Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 08:27 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just a question. There are many states with vast forest, one being the state I live in, Michigan. While I think we've had a few small quickly contained forest fires, they are really uncommon. Yet it seems yearly on the west coast. Why ?

I know we have "fire" roads and corridors cut through the forests, and areas do get "treed" sometimes, companies will come in a clear out entire areas then replant new trees. Not sure if every state does this.
One big factor is climate. Over the years, temperatures in this region especially have increased, as well as drought. Those conditions make for very dry vegetation everywhere. I know many years here in Utah, we don't get enough snow and rain and/or it melts off earlier than usual.

Also, "And in many parts of the West, a history of fire suppression—that is, fighting fires in areas where they were once allowed to burn—has also increased the amount of dry vegetation. This vegetation then builds up and allows more dangerous and uncontrolled fires to spread, putting both humans and nature at risk."
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...ornia-drought/

Old 09-11-2020, 08:32 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Quote:
Just a question. There are many states with vast forest, one being the state I live in, Michigan. While I think we've had a few small quickly contained forest fires, they are really uncommon. Yet it seems yearly on the west coast. Why ?

I know we have "fire" roads and corridors cut through the forests, and areas do get "treed" sometimes, companies will come in a clear out entire areas then replant new trees. Not sure if every state does this.
It's DRY in the west. Very low humidity and we generally don't see rain/snow in Montana until October.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-11-2020 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-11-2020, 08:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 2,869,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Why would they burn blue states?
Why would they riot in Blue states ?

Old 09-11-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
are the wildfires a peaceful protest?
only if no one sees them

Old 09-11-2020, 11:15 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,134 times
Quote:

A lack of moisture in the trees, scrub, and grasses, and also in the air. It’s just terribly arid on the west coast, and the region is prone to dry lightning storms. I grew up in the humid upper midwest and moved west about twenty years ago. There is just no comparison.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:22 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...lanned-attack/

Sounds like Pantifa/BLM has gotten bored with just burning cities and is moving to the country. How many more will die before these domestic terrorists and their supporters are locked up?
There have been arrests made. An interesting point of fact I have been surprised to learn far to many people dont know. The rules if lethal force list three major crimes in which said force can and should be applied preemptively to. These are, murder, rape and arson.

Arson is considered to be a crime with intent to cause death or great bodily harm. It is NOT a property crime. A LEO or citizen with the means and ability witnessing attempt at arson may shoot the perpetrator dead on sight.

Even people I know who carry didnt know this. But it is fact. The Big Three are canon to the rules of use of lethal force. And arson is on that list.

The radical left's love of fire is going to and should long hence already have come home to roost on them. Arsonists should be shot full of holes when witnessed in the act of setting fires. They are no different from someone trying to commit cold blooded murder or someone sexually forcing themselves on a woman.

Fleabag varmints that both need and deserve killing. So let it be written.. so let it be done.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:10 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There have been arrests made. An interesting point of fact I have been surprised to learn far to many people dont know. The rules if lethal force list three major crimes in which said force can and should be applied preemptively to. These are, murder, rape and arson.

Arson is considered to be a crime with intent to cause death or great bodily harm. It is NOT a property crime. A LEO or citizen with the means and ability witnessing attempt at arson may shoot the perpetrator dead on sight.

Even people I know who carry didnt know this. But it is fact. The Big Three are canon to the rules of use of lethal force. And arson is on that list.

The radical left's love of fire is going to and should long hence already have come home to roost on them. Arsonists should be shot full of holes when witnessed in the act of setting fires. They are no different from someone trying to commit cold blooded murder or someone sexually forcing themselves on a woman.

Fleabag varmints that both need and deserve killing. So let it be written.. so let it be done.
What 'rules of lethal force'? Nevada?

Montana code does have a statute for defense of ones own property or the property that they may have a legal duty to protect.

Quote:
45-3-104. Use of force in defense of other property. A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with either real property, other than an occupied structure, or personal property lawfully in the person's possession or in the possession of another who is a member of the person's immediate family or household or of a person whose property the person has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
You gotta be cautious using lethal force under this statute.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:40 PM

Guess the Nut Case in Portland doing the BLM Two Step didn't know this.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:38 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
One big factor is climate. Over the years, temperatures in this region especially have increased, as well as drought. Those conditions make for very dry vegetation everywhere. I know many years here in Utah, we don't get enough snow and rain and/or it melts off earlier than usual.

Also, "And in many parts of the West, a history of fire suppression—that is, fighting fires in areas where they were once allowed to burn—has also increased the amount of dry vegetation. This vegetation then builds up and allows more dangerous and uncontrolled fires to spread, putting both humans and nature at risk."
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...ornia-drought/
Thank you for one of the more common sense posts here. I am sure that in every wildfire, there was likely an arsonist involved. However, I doubt for a moment this was connected to the rioters and protesters. It could have been a brush fire started by careless campers. It could have been powerline issues. Lightning strikes have played a role as well. Also consider that there has been a drier and hotter than average summer. On top of this, the Santa Ana and Diablo winds from the interior west fanning out to the West Coast.

Alot of people never consider how the climate in California plays a big role in causing wildfires. Many people never talk about prescribed burns and how that helps to clean up some of the vegetation.

All of this conspiracy theory stuff is just sad.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:48 PM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:

I'm in Idaho, but our situation isn't much different than WA and OR. Most of our forests are owned and managed by the federal government (unlike the state forests in much of the east). Something like 70% of Idaho is owned by the feds-who, BTW, are the only landowners that pay no property taxes. The federal government has virtually eliminated logging and any form of management on National Forest lands. Even they recognize the need-any time they try to do a timber sale, it is challenged by a lawsuit from an environmental organization. A lawsuit that is paid for by YOUR tax dollars. So, logging is essentially over, having been reduced by 95% since the 1980s. As a result-our forests are overcrowded-filled with dead, dying timber. In these conditions, insects and disease kill entire mountainsides, leaving them covered with dense, dry fuel, waiting for a spark. Worse is that all the roads built decades ago for logging access have either been deliberately destroyed or abandoned. As such, when a fire does start, there is no way to access it and effectively fight it.

This is much less of an issue in Idaho on our state forests. They are managed by different rules, and are actually managed, not just abandoned and left to burn. California has it even worse-as bad as the federal laws hamper management-their state laws are even worse.

I grew up in western NY. Most of the east has little to worry about as far as wildfires-with as much rain as you get in MI, or we had in NY, or most of the east, it's hard to even start a wildfire-and the humidity and amount of moisture in the ground and in vegetation makes fires hard hard to start and sustain themselves. In Idaho we get around 18 inches total precipitation (water equivalent). Our relative humidity is around 15-20% in the summer months. It's common to go from July through September with no rain, or at most a brief shower or two.

The other big issue in the east? It's crowded, it's hard to get more than a very few miles from a road, so you have access for fire fighting. Not like that in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies