Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2020, 02:24 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
You said nothing about my post about the docile Indian grandfather who was permanently paralyzed by cops just for walking around in a white neighborhood. I think in that case, they did beat him up just because they thought he was black and no other reason. Indians only make up around 1 percent of the U.S. population but commit only about 0.01 percent of violent crimes: when was the last time you heard of about an Indian thug?
He wasnt black, so you won't get the recognition.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 09-06-2020 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 02:30 PM

826 posts, read 244,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
You said nothing about my post about the docile Indian grandfather who was permanently paralyzed by cops just for walking around in a white neighborhood. I think in that case, they did beat him up just because they thought he was black and no other reason. Indians only make up around 1 percent of the U.S. population but commit only about 0.01 percent of violent crimes: when was the last time you heard of about an Indian thug?
Sorry. I never saw that one on the news. I had to search for him and watched the video. I don't know what was said between the officer and Sureshbhai Patel, but it sure looked like a nasty and aggressive move by the police officer. Shameful.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
That's not what I got from the OP.

I got completely innocent, walking down the street and minding their own business kind of innocent instead of doing something that contributed to the police using deadly force.

Resisting arrest etc

Maybe you should read the OP again?

Eric Garner for instance, was selling untaxed cigarettes and then resisted when cops tried to place him under arrest.

To me......the bigger issue in that scenario is that he should have never been arrested in the first place because selling loose untaxed cigarettes shouldn't be a crime..

But......I worry more about big government overreach than I do about "systemic racism".
If you're in support of government overreach, and I agree with you on that, then I'm not sure how you can support this thread. Police abuse and overreach is a real problem. The OP is suggesting that those who have been killed by cops were either criminals or didn't comply - and therefore, they brought it on themselves because they weren't 'completely innocent'.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:10 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you're in support of government overreach, and I agree with you on that, then I'm not sure how you can support this thread. Police abuse and overreach is a real problem. The OP is suggesting that those who have been killed by cops were either criminals or didn't comply - and therefore, they brought it on themselves because they weren't 'completely innocent'.

I worry more about the stupid laws that the police are charged with enforcing than I do about how they're enforced.

Cops want to go home safe to their families like everyone else. They shouldn't have be crucified when they have to make split second decisions.

There are limits of course, George Floyd is a good example, but even Floyd could have.saved his own life if he wasn't high on Fentanyl and resisting arrest at first encounter.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:12 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,032,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
Sorry. I never saw that one on the news. I had to search for him and watched the video. I don't know what was said between the officer and Sureshbhai Patel, but it sure looked like a nasty and aggressive move by the police officer. Shameful.

It was covered briefly but didn't get nearly as much coverage as an African American man would even though the precise reason he was beaten is that he was mistaken for one. I do fault it to the Indian community for being too passive. The business that suffered the most damage in Kenosha was a car dealership owned by an Indian family who had everything invested in it and now it's gone. They aren't making waves either except to have gofundme posted to the Indian community. https://www.americanbazaaronline.com...t-down-442237/

Old 09-06-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I have asked you and will ask you again to please post the names of black men who were not criminals, were not doing anything wrong and did not fight the police, but were killed just because the racist cop wanted to kill a black man. We need to highlight these cases.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:27 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
You can do a list of white innocent men shot and killed by police, but that list would be twice as long.

Double the amounts of whites are shot and killed by police. Fact!

Before you say it, yes whites make up a larger population of racial makeup in this country therefore it would add up that more of them are shot. What is also true is that although blacks only make up 13% of population in this country, they are responsible for over 50% of all violent crimes including shootings, killings, robbery, etc. This is also a fact!

So this notion that police are out to get blacks is a complete myth. Don’t commit crimes and you wont get arrested. Don’t resist arrest and you wont get injured, shot, killed. Don’t pull out a weapon while disobeying direct orders from an officer and you wont get shot and/or killed. Don’t reach into your vehicle while being told to stop by an officer and you wont get shot/killed.

It’s not that’s difficult to understand folks.
It seemingly is for some....groups.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I worry more about the stupid laws that the police are charged with enforcing than I do about how they're enforced.

Cops want to go home safe to their families like everyone else.
They shouldn't have be crucified when they have to make split second decisions.

There are limits of course, George Floyd is a good example, but even Floyd could have.saved his own life if he wasn't high on Fentanyl and resisting arrest at first encounter.
I'm with you and I wouldn't be a cop for a million dollars. But there's still a problem in this country that needs to be addressed and the b.s. that cops have to put up with doesn't negate that.

Last minute decisions could be improved with better equipment and training. Code of silence and protection of bad cops and unjustified shootings could be improved with reform. Better hires would exist to weed out cops who are bullies or were bullied, or those who are veterans who may have issues. And third party judges instead of internal departments doing investigating would reduce or eliminate coverups.

All of these things would not only help every citizen, they'd help the cops who truly want to do a good job.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I'm with you and I wouldn't be a cop for a million dollars. But there's still a problem in this country that needs to be addressed and the b.s. that cops have to put up with doesn't negate that.

Last minute decisions could be improved with better equipment and training. Code of silence and protection of bad cops and unjustified shootings could be improved with reform. Better hires would exist to weed out cops who are bullies or were bullied, or those who are veterans who may have issues. And third party judges instead of internal departments doing investigating would reduce or eliminate coverups.

All of these things would not only help every citizen, they'd help the cops who truly want to do a good job.
I agree with this part, but hard to do when police departments are defunded. Seems like they need more funding.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:16 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,499,530 times
Did Marvin Booker deserve to die? Marvin Booker was a Denver street preacher. He was mentally ill. He was told to sit and wait in the waiting room. They took his shoes so he would not leave. It is not clear if he even understood what was going on. When he walked up to the front counter to ask about his shoes, he was literally beaten to death by five officers. Its on tape and very disturbing to see. He was carried out like a piece of meat, one officer for each limb. The City of Denver paid the family damages of $4.5M; the Denver Sheriff's location is around the corner from Denver Health, one of the largest hospitals in the region with a mental health ward. Instead of getting him care, they killed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies