Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 01:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
So do the movies actually have to be good?
Please define "good." Some of the best performing movies haven't been "good" according to critics and some of the best films have been financial bombs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 03:05 PM

6,335 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Please define "good." Some of the best performing movies haven't been "good" according to critics and some of the best films have been financial bombs.
Any movie about a transsexual has to be good. Because oppression.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Honestly it depends on how the movie is written, acted, directed and edited. You know, just like any other movie about any other issue...

Old 09-10-2020, 11:39 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I see hundreds of movies every year and I’ve never seen one about a transsexual. Dallas Buyers Club was a good movie and had a trans person in it, but it wasn’t about him. Again, are you going out of your way to be outraged?

Old 09-11-2020, 01:16 AM

119 posts, read 45,897 times
Sadly I no longer watch the oscars, unless Ricky Jarvis and/or Chris Rock are hosting.

As Rick once stated at the golden globes --referring to actors such as Meryl, [name your favorite bloviator here], you people have no right to lecture us on morals or politics because you're all uneducated idiots who are out of touch with reality ---the real derelicts of society.

...Just as football, concerts, much of theatre, I'm no longer interested. Entertainment has lost its meaning.

I'll find other hobbies.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:19 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoSavvy View Post
Sadly I no longer watch the oscars, unless Ricky Jarvis and/or Chris Rock are hosting.

As Rick once stated at the golden globes --referring to actors such as Meryl, [name your favorite bloviator here], you people have no right to lecture us on morals or politics because you're all uneducated idiots who are out of touch with reality ---the real derelicts of society.

...Just as football, concerts, much of theatre, I'm no longer interested. Entertainment has lost its meaning.

I'll find other hobbies.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:40 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ty-race-gender

Everyone gets a ribbon. It's no longer about the best it's about "inclusion".

Each standard has detailed subcategories as well. To meet the onscreen representation standard, a film must either have at least one lead character or a significant supporting character be from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group; at least 30% of secondary roles must be from two underrepresented groups; or the main storyline, theme or narrative must be focused on an underrepresented group. According to the academy, underrepresented groups include women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people or people with disabilities.

More reason to turn off the tube.
The Oscars became redundant when internet sites such as IMDB , Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic etc took over as the public's very own ranking systems in terms of movies.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:51 AM

7,333 posts, read 3,514,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Should be fine, all you barking righties stopped watching years ago.
Silly cancel culture righties.
? No one cancelled it

Old 09-11-2020, 08:06 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Ok, so you believe there is a large national liberal elite conspiracy to take over the country, against the wishes of a majority of the people in the country, with leftist marketing plans.

I believe that under capitalist free markets, companies are giving the people exactly what they want, and unfortunately for you its not what you want.

Which scenario is more likely true?
Oh and how could I have forgotten Bexos?

The real question that we should be asking is: don't you find it odd that you love billionaires like Zuckerberg, Google Twins and Bezos, who have more money than probably the bottom 30% of Americans, and Bezos who doesn't even give his employees unionization, livable wages and health care in much of America?

Why?

Old 09-11-2020, 08:13 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ty-race-gender

Everyone gets a ribbon. It's no longer about the best it's about "inclusion".

Each standard has detailed subcategories as well. To meet the onscreen representation standard, a film must either have at least one lead character or a significant supporting character be from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group; at least 30% of secondary roles must be from two underrepresented groups; or the main storyline, theme or narrative must be focused on an underrepresented group. According to the academy, underrepresented groups include women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people or people with disabilities.

More reason to turn off the tube.
So, if I understand this correctly, a movie with an ALL BLACK CAST would easily qualify for Best Picture, but a movie with an ALL WHITE CAST need not apply? WOW!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies