Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 09:15 AM

8,724 posts, read 4,993,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I remember in high school, in the early 90s, it was common for some kids to bring pocket knives to school, I never saw any problems arise due to them having knives though, not a single time!
Times are so different now. It seem so many kid`s have guns now. There is so much violence. There is no need for any kind, of weapon, to be brought to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 09:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,757,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I went to elementary school in the 70s. We regularly brought pocket knives to school as well as cap guns. By high school many guys drove their truck to school with a gun rack that had their shotgun and rifle inside. Now some teachers wet their pants at the sight of a toy or even a drawing of a gun. Heck some teachers have come down on students for a finger gun or a pop tart eaten into the shape of a gun and even a girl’s “bubble blowing gun”.
How many students were shot to death in schools during the 70s? Asking for a friend.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:47 AM

24,332 posts, read 17,072,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
“More common sense?”

They threatened him with possible charges.
He’s very lucky he didn’t end up like Tamar Rice.

“The Elliotts said their son was traumatized by deputies telling the 12-year-old his behavior could’ve led to criminal charges and might in the future if he were to do something similar again.“

https://kdvr.com/news/problem-solver...virtual-class/

Yes The Police had common sense in not shooting the kid. They recognized it was a toy gun but they also recognized that a toy gun could get the kid into trouble if he were to go waving it around in public.

Of course the kid is traumatized by having the cops come to his house to talk to him and now he will probably view cops as the enemy thanks to the school that gets no blame for their role in this.

The more I think about this stupidity the more I think the teacher and the school profiled this kid. They saw a young black guy with a gun and panicked. It didn't matter if they knew it was a toy or not, it triggered the teacher enough to call the cops on him.

Is the teacher a racist, is still up for debate but she is certainly a Karen.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:50 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Well nobody shot up the school back when you to had to walk to school up hill both ways carrying a sack of potatoes.
Yeah, I can attest that I've never heard of anyone shooting up a school with a drawing of a gun or with a pocket knife either.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:57 AM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How many students were shot to death in schools during the 70s? Asking for a friend.
A list, while not comprehensive, is still accurate. Pay close attention to the chart starting in 1992.

https://www.k12academics.com/school-...-united-states

Old 09-07-2020, 11:00 AM

16,876 posts, read 10,541,315 times
People need to start exercising their 7th Amendment against these schools.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 09-07-2020, 11:13 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,385,924 times
So...what law was broken?

Is there a school regulation about this? Is that regulation up to a legal standard?

Old 09-07-2020, 11:58 AM

8,093 posts, read 3,420,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Given the school shootings, I do appreciate the need to be vigilant but, these kids (there were actually two separate similar incidents in CO) were at home and this raises all sorts of privacy issues.
If virtual school is going to be a thing moving forward, it has to be made clear exactly where the line gets drawn.
Do parents give up all rights to privacy when they sign up for online school?
And if so, WTH?
There was another thread on here about another kid this happened to.

This is a backdoor way to see who has guns. Years ago they were asking kids if there was guns in the home and having doctors' offices ask patients about guns in the home. Now they can use this too.

Parents need to scrap the virtual school and just homeschool their kids if they want any privacy.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM

18,673 posts, read 7,542,298 times
The offending "gun":

Naw, I can't see how the teacher could possibly tell it was a toy. Sure looks lethal to me!

Who knows WHAT horrible thing could have happened to that kid, or the people around him, if the teacher hadn't called the police!

Oh, yeah, it was a virtual class, on Zoom. There were no other people around him, or anywhere in the room.

Still, the teacher called the cops, based on the fear that the child was in danger.

Did she ever explain what danger he was in?

Hmm... maybe the wrong person was being taught. Sounds to me like the teacher needed teaching.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:33 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,294,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The offending "gun":

Naw, I can't see how the teacher could possibly tell it was a toy. Sure looks lethal to me!

Who knows WHAT horrible thing could have happened to that kid, or the people around him, if the teacher hadn't called the police!

Oh, yeah, it was a virtual class, on Zoom. There were no other people around him, or anywhere in the room.

Still, the teacher called the cops, based on the fear that the child was in danger.

Did she ever explain what danger he was in?

Hmm... maybe the wrong person was being taught. Sounds to me like the teacher needed teaching.
Apparently, he was enrolled in that 'teacher's' class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies