Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 07:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Guess what? I'm white and that is the exact same road map I used to get out of poverty. Unfortunately your fix requires some things that are extraordinary.

1. Sacrifice
2. Owning your own future
3. perseverance

Oh yeah and not being an idiot with your money. LOL
Well, I was born into very propitious circumstances to be successful. No poverty for me.

But yeah, I get your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 07:51 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Damn right most if not damn near ALL whites would strongly disagree. Better believe it.

But they agree with anything he says negative about black folks near unanimously
In contrast to what you claim, it's the reverse, and you're an example of this. Black folks just aren't that into white folks. We hear all the time now about how white folks need to listen to black folks. I agree. If they do, and if they set aside their willful ignorance, they'll realize how disliked by black people white people are. I don't know how many times the message has to be made clear for googly-eyed, naive, sheltered white folks to accept this.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:33 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I disagree. Fatherlessness has indeed been a big problem for many Black families for years. However, to blame this on welfare would be disingenuous. It assumes that if welfare didn't exist, Black men would stay in the home and be fathers. It fails to mention that, per capita, the Black population has had a higher rate of fatherlessness, divorce, and out of wedlock births as far back as the Great Depression. Some men just up and left the families, leaving them to fend for themselves.

In fact, when the New Deal was being drafted, one of the programs drafted was a welfare program. However, that program was mainly for White women who lost their husbands due to the man leaving, or the man dying. Black women, were largely shut out of that program. Out of wedlock birth rates for Black women were higher than that of White women. Fatherlessness among Blacks was higher than among Whites. In fact, the last time the Black out of wedlock birth rate was under 30% was during the early 1940s (I think WWII had something to do with that). Out of wedlock birth rates reached close to 41% during the mid/late 1950s. Fatherless homes has been a problem even before the "welfare state".

I notice other things aren't being discussed. The war on drugs has resulted in alot of fatherless homes. Men who were put in prison and stayed there for a long time. And then there is no fault divorce. I notice when no-fault divorced appeared during the 1970s, divorce rates skyrocketed. And with that, came the "I don't need a man" mentality. Of the single mothers in this country, divorcees count for a very large part of that. Thomas Sowell didn't mention that the Black population has the highest divorce rate in the country.

Those government programs might be there. However, so is no-fault divorce. So is the "I don't need a man".

Something else. The Black middle class has gotten larger since the 1960s. Black poverty rates have dropped since the 1960s. For Black people who have made it to the middle class, life is better than it would have been in the 1960s. For the underclass, thanks to the demise/changes in the industrial economy, things have gotten worse. I notice alot of men got put out of work from that, especially Black men. A better question is this. Why are some women choosing welfare over a man?

As a side note, two experiences have really left an impression on me. I went into a Wal-Mart to cash a check, and I noticed something. There were alot of Black people working there, but it was mainly women. No Black men. I had to go to the DMV and saw the same thing. Plenty of Black people working there, but none of them were men. I later read a statistic that stated Black men have higher unemployment rates than Black women. I notice this isn't factored in when it comes to fatherless homes.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
In contrast to what you claim, it's the reverse, and you're an example of this. Black folks just aren't that into white folks. We hear all the time now about how white folks need to listen to black folks. I agree. If they do, and if they set aside their willful ignorance, they'll realize how disliked by black people white people are. I don't know how many times the message has to be made clear for googly-eyed, naive, sheltered white folks to accept this.
DUUUUUUUUUH!! Hell, I’ve been saying that forever.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:19 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
and if he is, he'd lose his argument right away. The African American poverty rate was around 50% in 1960. Today it's about 20-21%.
Sowell points out the AA poverty rate dropped from roughly 85% in 1940 to 47% in 1960, without the welfare state. He also compares family units, crime, labor force participation before and after 1960.

He's basically asking why were conditions improving before the Great Society/War on Poverty/ Welfare State if the legacy of slavery is the Major reason for conditions in 2020.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:51 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Sowell points out the AA poverty rate dropped from roughly 85% in 1940 to 47% in 1960, without the welfare state. He also compares family units, crime, labor force participation before and after 1960.

He's basically asking why were conditions improving before the Great Society/War on Poverty/ Welfare State if the legacy of slavery is the Major reason for conditions in 2020.
You're forgetting or ignoring what he said about the influence of "redneck culture" on the whole of our Country's development. Encouraged by the fetishization of the Confederacy & its followers.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

The Black poverty rate is lower now (even with the hot mess of 2007-2008) than it was in the 1960s. Things have been getting BOTH better and worse. The rise in fatherlessness and the "welfare state" might have coincided. At the same time, there are other things Thomas Sowell doesn't mention. No-fault divorce, this 3rd wave of feminism that involves "I don't need a man".

The Black middle class has grown since the 1960s. The Black underclass, however, has seen things get worse. Another thing that hasn't been considered is the declining industrial base in many cities. Look at cities like Detroit, St. Louis, Birmingham, etc.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You're forgetting or ignoring what he said about the influence of "redneck culture" on the whole of our Country's development. Encouraged by the fetishization of the Confederacy & its followers.
I've mentioned this over and over, and few people listen.

I will also add something else. Industrial jobs have been on the decline since the 1970s. It used to be that alot of Black men worked in the factories. Now, this isn't as much of a thing. One thing that hasn't been considered is that there is a higher percentage of Black women in the work force than Black men.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I disagree. Fatherlessness has indeed been a big problem for many Black families for years. However, to blame this on welfare would be disingenuous.
No, it is not.

LBJerk's Grotesque Society destroyed the Black family. It's documented through literally 1,000s of studies since about 1972. Before the Grotesque Society, there was a strong Black family with the incidence of divorce lower than Whites.

Why do you think you have Neo-Cons?

Irving Kristol was the head of the Social Democrats (not the same thing as Democrats) who crafted the Grotesque Society legislation.

In 1974, in an interview with the New York Times, Irving Kristol was lamenting the fact that the Grotesque Society legislation they had crafted was a total massive fail and the interviewer dubbed the Social Democrats as "Neo-Cons" and it stuck.

Irving is dead now, but his commie son William Kristol runs the group.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:49 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Thread title: Sowell: Welfare More Destructive To Blacks Than Slavery

Sowell's said many things about many things. As to the influence of redneck culture, his viewpoint is that despite that influence, racial prejudice, and legal discrimination, the AA population was catching up to whites in terms of education, skills, and income prior to the welfare programs of the 60's; the rate of catching up decreased with the introduction of welfare; and those programs are more of a legacy than slavery.

There's something called Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome. I don't know what Sowell thinks about that. My guess is he rejects it. Maybe he'd accept Southern White Redneck Culture and Welfare State Syndrome.

Anyway, all my 1st post did was clarify Sowell wasn't comparing the conditions of slavery to the post-60's conditions of AA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies