Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2023, 05:31 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A thread about how welfare has hurt the black family and you have the nerve to think it's falsely playing the race card? hahahahaha Stop with the fake drama and refute the OP. I dare you.

Again here is your false race card playing post - "I think white conservatives tend to like him because he makes them feel like they are not racist. Which is fine; sometimes he’s right. But he’s no Einstein."
Not all people but just whites. It's sleazy to make things up.

People who care about the truth know it does make sense.
"I think white conservatives tend to"

Then stop "thinking" before you hurt something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 05:36 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Of course it is. Take away a humans pride and purpose and what is left?
Government control and oppression.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:03 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Everything that requires tax dollars doesn't require you to be poor to receive it, welfare does.

Black people are not stupid, they're simply doing what makes the most money and benefits: having kids out of wedlock and kicking the father out the house.

Welfare reform is the only way to reverse this damage. Thomas Sowell is very clear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa..._welfare_state
Sadly, that's true.

And it's not just Blacks. All races do this. Though, Blacks do it at a highly disproportionate level.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:34 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Surely this can be settled with data. What is the annual expenditure on welfare programs versus the annual percentage of fatherless black households with children
I've been away for a few weeks, but I'm back.

I really don't know. However, this is what I see. Welfare expenditure was lower in the 1930s-1960s than it is now. However, this didn't stop the Black population from having the highest rates of fatherless homes, single motherhood, and the highest rates of divorce. Senator Moynihan himself said that the Black population (particularly its underclass) was seeing significant increases in single parenthood, particularly among single mothers. I'm saying there are other problems besides welfare. Pointing ALL of the blame on welfare is dishonest. The onset effects of slavery isn't the only part of how dysfunctions within alot of poor Blacks. There was also something else that no one is thinking about. Black single motherhood, fatherlessness, divorce, that stuff was increasing with the urbanization of Black Americans during the 1950s.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:47 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
This suffers greatly from attribution error. It's not reasonable to pin every single problem within the black community on welfare, that's absurd to me. Wonder how they would fare if welfare didn't exist at all? Maybe better (for the remainder), due to the fact that many would have simply died on the streets or in prison.

Of course, USA welfare has its major, major problems.

Last edited by Haksel257; 04-05-2023 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
This suffers greatly from attribution error. It's not reasonable to pin every single problem within the black community on welfare, that's absurd to me. Wonder how they would fare if welfare didn't exist at all? Maybe better (for the remainder), due to the fact that many would have simply died on the streets or in prison.

Of course, USA welfare has its major, major problems.
This is where I think this comes from. It grows out of the personal responsibility mindset that was permeating conservatism during the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s.

Personally, I don't think the underclass within the Black population will fare better. It won't matter to the Black middle class, which is bigger than it was in the 1960s. For the underclass, I think things will just get worse. I think what we'll see is crime getting worse.

I look at Brazil as an example. Brazil is one of the most murderous countries in the Western Hemisphere outside of the Caribbean. Brazil was never big on the welfare state. When many in Brazil can't take care to themselves, many turn to things like drug dealing, prostitution, stealing, and alot of killing. And the police have no qualms about killing people.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Unintended consequences of welfare reform.

The reason welfare has split dads away from families is this - it was believed, early on, that if a dad was present in the household he should be given the respect of a head of household, and encouraged to support his family himself. So, if the father was present, welfare was slow to act, hoping to spur him on to fulfill his responsibilities. If the father was NOT present, then, it was more obvious the family needed help.

Caseworkers, going to homes where the father was present but the family was destitute, often confided in the family that if the father just weren't there, they'd be entitled to more benefits. So, as a result, often the dads left, where they had originally wanted to stay and raise their kids.

Had welfare funded families in need where the dad was present or absent, this resulting kicking out of the dads wouldn't have happened, but hindsight, and all, being what it is. Well . . .
It could be seen as an unintended consequence. On the flip side, I examine another factor. Per capita, Black families already were dealing with higher rates of fatherless homes. Senator Moynihan spoke of the growing fatherlessness in Black families living in New York. During the 1950s and 60s, there was a rapid migration of Black Americans to the urban areas. One thing that happened to be taking place was a rising divorce rates, more and more broken families, and other kinds of upheaval.

Even when Blacks were being largely excluded from welfare (notably during the 1930s), the fatherless issue was worse for Blacks than anyone else.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Government control and oppression.
That is literally what Black Americans have experienced the majority of their time in the USA, from the moment they were forcibly brought here. That is a historical fact. Blacks were having their pride and dignity stripped from them from day one. It didn't matter if the government had their hands in it or not.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:52 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Thomas Sowell doesn’t care about what is destructive to blacks.

He cares about perpetuating the free market no government ideology that his benefactors want him to perpetuate.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Thomas Sowell doesn’t care about what is destructive to blacks.

He cares about perpetuating the free market no government ideology that his benefactors want him to perpetuate.
Thomas Sowell is an economist, first and foremost. Economics is what he knows best. He is someone who thinks the free market will solve everything. I can look down the annals of history and be shown otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies