standard. It just means comparatively greater than every other one.

Given the history of nations on this planet, one could even regard a nation as overall bad and still the greatest, when compared to all of the others.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
That's silly.

Just another rehash of the "America, love it or leave it" BS spread during the Vietnam era by those too lazy and/or stupid to act when there are obviously things that could be improved.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:01 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
I love my country... I think it is one of the best... greatest? nah... not by far.. and totally depends by context. The danger of this mindset is that we fail to acknowledge and ignore the issues within rather than address them.

Someone once told me that if the US were a person, that person would be a narcissist.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:10 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Because if a person doesn’t believe this of their country, they should move.
It was a slow night yesterday.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:21 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:

Why give that greatest title to any country? I can acknowledge that the U.S has been one of the most developed and productive countries ever. But America's issues with discrimination of various kinds taints that "Greatest Ever" thing.
The US is a fantastic country in many respects including it's diverse geography and varying climates, and as a result it is a fascinating country.

However I wouldn't necessarily say certain US cities, especially at the moment could be described as great.

As for the people is one countries people greater than another.

Americans I ave met have been friendly and generous people, but I wouldn't say they were somehow superior to other non-Americans.

In terms of discrimination I don't feel modern America has levels of discrimination that were evident in the past, however the police do need some reform and there is possibly a lack of a poverty safety net and universal healthcare, which is more evident in other western countries.

Although America is still a fantastic and fascinating country despite the current problems in some cities.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:24 AM

7,354 posts, read 3,525,357 times
Ask someone from Pakistan if America is the greatest country. People come here for a reason.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:27 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Ask someone from Pakistan if America is the greatest country. People come here for a reason.
Not sure that Pakistan is a big fan of the US, as it's been the subject of US drone strikes and has a largely muslim population.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:28 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:

You can believe your country has great things about it without thinking it's the greatest in the history of the world.
America really is the "greatest" country on Earth, but what does greatest even mean?

"People often tell me I could be a great man. I'd rather be a good man." - John F. Kennedy Jr.

Well, what is a great man? And who was the greatest man in history? Alexander Hamilton said it was Julius Caesar, and he was probably right. Great means "accomplished". Great men are men who did something great. Everyone knows their name, and their name goes down in history. That is what it means to be great.

America is the greatest country in history. It has accomplished more than any other country and everyone knows its name. It rules the world. It is the greatest empire in history, far exceeding the Roman Empire.

Now, is America the best country? Is America even a good country? Well, as compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If it wasn't for America in the 1940's there wouldn't be a world worth living in !!! Learn some history !!!
I know the history and I disagree. Although we probably differ on what makes life worth living. I think the world would be better if Christopher Columbus found nothing and died of starvation in the middle of the Pacific. The existence of America completely changed the world, and was one of the catalysts for both WWI and WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Once I see rickety old rafts leaving her for Cuba, I'll take your trollish thread srsly.
People who have no country can only hope to go where they can make the most money. People who have a country never leave.

Go to Walmart, are the people there your countrymen? Is this your country? What is a country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If I were a black person living in the 1940s, there is no other country I would want to be living in, including (and especially) any black African country.
While I understand the sentiment. Keep in mind there is a huge difference between being a indigenous tribesman and a landless peasant. Reminds me of that joke about the Indian chief...

"You have observed the white man for 90 years. You’ve seen his wars and his technological advances. You’ve seen his progress, and the damage he’s done. Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

Chief replies... "When white man find land, Indians running it. No taxes, No debt, Plenty buffalo, Plenty beaver, Clean Water; Women did all the work at camp, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; All night making love to wife. Only white man dumb enough to think he can improve system like that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica93 View Post
Actually, I think a good chunk - possibly even a majority - of Americans recognize that the U.S. isn't "the greatest country on Earth" because they're educated enough to know how stupid that sounds.
By whose criteria? People use words all the time but are clueless to what they mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
America is so great even the haters/whiners won’t leave!
Did George Washington and Thomas Jefferson think Britain was so great that they refused to leave? The love it or leave it people are obnoxious and stupid. People don't leave, they overthrow the government and take it for themselves. Then you'll be the whiner, and where will you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Once admired by all, the US has become a country worthy of nothing but ridicule and disgust.

If sanity prevails, President Biden may be given a chance to reverse America's sad decline.
When was America admired by all? Under Barack Obama? Under George W. Bush? Under Bill Clinton?

Joe Biden can't even reverse his own mental decline let alone America's. I hope you're just trolling but I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Americans have no fkn clue how great they have it. I’ve lived and have been to a lot of countries and America is the best country, bar none.
Most people prefer the country of their birth. There are good things about America, and there are many many bad things. America has money, and America is run by capitalists who only care about the color green. That is the only thing good about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The fact that anyone denies this truth is an indictment on treasonous and despicable failures of parents and teachers
What are you even talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies