Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 01:43 PM

826 posts, read 244,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I've been following Minneapolis carefully. That article is not accurate. Well its from the NY post (nuff said). As I'm sure you know that effort was defeated and the original plan by the city counsel was to maintain a police force anyway.
You just admitted the effort was then defeated, which means there was an effort to do it, so there you go. Many more than one. You can't just call no fairzees because you don't like the source. It happened, but your preferred sources didn't want you to know it.

How many more would you like me to list? I have all night. Or you can take some time out of your day and do some research. It's amazing what some of these people want. I used to be a Democrat. Something happened to the party along the way where a couple of whack job kook balls originally wanted in, but now there are enough that they have pushed me out of that party. They have gone full bat**** crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 01:44 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,837 times
Quote:
It has been done in my state. It does work. I've seen the results.
No, its not easy but now is a good time to reform the worst of them. There is momentum.

https://cops.usdoj.gov/RIC/Publicati...s-p366-pub.pdf
That's an interesting link, thank you. They replaced the Camden department with a county wide police force though----so the end result was still a police force. I agree with many of the things they did. Building public trust by having police on the ground in neighborhoods, involving community stakeholders....Public trust is key.

Have neighborhood cops who know every shop keeper. Have police go into every school and explain what they do, and get to know kids and be role models. And I can't understand why BLM doesn't suggest recruiting more black people for the police force as a way to counter the problems. I've seen BLM protesters yelling at black police officers. As it stands now, many cities have half of the force people of color, and also the chiefs and mayors.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:47 PM

826 posts, read 244,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
That's an interesting link, thank you. They replaced the Camden department with a county wide police force though----so the end result was still a police force. I agree with many of the things they did. Building public trust by having police on the ground in neighborhoods, involving community stakeholders....Public trust is key.

Have neighborhood cops who know every shop keeper. Police going into every school and explaining what they do, and getting to know kids. Being role models. And I can't understand why BLM doesn't suggest recruiting more black people for the police force as a way to counter the problems. I've seen BLM protesters yelling at black police officers. As it stands now, many cities have half of the force people of color, and also the chiefs and mayors.
Because BLM has nothing to do with saving black lives. BLM is only about eliminating police, eliminating holding black lives accountable for their own decisions and about electing Democrats to ensure what they want becomes law.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:50 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
You just admitted the effort was then defeated, which means there was an effort to do it, so there you go. Many more than one. You can't just call no fairzees because you don't like the source. It happened, but your preferred sources didn't want you to know it.

How many more would you like me to list? I have all night. Or you can take some time out of your day and do some research. It's amazing what some of these people want. I used to be a Democrat. Something happened to the party along the way where a couple of whack job kook balls originally wanted in, but now there are enough that they have pushed me out of that party. They have gone full bat**** crazy.
Yes, but the original plan was not to get rid of the department while the changes were being made. I assumed you read the details. My bad.

I have some time.
Yes, please list more. I have done a ton of research and that's why I'm asking. When I start pulling the covers off of the inflammatory articles and remarks I find there is no there there.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:51 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
In an interview with MSNBC, Sharpton talks about how we need police, especially in communities of color who are seeing more gun violence this summer. He says this 'defund the police' nonsense is something a latte liberal in the Hamptons favors....and that people in urban areas are less safe with fewer police.

This is the beginning of the establishment slowly distancing themselves from the anti-police rhetoric of BLM, and then eventually BLM itself. The alliance with BLM was always a political ploy, and now BLM and its radical agenda is becoming a liability.

Everyone knows police are essential to keeping people safe, and that addressing their wrongdoing shouldn't involve defunding police.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/al-sha...-latte-liberal
I haven't listened to the false race card players like Sharpton before so why start now? Because he happens to get something right? There are plenty of people with a better track record than that bigot. The left doesn't seem to mind his bigotry either.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:54 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

"Yes, We Literally Mean Abolish the Police"
Who is "We"? Have you ever heard of this person before? Anyone can write an opinion piece, as we have seen (embarrassingly), and newspapers publish them to create controversy and discussion and to sell advertising and newspapers. And you choose to amplify some pinhead's opinion as an example of public support for abolition of the police? No one with any credibility or responsibility actually stated that they wanted to fully eliminate the police.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I haven't listened to the false race card players like Sharpton before so why start now? Because he happens to get something right? There are plenty of people with a better track record than that bigot. The left doesn't seem to mind his bigotry either.
That's one guy who has remade his brand. And his body.
Like it or not, he is a player.

I wouldn't ignore him or write him off.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:56 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,837 times
Quote:
I've been following Minneapolis carefully. That article is not accurate. Well its from the NY post (nuff said). As I'm sure you know that effort was defeated and the original plan by the city counsel was to maintain a police force anyway.
Maybe the panicked residents and armed vigilantes had something to do with it?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-minn...ce-11595698725

Quote:
“It got to the point where crime had no consequences,” said Tania Rivera, 30, who runs a child-care center with her mother. “It was being done deliberately out in the open. Drive-through drug dealing, drive-through prostitution, everything from gunshots to assaults to sex out in the public. Everything you didn’t want your neighborhood to look like.”

So after a number of community meetings, neighbors began constructing a barrier to close off two blocks of their street, first with trash cans, then debris. For a while, a boat on a trailer protected one intersection. Eventually, a nearby iron maker constructed a permanent gate. Police gave their approval as long as emergency responders could get through if requested by the neighborhood.

Neighborhood men also began an armed patrol, kicking out anyone who didn’t belong on the block after dark."

Old 09-08-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Who is "We"? Have you ever heard of this person before? Anyone can write an opinion piece, as we have seen (embarrassingly), and newspapers publish them to create controversy and discussion and to sell advertising and newspapers. And you choose to amplify some pinhead's opinion as an example of public support for abolition of the police? No one with any credibility or responsibility actually stated that they wanted to fully eliminate the police.
I was glad for the link. Who knew?
The comments say it all. And those are from NYT subscribers.
The readership didn't buy it.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe the panicked residents and armed vigilantes had something to do with it?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-minn...ce-11595698725
If you can believe it I don't have a WSJ subscription so couldn't get past the paywall.
Does it quote anyone of substance who believes in truly abolishing the police - like in really abolishing the police. Like in no police at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies