Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:39 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Don't blame me. The term was "black" when I was growing up, so that's what I've stuck with. But I had nothing to do with choosing your self-descriptors. Again, just pick something and stick with it. We white people won't try to stop you.
Nope. People can chose whatever they want. See, it’s your learned cultural practice to try to tell “black” people how to identify. How psychotic is that? Are you not comfortable with yourself enough to concern yourself with your own identity? Do you tell different Asian groups how to identify? Do you tell different Hispanic groups how to identify (the non-black ones)?

No. It’s something cultural with some of you that you believe you have the right to dictate how people of African descent identify. It’s an obsession that you all need to deal with. It’s not your identity. Stay out. Notice that nobody else gives a hoot how you identify. The rest of us do not suffer from that obsessive mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 08:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If a white person had designed that flag they would have said it was racist because it looks like a watermelon.
it does look like a watermelon..! lol

Old 09-10-2020, 08:53 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Don't blame me. The term was "black" when I was growing up, so that's what I've stuck with. But I had nothing to do with choosing your self-descriptors. Again, just pick something and stick with it. We white people won't try to stop you.
If you were truly as color blind as you claim, it wouldn’t matter. In what situations does the color of the person need to come up?

Our waiter was black?
My professor was black?
My accountant is black?
The manager was black?

Why?

Old 09-10-2020, 08:54 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
No. An African-American is a descendant of slavery in the U.S, someone with a heritage here. Not everyone “black” in the U.S. falls into that category. So trying to act like that flag represents any and everyone black is ignorant.

That’s one of the reasons why many people take issue with Kamala Harris allowing others to refer to her by that term or even using it herself. Because she’s Jamaican-American.
I just think it’s hard for some to grasp that, yes, black people, like other groups can actually be ethnically different from each other.

But of course we know blacks are just blacks to many people. LOL.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:57 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Nope. People can chose whatever they want. See, it’s your learned cultural practice to try to tell “black” people how to identify. How psychotic is that? Are you not comfortable with yourself enough to concern yourself with your own identity? Do you tell different Asian groups how to identify? Do you tell different Hispanic groups how to identify (the non-black ones)?

No. It’s something cultural with some of you that you believe you have the right to dictate how people of African descent identify. It’s an obsession that you all need to deal with. It’s not your identity. Stay out. Notice that nobody else gives a hoot how you identify. The rest of us do not suffer from that obsessive mentality.
You're in quite the mood tonight. "People can chose [sic] whatever they want." Isn't that exactly what I said? Nowhere have I ever claimed any kind of right to choose how you want to call yourselves. I'll admit that I get annoyed when I don't change over to the newly decided term fast enough and some of you all get mad at me for it, like I'm purposely trying to insult you. But no, I don't tell anyone else how to identify themselves. Good night.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:16 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If a white person had designed that flag they would have said it was racist because it looks like a watermelon.
Yes, I could see them doing that.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
You're in quite the mood tonight. "People can chose [sic] whatever they want." Isn't that exactly what I said? Nowhere have I ever claimed any kind of right to choose how you want to call yourselves. I'll admit that I get annoyed when I don't change over to the newly decided term fast enough and some of you all get mad at me for it, like I'm purposely trying to insult you. But no, I don't tell anyone else how to identify themselves. Good night.
LOL...I likely am in a mood and I’ll get you back for the [sic]...haha.

Yea, understand. I don’t get upset with people because it’s difficult for people to know. But remember that this country took over 40 different African ethnicities during slavery labeled them by color. Not even sure what came first. So when people complain, it’s strange to me that they haven’t considered American history. The only term anyone with a heritage chose or coined to use was AA and from what I understand, not everyone accepted it at that point.

But it seems tough for people (not just white either) to grasp ethnic diversity among people of African origin here but they are less bothered by it with Asians, for example. Just an observation.

Good night.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I just think it’s hard for some to grasp that, yes, black people, like other groups can actually be ethnically different from each other.

But of course we know blacks are just blacks to many people. LOL.
Yes, that’s true. But they conveniently recognize it when they want to compare Nigerian-Americans and other groups to African-Americans, for example.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:05 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
Maybe Antifa will burn it?

Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 PM

553 posts, read 616,636 times
Quote:
No. That’s the Pan-African flag. Look at the flag in the article’s video.

It’s this one:

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...nce-in-the-u-s
FOX News may have posted the wrong flag. The local FOX channel in KC made specific mention of the flag being designed 100 years ago, which would be referring to the Pan-African flag.

Last edited by jobber123rd; 09-10-2020 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies