Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 12:52 PM

78,364 posts, read 60,556,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Thank you for that link to the NYT. I read it careful and only found a single 'leader' Stacey Walker, a county supervisor from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, (not so much a leader) wanting defunding/abolishing.

Everyone else says funds should go towards social services, education and mental health. Which I agree is a good thing. Maybe these functions will be under police management so it may not be defunding but more shifting.
Times are changing - more mental health issues, more social issues - and some govt agency (police?) need to address it. My opinion, is that most police officers are not sensitive to mental health, development or physical disabilities and I'm not sure if they have the personalities that will allow them to be so.

Can you tell me why so many feel that the police are doing a good job and status quo should prevail???

I really do appreciate you finding me that article and helping me understand why so many here feel SO differently than me.
You represent the best of city data. thank you.
Some want a shifted budgetary emphasis ie) take 1 billion from NYPD and put towards other things.

But there are others that just want to dismantle the police departments, Ilhan Omar is in that boat and defends her position and says that after they dismantle it then they can discuss what to do going forward but has no answers for what happens in the meantime in those cities without cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 12:54 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
In an interview with MSNBC, Sharpton talks about how we need police, especially in communities of color who are seeing more gun violence this summer. He says this 'defund the police' nonsense is something a latte liberal in the Hamptons favors....and that people in urban areas are less safe with fewer police.

This is the beginning of the establishment slowly distancing themselves from the anti-police rhetoric of BLM, and then eventually BLM itself. The alliance with BLM was always a political ploy, and now BLM and its radical agenda is becoming a liability.

Everyone knows police are essential to keeping people safe, and that addressing their wrongdoing shouldn't involve defunding police.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/al-sha...-latte-liberal

He has always said that. I watch him most mornings on Morning Joe.
Biden has always said the same thing. There was always only a fringe group of people who said that....and from what I understand even they didn't mean that they wanted to get rid of the Police. They want reform.
No one running for President wants this. Congress would never vote to defund the police.
The Police are pretty much essential to a safe and sane society.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:54 PM

25,440 posts, read 9,798,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Some want a shifted budgetary emphasis ie) take 1 billion from NYPD and put towards other things.

But there are others that just want to dismantle the police departments, Ilhan Omar is in that boat and defends her position and says that after they dismantle it then they can discuss what to do going forward but has no answers for what happens in the meantime in those cities without cops.
Wanting it dismantled or saying they do, and actually dismantling it are two different things.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:56 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,820 times
Quote:
So, it's a myth that doesn't exist? Then why are we hearing from US congressional members about dismantling entire city police forces?
I think it actually might be a myth.
I'm trying to find actual links to anyone who thinks we should not have police.
Many feel there needs to be reform - or re-imagined, or dissolved and then restructured - but I can't find any legitimate sources that say get rid of.
And who says no prisons - that's a new one.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:59 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Did Sharpton ever say that police aren’t needed, they don’t keep people safe, or that they never help people? Did Sharpton ever say that police should be endangered?

This is your imagination at work here. Nothing more. You smugly ASSUMED that Sharpton was anti police because you have your own notions of what and who Sharpton is. Perhaps your notions of Sharpton are warped, not Sharpton himself.

He’s black, so you assumed he hates all cops. It’s as simple as that. Well, SURPRISE!!!!
True, he didn't say those things. By the 'narrative' I mean the general tone of 'police are bad.' That HAS been the prevailing sentiment for the miserable summer of 2020. Otherwise why are all these police departments being defunded? Why do I now have to go to these Cuomo-mandated task force meetings to save my local police from getting defunded...

I don't believe black people hate cops! I think progressives of all races don't like police...and opportunists like Sharpton will jump on that bandwagon if it suits him. Then jump off when it doesn't.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 387,093 times
Quote:

The narrative shifts

Trump and Co likes to make up narratives. Doesn't mean his political opponents are required to live by the strawman narratives he sets.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
Trump and Co likes to make up narratives. Doesn't mean his political opponents are required to live by the strawman narratives he sets.
I believe this is the case with this issue.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:

So she thinks we should live without police for a while? really?
Do you have a link?
I agree that is confusing to say the least.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:06 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I think it actually might be a myth.
I'm trying to find actual links to anyone who thinks we should not have police.
Many feel there needs to be reform - or re-imagined, or dissolved and then restructured - but I can't find any legitimate sources that say get rid of.
And who says no prisons - that's a new one.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

"Yes, We Literally Mean Abolish the Police"

Old 09-08-2020, 01:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
True, he didn't say those things. By the 'narrative' I mean the general tone of 'police are bad.' That HAS been the prevailing sentiment for the miserable summer of 2020. Otherwise why are all these police departments being defunded? Why do I now have to go to these Cuomo-mandated task force meetings to save my local police from getting defunded...

I don't believe black people hate cops! I think progressives of all races don't like police...and opportunists like Sharpton will jump on that bandwagon if it suits him. Then jump off when it doesn't.
Did Sharpton ever jump on that narrative, because I’ve seen no evidence of him doing so.

Again, you sure that you’re not just making these assumptions based on your dislike of Sharpton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies