Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:30 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times

Advertisements

For those who won’t click on the article, one of the organizers said:

“We really just want you to come and hang out and feel safe,” Walters said. “You don’t have to worry about the Karens of the world and anything like that. You just come in and have fun. We’ll have a sportsman area, like a Black sportsman area with fishing, hunting, shooting range, ATV trails. We really just want to build a tight-knit community for our people to just come and breathe.”

Oh right, because white women are somehow interfering with all the black outdoorsmen out there.

The other organizer wrote in an op ed:

“Amass land, develop affordable housing for yourself, build your own food systems, build manufacturing and supply chains, build your own home school communities, build your own banks and credit unions, build your own cities, build your own police departments, tax yourselves and vote in a mayor and a city council you can trust,” Scott wrote. “Build it from scratch. Then go get all the money the United States of America has available for government entities and get them bonds. This is how we build our new Black Wall Streets. We can do this. We can have Wakanda! We just have to build it for ourselves!””

So yes, she is discussing using taxpayer money for separatist communities and services.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
So how is this idea different from, say, the Jewish Community Center, or the Asian American Community Center we have here in my town?

Why do we greatly approve when Asians support one another, and succeed? Why do we hold them up as an example of how to build your community and become self-sustaining members of our country, but get all upset when Black people see that model and realize it works, and try to emulate it?

Old 09-08-2020, 07:49 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,094 times
Why should I have a problem with this? As long as they aren’t imposing their will on outside communities, then this is really a nothing burger. As long as they don’t attack me or others for choosing to live in a racially diverse and integrated community, then it’s really a non issue to me.

This isn’t the first time something like this has been thought of or tried. I wish them luck and if there is hate in their hearts, I hope they see the errors in that.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
I have zero issue with them establishing this community of like-minded people. I take issue with them acting as though this is some novel idea to make their lives amazing by separating from the mean white people. This existed before during segregation. Black people lived and worked and were educated in one area and white people lived and worked and were educated in another area. Granted, the execution was not great as the black areas were lower income and reflected that, the idea is not novel. And these women want to create a vacation utopia where they can go and escape the evil white man where the white man will be disallowed while also benefiting from the society that everyone has created, no matter their race.

ClaraC this is different than those community centers because the Civil Rights Act of 1866 allows for all citizens of the united states of america to be given the right to sign and sue contracts and buy, lease, own land without regard for their color or race. It was the first civil rights legislation and it prevented people from being denied land on the basis on their skin color ONLY. It was made to protect former slaves from being disallowed to own land simply because they were black. And it supersedes all other civil rights protections. And the united states constitution requires equal application of the law which means that Black people are also not allowed to discriminate against white persons in regards to race/color in housing.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:03 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So how is this idea different from, say, the Jewish Community Center, or the Asian American Community Center we have here in my town?

Why do we greatly approve when Asians support one another, and succeed? Why do we hold them up as an example of how to build your community and become self-sustaining members of our country, but get all upset when Black people see that model and realize it works, and try to emulate it?
Im not upset by it but the difference I see is that Asian, Jewish or other community centers specifically for a particular group within a community are established to serve those folks and support their already existing community while without blame they still are contently living, interacting and loving those of other races and cultures, where this is being done with the underlying tone of racism because supposedly blacks are being discriminated against and are fearful living among whites and traumatized by the slavery their ancestors endured. They aren't trying to help their existing communities, their focus seems to be only to separate from white people.

If that is what they want I say have at it but personally I dont think any group isolating themselves is all that productive especially when hatred and/or "fear" is the underlying reason.
I'm all for supporting and raising up your tribe whether it be race, culture, sex, religion but not so much to the exclusion of all others.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Can you imagine if a couple of white folks had tried to create the white version of this...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...al-oppression/
The Party of Slavery, the KKK, Jim Crow and ongoing SEGREGATION.
The division creates a war, that ONLY government can solve......
The perpetual motion machine.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:12 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Seems like lingering hate. It wasn’t that long ago that racists would purposely burn down black towns that were successful or homes of successful Black people. There isn’t the same history with the other two groups. Guess people still have remnants of the old mindset. It bothers those kinds to see black people creating their own communities.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:13 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,204 times
That's fine until it comes time for one of the participants to sell.

Then they gotta open up the sale to anyone of any race.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:33 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
For those who won’t click on the article, one of the organizers said:

“We really just want you to come and hang out and feel safe,” Walters said. “You don’t have to worry about the Karens of the world and anything like that. You just come in and have fun. We’ll have a sportsman area, like a Black sportsman area with fishing, hunting, shooting range, ATV trails. We really just want to build a tight-knit community for our people to just come and breathe.”

Oh right, because white women are somehow interfering with all the black outdoorsmen out there.

The other organizer wrote in an op ed:

“Amass land, develop affordable housing for yourself, build your own food systems, build manufacturing and supply chains, build your own home school communities, build your own banks and credit unions, build your own cities, build your own police departments, tax yourselves and vote in a mayor and a city council you can trust,” Scott wrote. “Build it from scratch. Then go get all the money the United States of America has available for government entities and get them bonds. This is how we build our new Black Wall Streets. We can do this. We can have Wakanda! We just have to build it for ourselves!””

So yes, she is discussing using taxpayer money for separatist communities and services.
They'd have to get around some federal and state laws that ban funding to entities that discriminate based on race. Other than that, good luck to them. At the very least, it'd be interesting to see if they allow anyone who's black to buy the homes.

Maybe they can find a way to classify the participants as a type of organization exempt from anti-discrimination laws.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:36 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Seems like lingering hate. It wasn’t that long ago that racists would purposely burn down black towns that were successful or homes of successful Black people. There isn’t the same history with the other two groups. Guess people still have remnants of the old mindset. It bothers those kinds to see black people creating their own communities.
What now?
Are you saying the US doesn't have a history of anti Semitism or didnt set up internment camps for Asian Americans, the Chinese exclusion act. Are you ignoring the racism and attacks against Jewish and Asian individuals and businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies