Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you believe about the Breonna Taylor shooting?
Completely justified. 26 46.43%
Somewhat questionable. 9 16.07%
Highly questionable. 11 19.64%
Completely unjustified. 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 10:21 AM

26,655 posts, read 13,635,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I’ve thought from the beginning that the police targeted her.
The ex-boyfriend was already in custody so there was absolutely no reason to even go to her home.
The warrant was issued based on months-old information that hadn’t been updated.
Why?
Why so afraid of this woman who had started to turn her life around?

Why was Ms Taylor considered such a threat that they had to burst into her home in the middle of the night?
And conveniently “forget” to wear their body cams?

They knew where she worked and her usual work hours.
Why couldn’t they just sit outside and arrest her when she left for work?

They targeted her.
They targeted her for arrest due to her involvement in the drug dealing ring. Evidence supports the notion that she was pretty involved in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 10:27 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,205,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I have a couple of strong Second Ammendment friends who are the opposite of woke that were up in arms over this case. Basically if you break into a house, they feel you have a right to defend yourself. The cops did not ID themselves before entering.

To be honest I'm shocked more conservatives don't make this particular case a cause.
^This. I’m a strong supporter of the second amendment and this situation troubles me. No knock raids where the police don’t identify themselves shouldn’t be permitted. It is good that Rand Paul passed legislation to address this, I hope more get on board with this. If someone breaks down my door without announcing that they are the police, you can bet I would react in the same manner. It was also in the middle of the night which heightens the situation and reaction. That action was completely uncalled for.

My mom was visited by local police at 1am to serve her a summons for a code violation on her house. The only reason she knew they were there was because her dogs were barking like crazy. My mom also doesn’t have a criminal history. They said they chose that time because they knew she would be home. Ridiculous!

Old 09-10-2020, 10:37 AM

13,517 posts, read 4,828,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
what are the police supposed to do? call a time out and figure out which person in the house just shot them?
First rule of ANY use of a firearm, whether hunting, target practice or police work:

Know what your target is and whether there are any unintended targets nearby.

Let's say there is a crowd of people on the street and someone within that crowd shoots at police. Should the police respond by opening fire into the crowd? How did they know there were not little children in the room with Breonna?

Old 09-10-2020, 12:35 PM

26,655 posts, read 13,635,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
^This. I’m a strong supporter of the second amendment and this situation troubles me. No knock raids where the police don’t identify themselves shouldn’t be permitted. It is good that Rand Paul passed legislation to address this, I hope more get on board with this. If someone breaks down my door without announcing that they are the police, you can bet I would react in the same manner. It was also in the middle of the night which heightens the situation and reaction. That action was completely uncalled for.

My mom was visited by local police at 1am to serve her a summons for a code violation on her house. The only reason she knew they were there was because her dogs were barking like crazy. My mom also doesn’t have a criminal history. They said they chose that time because they knew she would be home. Ridiculous!
I agree. While I do think the police had reason to go to Brenna’s house, I’m very much alarmed at the way they went about it. Walker, her boyfriend had every reason to shoot because he thought someone was breaking in and Breonna would be alive if police didn’t go to her house at 1am and refuse to identify themselves. It’s a big mess with a tragic outcome.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:54 PM

46,841 posts, read 25,785,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Somebody needed a bit of overtime for that month's alimony payment.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:59 PM

18,880 posts, read 6,893,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How many media outlets mention that when cops broke into Breonna Taylor's apartment, her boyfriend started SHOOTING AT THEM from the completely dark apartment, injuring one?

I haven't heard ONE "news" outlet mention that. Especially when they are showing some protest outraged that Taylor got shot. Her boyfriend in the apartment opened fire on the police, and the police fired back, just as they are always trained to do, continuing to fire until the threat against them was stopped.

Were the cops supposed to NOT return fire, even as somebody was shooting at them?

This important fact puts a whole different light on what happened. Breonna's tragic death was not a murder, it was an accident. The cops were doing what they HAD to do.

But it suits the agenda of somebody, to keep pretending it was just a bunch of trigger-happy cops randomly opening fire on a black girl. So we keep getting distorted reporting pretending she was murdered, while never mentioning that somebody in the apartment opened fire on the cops first, thus forcing the cops (yes, forcing) to shoot back into the apartment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Breonna_Taylor
To be fair, if someone comes busting in unannounced, and I'm fearing for my life I will likely start shooting, as well. But then, I've always had a mindset to avoid the homes of known drug dealers, and certainly wouldn't spend the night in one.

Having said that, the idea of a no-knock warrant really needs to be addressed. It's a secondary issue, and it does not mean the cop who shot her was guilty of murder, but only that the process needs to be changed. He was doing his job, which we all agree should not have been to enter a home without announcing themselves.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:02 PM

46,841 posts, read 25,785,504 times
Quote:
what are the police supposed to do? call a time out and figure out which person in the house just shot them?
Did they fail to have escape routes covered? Did they have any indication that some 3rd party was about to become a victim of a violent crime inside the house?

Because if not, it would be a pretty smart move to fall back, reorganize, establish communication with the perpetrator and see if the situation could be resolved without anyone dying. The US fetish for militarization in police tactics is a horrible idea and part of the reason that US citizens die at the hands of their own police at a rate that's 10-50 times higher than in other nations.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:45 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,697,047 times
Yes the drug dealer boyfriend did start shooting first. His partner in crime, Briana Taylor, got shot and killed in the subsequent exchange of gunfire.

I'm with Rand Paul on this one: No knock warrants shouldn't happen. At the very least, they should be incredibly rare. You'd better be able to explain to me in why it make sense and it better be good. If you want to go with plain-clothes cops, fine. But do it right. Surround the place. Maybe shut off the water, gas and electricity moments before knocking so they can't flush/destroy the evidence. Then knock on the f-ing door, announce that it's the police and that you're breaking down the door in 5 seconds. That kind of thing.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:59 PM

9,285 posts, read 11,033,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How many media outlets mention that when cops broke into Breonna Taylor's apartment, her boyfriend started SHOOTING AT THEM from the completely dark apartment, injuring one?

I haven't heard ONE "news" outlet mention that. Especially when they are showing some protest outraged that Taylor got shot. Her boyfriend in the apartment opened fire on the police, and the police fired back, just as they are always trained to do, continuing to fire until the threat against them was stopped.

Were the cops supposed to NOT return fire, even as somebody was shooting at them?

This important fact puts a whole different light on what happened. Breonna's tragic death was not a murder, it was an accident. The cops were doing what they HAD to do.

But it suits the agenda of somebody, to keep pretending it was just a bunch of trigger-happy cops randomly opening fire on a black girl. So we keep getting distorted reporting pretending she was murdered, while never mentioning that somebody in the apartment opened fire on the cops first, thus forcing the cops (yes, forcing) to shoot back into the apartment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Breonna_Taylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night. Are you not going to shoot to protect yourself and your family?

No-knock raids are a setup, and this is the proof.
IMO the indictments should include whatever legislators drafted the no-knock law, whoever voted FOR it, the governator who signed it, and the judge who signed off on it.

When I think of no-knock I think of the story of a guy called Flaco, out in Houston.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/hou...#axzz6XfuEjTDs

Dark of night, five bad boys busted into Flaco's crib. At least three were armed with rifles according to a neighbor who witnessed it. Flaco was ready, with his AK-47. Three punks dead, two wounded, Flaco unharmed. He should be conducting classes now.

Quote:
AND that her boyfriend was taken into custody without harm?
Never mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Common knowledge.
Not as told by Pravda and Izvestia. Never mention it.

If the media were interested in facts, they'd tell the full story about lil Treyvon Martin being the aggressor who was in the act of attempted murder or assault with intent for great bodily harm on George Zimmerman, 6"shorter and not a seasoned street fighter as Martin was; of Harvard-bound Michael Brown who is seen on video roughing up a minority store owner in a strong-arm robbery, who had reached into Officer Wilson's car and attempted to wrest his service pistol from him, one shot was fired inside the car, and who was in the act of charging Wilson when Wilson opened fire in self-defense, taking Brown down; George Floyd who had assaulted the officers, Floyd had complained of not being able to breathe when the cops first approached his car, he had overdosed on drugs and that was his cause of death, and though it looked rough, the officers followed training SOP in that they had the combatant on the ground, restrained, and had called EMT. That case was classic by-the-books out of Training 101.

I challenge ANY of these media clowns to take a couple of dozen ride-alongs in any big city before they open their self-righteous mouths again.

All cases are twisted to make cops the bad guys. To update an old bumper sticker, if you don't like cops, next time there's trouble call a gang-banger.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 09-10-2020 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-10-2020, 03:00 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,371,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They, for good reason, thought she had money and drugs in the apartment. She WAS a target. Your suggestion is ridiculous.

Now you can argue about the timing, but the search of her apartment was necessary.
No it was not necessary in such a manner, not even close.

And...where are those drugs at that were there? Did they find any?

And you are very incorrect; "she" was not the target of any investigation, and even if she was, they could have "gasp" arrested her at work, when she is leaving her home, etc. Same with the guys they were after.

But no, they want to play Rambo action movie, come in with plain clothes, no knock entry, and are surprised when someone think they are an intruder and shoots back. And even when that happened, the dumb ass cops did not even manage to shoot the shooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies