Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 07:37 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Your reality -- or everyone else's? LOL

That's the problem -- everyday Americans, like the President -- who have no scientific, medical knowledge or experience with pandemics have these feelings about what we should or should not be doing...and they find the one outlier who says --- oh definitely should do this or not do this -- that may agree with them...ignoring the GLOBAL team of experts that are pretty consistent in their guidelines, recommendations, analysis, information, statistical analysis on the virus.

So yeah -- who's reality you want to buy in is the real question.
What do you mean

They said it themselves. A mask doesn’t prevent you from getting a virus. It only protects others from you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 07:38 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I like that every visit to a store has turned into a virtual trip to the DMV.
I can't speak for the states, but where I live, masks are required in all public places. They check your temp at the door, you use hand sanitizer and you sign in. That is in case they have an outbreak, they can contact you to get checked. No big deal. 10 seconds of your life. Then again there are no cities that measure the death count in the 10's of thousands. In fact the entire country has had less than 60 deaths and less than 4000 total cases.

Here you pay a $500 fine if you are caught without a mask in public. One of the few rules I see enforced consistently.

Americans can be stubborn and stupid about the wrong things. We were really stupid about airport security and 9/11 we paid for it. Even after 9/11 there were plenty of Americans crying about airport security.

Every first word country has responded to the threat of the Covid in varying degrees. The entire Country of Australia has had but a fraction of the Covid cases as NYC alone.

Japan a densely populated country 1473 deaths, 77,000 total case. NYC? 23,767 deaths!!!! 244,000 total cases.
What's different? Do basic analytical troubleshooting. The US citizens refused to do even common sense prevention. I don't blame it all on Trump, in fact I blame it mostly on Governors and mayors. Is it the the Job of the POTUS to prepare people in Florida for a hurricane? No it isn't. This pandemic has been predicted for decades. States had ample time to prepare, cities like NYC had time to prepare. The CDC had time to prepare.

In short the USA choked and the people were glad to do it, rather than exercise a little common sense and take preventative measures.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I can't speak for the states, but where I live, masks are required in all public places. They check your temp at the door, you use hand sanitizer and you sign in. That is in case they have an outbreak, they can contact you to get checked. No big deal. 10 seconds of your life. Then again there are no cities that measure the death count in the 10's of thousands. In fact the entire country has had less than 60 deaths and less than 4000 total cases.

Here you pay a $500 fine if you are caught without a mask in public. One of the few rules I see enforced consistently.

Americans can be stubborn and stupid about the wrong things. We were really stupid about airport security and 9/11 we paid for it. Even after 9/11 there were plenty of Americans crying about airport security.

Every first word country has responded to the threat of the Covid in varying degrees. The entire Country of Australia has had but a fraction of the Covid cases as NYC alone.

Japan a densely populated country 1473 deaths, 77,000 total case. NYC? 23,767 deaths!!!! 244,000 total cases.
What's different? Do basic analytical troubleshooting. The US citizens refused to do even common sense prevention. I don't blame it all on Trump, in fact I blame it mostly on Governors and mayors. Is it the the Job of the POTUS to prepare people in Florida for a hurricane? No it isn't. This pandemic has been predicted for decades. States had ample time to prepare, cities like NYC had time to prepare. The CDC had time to prepare.

In short the USA choked and the people were glad to do it, rather than exercise a little common sense and take preventative measures.

Except it’s fairly obvious a country like Japan is not generously designating deaths as Covid deaths and is not demanding we test everyone all the time

And Japan is not an international travel hub like the US

Australia is not the Us. And Australia has lockdown policies you can /seriously call “Draconian”. Is that necessarily a good thing?

The US is simply not similar to other countries. People need to understand that and if they do by like it they can go to a place they feel is better

So are you saying mask wearing should become a mandated, permanent, normal? Should people now always be fined for not wearing in in public? Same with the other COVID restrictions?

Old 09-17-2020, 07:45 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
More social distancing, the less aholes you have to run into and deal with. Fine by me

Old 09-17-2020, 07:48 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,572 times
Not allowed to socialize in person with anyone who doesn't live with you? It's unsustainable. If people took it literally, no one would be allowed to date or get married. They would stay single forever and humanity would die off.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Except it’s fairly obvious a country like Japan is not generously designating deaths as Covid deaths and is not demanding we test everyone all the time

And Japan is not an international travel hub like the US

The US is simply not similar to other countries. People need to understand that and if they do by like it they can go to a place they feel is better
Japan certainly does see its fair share of travel. Every time I flew into Thailand it was through Japan, S Korea, Hongkong or Taiwan. It isn't the center of the western world but it damned sure gets a lot of travelers through it.

Just admit it. The USA, especially New York choked. New york's choke impacted her neighbors. Now what is the excuse for other cities that have choked but aren't really big international hubs?

The big difference is that the state and local governments refused to act in a timely manner. Where I live, by Mid March the nation was locked down tight. No travel between cities or Provences. Masks are still required anywhere in public. Every public place is required to check temperatures, provide hand sanitizer, and people must sign in.

I agree with the generously designating deaths as Covid Deaths. There was a video they played here of the Gov of Illinois and his secretary of Heath. She actually said it. Even if you are in hospice care dying of cancer, if you should contract Covid, your death will be ruled Covid.

They had a joke here on the News. If your family needs money and you have life insurance, go to the USA and walk in front of a bus. It will be ruled a Covid death and the insurance will pay out.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Not allowed to socialize in person with anyone who doesn't live with you? It's unsustainable. If people took it literally, no one would be allowed to date or get married. They would stay single forever and humanity would die off.

Aha!

Old 09-17-2020, 07:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
So covering your mouth when you sneeze and cough is a symbol of compliance? Nothing to do with being considerate to others around you.

I surmise once the transmission rate is below a certain threshold (whether through herd immunity, vaccination, or whatever), than not wearing a mask will be considered by many an acceptable risk... and things will slowly return to normal. It isn't about symbol or political affiliation but rather about risk assessment and consideration for others.

The only people who are compliant are those that bought into the political rhetoric that wearing a mask symbolizes anything more.

Whoosh!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-17-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
What do you mean

They said it themselves. A mask doesn’t prevent you from getting a virus. It only protects others from you
Yeah and so? That's why everyone should wear their masks. WE dont know who has it or doesn't have it. Most people carrying it likely don't know until they are coughing up a lung.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yeah and so? That's why everyone should wear their masks. WE dont know who has it or doesn't have it. Most people carrying it likely don't know until they are coughing up a lung.
and therefore that gives the governors permission to make mask wearing a permanent, mandated normal by law. And probably keep all COVID restrictions. Saying something like "If we can prevent just one death then we have to keep doing it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies