Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
These snowflakes exist and are very prevalent. Think about it... being offended by someone speaking Spanish. What a joke. Makes you wonder what went wrong in their upbringing to be so fragile.
And you just experienced one of them react accordingly. QED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In a private setting no one is arguing about that but when it's not that's a whole different story. Snowflakes? I'd rather be that than anti-American POS that has no respect for our language and wants to balkinize our country by everyone babbling away in public in a foreign language when they know English.
The funny thing is that in this scenario, being a snowflake and anti-American POS is one in the same. As you describe, you're a shining example.

English, Spanish, Chinese, French, Vietnamese are just some of the popular languages of the US. It's no surprise we hear these when we travel the nation. This is a nation of it's people, after-all. Not a nation of it's overpowering government.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:27 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The funny thing is that in this scenario, being a snowflake and anti-American POS is one in the same. As you describe, you're a shining example.

English, Spanish, Chinese, French, Vietnamese are just some of the popular languages of the US. It's no surprise we hear these when we travel the nation. This is a nation of it's people, after-all. Not a nation of it's overpowering government.
The funny thing is that these anti-American POS don't even realize that they are being so unAmerican. Fortunately they are the few and we don't have an official language at the federal level.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:52 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that these anti-American POS don't even realize that they are being so unAmerican. Fortunately they are the few and we don't have an official language at the federal level.
It's not being anti-American to expect immigrants to assimilate linguistically into our society. Are you joking? Why is it fortunate that we don't have an official language at the federal level? How is it harmful to anyone? As I said in another post more than half of our states have made English their official language and it hasn't harmed anyone. Seems like you have an agenda.

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-07-2020 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM

957 posts, read 538,113 times
Quote:
No, but what has that do with the subject at hand?
I was just curious... because it gives me a little better insight into why you are posting the things you are. "Until youve walked in another's shoes....' and all that

Old 09-07-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It's not being anti-American to expect immigrants to assimilate linguistically into our society. Are you joking? Why is fortunate that we don't have an official language at the federal level? How is it harmful to anyone? As I said in another post more than half of our states have made English their official language and it hasn't harmed anyone. Seems like you have an agenda.
Yes, I have an agenda. My agenda is against your liberal government to tell people what languages to speak. Your liberal pro-big government views are a shame on America and it's founding. We are a nation where smaller government not controlling how we live is the basis of who we are and how we became so great. It's unAmerican to have a centralized government having such control.

Generally speaking, immigrants to assimilate linguistically to our society. As a society of multiple languages, you see that all over the place.

Also, it's not just immigrants that speak multiple languages, it's Americans as well. There's plenty of American-owned small businesses that use Spanish or Chinese as their primary language because that's what language they want to use to do their business. No one should control this. It's called freedom.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
But you are being the anti-American POS who is not letting people speak one of our common languages. You should look in the mirror. You just don't see how unAmerican you are being. Probably because you grew up in another country where it was different.

Public or private, anyone and everyone has the freedom to speak what they want. If you don't like it, go back to where your from. Don't come here and change our country into your third world views.

We've always allowed multiple languages since our founding. The Constitution was translated into multiple languages, as was pamphlets for the revolutionary war. Our very founding fathers spoke multiple languages. Educated Americans speak multiple languages. This is a America.
Where did I say that no one could speak another language in our country? What I said is that there is a time and place for everything. "One" of our common languages? Our common language is English! I'm from the U.S. as I was born here so what third world views are you speaking of? Third world views are from those who want to balkinize our country. Why don't you instead tell those who are from somewhere else to go back to where they came from if they don't want to assimilate into our society linguistically? Again, I didn't say they no other languages should be allowed. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

I know plenty of educated Americans who aren't bi-lingual. They have found with the careers they chose that it wasn't necessary and in fact a waste of time for them. If you don't use it, you lose it! Our founding fathers spoke their own languages they weren't multi-lingual a individuals for the most part so what are you talking about? The fact is that they chose English as our national de facto language. Don't like it tough! Maybe you should move to another country that speaks a different language that you like more than English.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:06 PM

957 posts, read 538,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Debate: English as US official language - Debatepedia
The above link shares both sides. Interesting read.
Breaks down the social impact.
Thank you!! That is very interesting!!

Old 09-07-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Where did I say that no one could speak another language in our country? What I said is that there is a time and place for everything. "One" of our common languages? Our common language is English!
This is probably where your challenge stems. Have have an entirely wrong premise that we only have one common language when we have multiple. I suggest you get out more and see the country. America is a beautiful country.
Quote:
I'm from the U.S. as I was born here so what third world views are you speaking of? Third world views are from those who want to balkinize our country. Why don't you instead tell those who are from somewhere else to go back to where they came from if they don't want to assimilate into our society linguistically? Again, I didn't say they no other languages should be allowed. Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
So we agree that we don't need to be like these other countries that force a single language. Since we are a nation of multiple common languages, we can let the people be empowered to live their lives as they see fit instead of having big government involvement.

People who come here naturally assimilate into our society linguistically by speaking one of our many common languages (depending on where they settle). It's not like we have people walking around speaking Swahili all over the place. Our languages like Spanish, English, Chinese, etc. are being adopted as the languages people speak here.
Quote:
I know plenty of educated Americans who aren't bi-lingual. They have found with the careers they chose that it wasn't necessary and in fact a waste of time for them. If you don't use it, you lose it! Our founding fathers spoke their own languages they weren't multi-lingual a individuals for the most part so what are you talking about? The fact is that they chose English as our national de facto language. Don't like it tough! Maybe you should move to another country that speaks a different language that you like more than English.
You can't be educated if you haven't gone to a decent school and received a decent education. In America, our good schools teach you at least 1 (and in many cases 2 or 3 -- with one being Latin) at a very young age. The choice of languages very with poorer schools being limited to a few languages (often Spanish, French, Italian, Russian) and some of the better schools having many more languages.

You never completely lose something -- even if you don't use it. Especially with foundational things like math and language. You may not be as sharp in it as you once were, but it doesn't completely disappear.

I don't see any reason to move to another country, I already live in one with many languages. I'm not the one looking for something else. You are. And you can find it out there overseas. Best of luck.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have an agenda. My agenda is against your liberal government to tell people what languages to speak. Your liberal pro-big government views are a shame on America and it's founding. We are a nation where smaller government not controlling how we live is the basis of who we are and how we became so great. It's unAmerican to have a centralized government having such control.

Generally speaking, immigrants to assimilate linguistically to our society. As a society of multiple languages, you see that all over the place.

Also, it's not just immigrants that speak multiple languages, it's Americans as well. There's plenty of American-owned small businesses that use Spanish or Chinese as their primary language because that's what language they want to use to do their business. No one should control this. It's called freedom.
Huh? Liberals are those who want to balkinize our society. We who don't are conservatives, not liberals. Language usage has nothing to do with a small or big government. Again, with your stupid remarks about "controlling". No one is trying to control anything just because we want immigrants to assimilate into our society. If they don't want to then why do they why come here? I disagree that the immigrants of today are assimilating into our society linguistically because it means more than just learning English but speaking it to.

If Americans want to learn a foreign language then so be it but that's not what we are discussing here. How do you sell your product to mono-lingual English speaking Americans (whom are the majority in this country) by conducting your business in Spanish or Chinese? Do they only want to sell to them? Again, it's not about control or freedom. It's about assimilation and respect for our nation's language.

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-07-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies