Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 01:10 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
However, in the binary world of the Jim Crow South, where you were either black or white, Asians didn't fit in either pigeonhole. For the purposes of the segregation laws, their status had to be defined. And so they were defined as being a group that was allowed to use the white facilities. But this doesn't mean that they were considered white.
The generation that grew up during segregation confirms that they were actually regarded as white

Listener2307 is an active poster here and he confided that his adopted Chinese sister was considered white in the 50s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There were no other races recognized; you were either Black or White. My Chinese sister was regarded as White, and there was a Tahitian girl who was also regarded as White.

//www.city-data.com/forum/45606991-post132.html
And the Tahitian girl was white and went to the white schools during segregation. So Pacific islanders were white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I knew Cubans who were very dark and they were not segregated away from White people. (Alabama, 1955)

If you were not a Negro then you were White.

Like I said, my Chinese sister and her Tahitian friend both went to the White high school.
//www.city-data.com/forum/45606991-post132.html
EVERYBODY was white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 02:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The generation that grew up during segregation confirms that they were actually regarded as white

Listener2307 is an active poster here and he confided that his adopted Chinese sister was considered white in the 50s.

And the Tahitian girl was white and went to the white schools during segregation. So Pacific islanders were white.

EVERYBODY was white.
Uh no. That wasn't the case in Mississippi. Chinese often operated in a zone that was neither white nor black there.

And definitely wasn't the case in California.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:52 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Identity politics is not good, no good can come out of it.

The OP strikes me as a normal average guy. OP, you do you and don't put so much thought into it. I am white so in all fairness I don't understand or know the dynamic personally but whatever.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:57 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Identity politics is not good, no good can come out of it.

The OP strikes me as a normal average guy. OP, you do you and don't put so much thought into it. I am white so in all fairness I don't understand or know the dynamic personally but whatever.
Well at least I have to give you some credit for admitting that and not trying to lecture people of color or minorities on how they should feel.

I happen to be a "member of the tribe" - same ethnicity as him, but diametrically opposite in terms of ideology - and have called him out for his neo-Confederate sympathies.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:19 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well at least I have to give you some credit for admitting that and not trying to lecture people of color or minorities on how they should feel.

I happen to be a "member of the tribe" - same ethnicity as him, but diametrically opposite in terms of ideology - and have called him out for his neo-Confederate sympathies.
And that is fine, free speech and all.

I'm personally getting a bit race weary at this point, like Rodney King said, can't we all just get along here?

Old 09-12-2020, 07:41 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post

EVERYBODY was white.
It would be interesting if Listener2307 could clarify this remark. Was his Chinese-born sister really considered "white"? Or was she considered "not black"? These two are not synonymous, even though they would both result in her being allowed to use the white facilities.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:06 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It would be interesting if Listener2307 could clarify this remark. Was his Chinese-born sister really considered "white"? Or was she considered "not black"? These two are not synonymous, even though they would both result in her being allowed to use the white facilities.
He has very clearly explained this multiple times before. Back then, if you were not a negro, you were white. They were actually regarded as white, and he believed that when he was growing up.

White was legally defined as all persons who were not of African descent. Listener2307's anecdote confirms that the concept was real (it wasn't just on paper). People actually believed that they were white in real life.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:45 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Most people who have lived in the U.S. for a significant period of time (5 years or more) are assimilated, unless very elderly. Trying to claim that other people aren’t assimilated because they aren’t just like you is silly.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:18 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Recently I was told by a white person that she never saw Asians as "people of color", and that she mainly associated the term with black people.

Hispanics do seem to fit in between, and I've noticed a lot of it depends on their level of assimilation. I do know that when the media calls you a "white Hispanic" its not good!

Old 09-19-2020, 11:21 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
But you have nothing to say about Republicans ralliying with guns, and not legally in front of state Capitol buildings.

And you also say “they thought you were Indian when they saw you,” but yet you choose to identify as Indian-American. In what proximity to “Indianness” do you or don’t identify.

Or exactly how far is Indian American from Indian.

And I will assume you aren’t several generations removed from India.
Bobby Jindal was Louisiana's first minority governor and while he was criticized during his term, many people now remember him fondly especially compared to the Democrat in power now. He famouly said he didn't believe in hyphenated Americans and believed in a unified American identity, and he also opposed efforts to take down the Confederate flag in Louisiana. I think the Confederate flag is part of Southern regional identity (not connected to any race) and a symbol of standing up to an overbearing federal government, not of racism or slavery despite what the liberals and the media say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies