Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 06:04 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No they are not. My family is from a Spanish state, and that narrative is a dishonest lie invented by Latino historical revisionist. There were no Spanish people in any of the original thirteen colonies. Everybody was white or black and spoke English.

There were a tiny number of Spanish descendants in the territories that were former Spanish colonies, but they went extinct long ago. Today's "hispanic" group are virtually all of recent immigrant origin from the 70s. Even Mexican-Americans have only been here since the 20th century.

American history and culture has nothing to do with "hispanic/latino"
Thank you for setting the facts straight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Likewise, Spanish is a part of our heritage and should be made official.
No it isn't! Read post # 62. Americans long ago decided to make English our national de facto language and our Constitution, etc. are all in English. English is by far the most widely spoken language in this country. There are only about 50 million Latinos/Hispanics in this country (including those here illegally) out of a population nearing 340 million now.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Americans, the people of colonial descent, are very homogenous. We are either white or black English-speaking people from day one. We are American culture.

All of these other people are new. Most Spanish speakers weren't even here before the 70s, American history and culture has nothing to do with them.
My people came here late. I'm second generation on one side of the family and third on the other side. Even my grandparents, with their lifelong accents and traditions, considered themselves Americans once they became citizens.

I couldn't care less what language people speak, but I do think English should be the official language.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
English IS the national language of the United States. The only language. There is no reason to try to legally enforce that.

If we do, "hispanics" will try to scam some way to make Spanish co-official with a fake historical argument, which would serve to keep it alive artificially.

Don't worry, nobody is going to speak Spanish. Millennial "hispanics" overwhelmingly do NOT speak the Spanish language. If you just ignore Spanish, it will go away naturally.
What do you mean by enforcing it? Making English our official language would not deny anyone the right to also speak another language. No, as long as we keep having millions crashing our border illegally from Spanish speaking countries Spanish will not go away. There is no comparison to that and the past.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I vote for Iroquois. It was spoken here for centuries before the White Men arrived to kill the natives and steal the land.
Oh stop with this BS! There were several Indian tribes here and that was before the U.S. was established as a country. The U.S. had every right to establish was language they wanted to be the national one. No land was stolen as it wasn't owned and everyone had a right to migrate here long, long ago. The natives killed the Europeans also so they weren't the innocents in all of this either. Your so-called natives weren't native to this country/continent either. They migrated here from somewhere else just as the Europeans did. They didn't just sprout up out of the ground like corn you know.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:24 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
No they are not. My family is from a Spanish state, and that narrative is a dishonest lie invented by Latino historical revisionist. There were no Spanish people in any of the original thirteen colonies. Everybody was white or black and spoke English.

There were a tiny number of Spanish descendants in the territories that were former Spanish colonies, but they went extinct long ago. Today's "hispanic" group are virtually all of recent immigrant origin from the 70s. Even Mexican-Americans have only been here since the 20th century.

American history and culture has nothing to do with "hispanic/latino"
I'm a WASP of immigrant parents from the UK. There were people in the 13 colonies with my last name. I've seen tombstones in Plymouth, MA dating back to the late 17th century where people who share my last name are buried. I know about our influence in America.

Maybe most Hispanics now in the US are fairly recent emigrés, but, yes, the Spanish WERE among the first here. Spanish exploration of the Americas? Pensacola, FL and St.Augustine, FL, the two oldest cities in the US, are former Spanish ports

There is huge Spanish influence in the US, just as there is huge French influence in Canada.

By the way, please don't deconstruct European immigrants as "white."

Old 09-04-2020, 07:34 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
If none of your ancestors were here before the 20th century, American history and culture has nothing to do with you.
Again, you don't get to define who is an American, despite your narrow minded protestations.

Kindly go choke on your ethnocentrism and nativism.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:41 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree. It would save us billions in having to print all kinds of federal documents in foreign languages. English is a part of our heritage and culture and should be made official.
I don’t think making it official would stop that practice but I agree that English should be declared as the official language.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:49 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Maybe most Hispanics now in the US are fairly recent emigrés, but, yes, the Spanish WERE among the first here. Spanish exploration of the Americas? Pensacola, FL and St.Augustine, FL, the two oldest cities in the US, are former Spanish ports
Those were former Spanish colonies that were not part of the United States at the time the nation was being formed. They had nothing to do with shaping America.

And Spanish Floridians don't exist anymore. They went extinct. All Spanish speaking people in Florida today are of recent Latin American immigrant origin, they are not of colonial Spanish descent in the state.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:57 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Who the heck founded modern American state?
Who mapped out all the initial laws, rules, Constitution and so on?

The Brits?

Then English it is - plain and simple.

Whether one can learn English ( or any foreign language for this matter) in 5 or 25 years is irrelevant.

People are coming to US from all over the world - they all have to have one common language to communicate with each other.

English serves this purpose just fine, so no need to invent the bicycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies