Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 04:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are you under the impression that making English the official language would mean people wouldn't be able to speak whatever language they'd like?
We would not be taxed to support people speaking jibberish. "English" is the language of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 04:54 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Seems like people are trying to make the US anything but White or English speaking.
How so? No one's forcing anyone to be non-brown or non-English. They are just trying to keep America what it was. A nation founded by immigrants for immigrants. No one cares what language anyone speaks except for the people forcing other to speak their preferred language (whether that's English or another language).

Liberals want to change America and restrict freedom. You see it in this thread.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Therefore, English should be our official language. Most who do speak Spanish as their primary language can also speak English so what's the problem?
The problem with your liberal agenda to restrict freedom is just that, a restriction on freedom. People should be able to speak whatever language they want. The government works for the people, not the other way around --- as much as you liberals would like it to.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:25 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
And where are the links proving YOUR assertions? The above is completely MERELY your opinion
Oh, just let that poster wallow in his stubborn monolingualism and ethnocentrism.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:43 PM

957 posts, read 537,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, just let that poster wallow in his stubborn monolingualism and ethnocentrism.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:42 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
Sure you could if you so chose... however, since Yorkshire is the same country as ... liverpool... and Margate... it would be a bit pedantic.

America on the other hand is a completely separate country

As for 'plonker pulling' - perhaps YOU have never heard anyone say that (just as you had never heard of a Scotsman speaking Gaelic)...so it would suggest you are a wee bit cruaidh-èisteachd
I've never heard it because it's obviously a bit of a ****-take, My dad's side of the family are Scots, I have many Scottish cousins whom I've visited numerous times, Britain is a small place, I know MANY Scots but none of them speak Gaelic, not surprising though when only something like 1% of Scots can speak it, I was just remarking that if you speak Gaelic because your Scots friend taught you then you were lucky to have found a Scot that knows how to speak it in the first place, just saying.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:50 AM

957 posts, read 537,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I've never heard it because it's obviously a bit of a ****-take, My dad's side of the family are Scots, I have many Scottish cousins whom I've visited numerous times, Britain is a small place, I know MANY Scots but none of them speak Gaelic, not surprising though when only something like 1% of Scots can speak it, I was just remarking that if you speak Gaelic because your Scots friend taught you then you were lucky to have found a Scot that knows how to speak it in the first place, just saying.
ok
So I was curious about your statement that only 1% speak Gaelic... and went searching (only because when I was with my SO in Scotland all his Uncles and Aunties spoke it with each other (mind you they are in their 80s/90s) - but his grandson is also studying it in primary school...

This is one of the things I found on the web... https://www.quora.com/Do-Scottish-pe...icial-language

My SOs sister is a Head Mistress in Glasgow - and it seems the highest percentage of Gaelic speakers are there - as well as way up in the Highlands (Inverness) where they are from.

Funnily enough - one of the other things I found was the Scottish council statement that there are 3 main languages in Scotland... English, Scots* and Gaelic Scots being the idiomatic Scottish/English 'slang' - but labelled as a language nonetheless (a bit like Hawaiian pidgin ... which is Hawaiian/English 'slang' and .. again, is labelled as a language).

Here is an interesting article as well: https://www.scotland.org/about-scotl...lture/language
"GAELIC
Shaped by our rich history and vibrant culture, the ancient Celtic language of Gaelic is still spoken throughout Scotland. Gaelic has been part of the Scottish consciousness for centuries and is considered to be the founding language of the country. The origins of Gaelic can be traced back as far as the 10th Century and is believed to have been brought to Scotland from Ireland."

Just sayin

Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
We should encourage more students to learn languages other than English, so that they can more readily communicate with others who speak a first language other than English. This should be an educational priority if we are to be recognized as an educated country and maintain our proud heritage as that melting pot.
Why should American citizens learn the language of an immigrant underclass whose children will grow up speaking English anyway?

Old 09-16-2020, 12:13 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The problem with your liberal agenda to restrict freedom is just that, a restriction on freedom. People should be able to speak whatever language they want. The government works for the people, not the other way around --- as much as you liberals would like it to.
This is true but if you want to speak another language in school and you cannot understand the criteria then tough luck.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why should American citizens learn the language of an immigrant underclass whose children will grow up speaking English anyway?
Good question! The pro-illegals claim that Spanish is lost by "immigrants" by the second generation so as you asked, why should we learn Spanish then? Since when are natives expected to learn the languages of immigrants anyway? It's supposed to be the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies