Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2020, 07:06 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Ask yourself this. Why were so many Black men struggling to provide for their families up to the 1960s?
From what I understand, they were struggling from racism, but things were slowly improving.

Families were much more intact, which provided a good foundation for a positive future.

The leaders of all of the advancements in race relations were led by men. What do we have today? Where are the men? Who created Black Lives Matter Inc? Women... who have been brainwashed by Marxists.

We don't have a race problem... we have a man problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 07:37 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I know but you asked a question and I answered.
And I asked another question because there is more to this than you think. I am asking you this for a reason. Why were so many Black men struggling to provide for their families?

Old 09-12-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Kentucky
Do you live in Louisville or Lexington, or one of the smaller cities? That could make a difference. If one lives in Louisville, a large number of homeless people will be Black. That's the big city. If you live in one of the smaller cities, a large portion of the homeless population will be White, by simple fact that Whites are a large part of the population. Per capita, however, there is a higher percentage of the Black male population that is homeless, nationwide, than White men. There is a higher percentage of Black men being homeless than Black women. I brought up that fact because there was a point I was trying to drive home, but few people are paying attention or are just ignoring it.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From what I understand, they were struggling from racism, but things were slowly improving.

Families were much more intact, which provided a good foundation for a positive future.

The leaders of all of the advancements in race relations were led by men. What do we have today? Where are the men? Who created Black Lives Matter Inc? Women... who have been brainwashed by Marxists.

We don't have a race problem... we have a man problem.
It was slowly improving, but not fast enough. This is what I was getting at. For a long time, Black men had a hard time getting work relative to other groups. It is something that has been an issue for a long time. Black men were often the last to be hired, and the first to be let go. There has been alot of discrimination that Black men had to deal with in the job market. There have been cases where Black women were more likely to have work than Black men. Drastic improvements would be needed. Very drastic. By the time civil rights legislation was passed, the economy was starting to change.

Strong families do provide a good foundation for a positive future. I don't disagree with you on that. I'm living proof of that. I come from a 2 parent home. My parents are still married after 35+ years. This is a rarity considering alot of people where my parents live have been divorced. I know people who are in their 30s who have been divorced 2 or 3 times.

At the same time, I don't think welfare is the ultimate cause of the problem. My point is this. There have been many things that have been hurting the Black population. One thing that is often never examined is how much crap Black men have been catching. Being brutalized, being treated like an eternal threat, etc. America has had race problems for years. The men, however, have taken some of the worst brunt of it. You can't talk about fatherlessness without talking about what's up with the men. People aren't talking about why many Black men had trouble providing for their families. The #1 thing that was needed was to end job discrimination. And yes, men were leading the civil rights movement. What really hurt many Black families was this mantra of "I don't need a man".

Old 09-12-2020, 09:40 PM

I watched a video documentary about Black American men traveling to Brazil. One thing that documentary talked about was that Black females were being encouraged to college far more than Black males were. Why? Well, the documentary was about Black American men who were frustrated with Black American women, in terms of dating and relationships. And these are not broke Black men. These are middle class/middle upper class Black men talking about said issues. Some of those men felt like they would be more respected in Brazil or somewhere else overseas. It leaves something to wonder. I sometimes wonder if putting the man out of the house and a relatively low (relative to Black women) rate of encouraging Black men to go to college are related in a way.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:07 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
It was slowly improving, but not fast enough. This is what I was getting at. For a long time, Black men had a hard time getting work relative to other groups. It is something that has been an issue for a long time. Black men were often the last to be hired, and the first to be let go. There has been alot of discrimination that Black men had to deal with in the job market. There have been cases where Black women were more likely to have work than Black men. Drastic improvements would be needed. Very drastic. By the time civil rights legislation was passed, the economy was starting to change.

Strong families do provide a good foundation for a positive future. I don't disagree with you on that. I'm living proof of that. I come from a 2 parent home. My parents are still married after 35+ years. This is a rarity considering alot of people where my parents live have been divorced. I know people who are in their 30s who have been divorced 2 or 3 times.

At the same time, I don't think welfare is the ultimate cause of the problem. My point is this. There have been many things that have been hurting the Black population. One thing that is often never examined is how much crap Black men have been catching. Being brutalized, being treated like an eternal threat, etc. America has had race problems for years. The men, however, have taken some of the worst brunt of it. You can't talk about fatherlessness without talking about what's up with the men. People aren't talking about why many Black men had trouble providing for their families. The #1 thing that was needed was to end job discrimination. And yes, men were leading the civil rights movement. What really hurt many Black families was this mantra of "I don't need a man".
How fast is fast enough? We didn't have much control of what took place. But because the family structure was in place, they could hold firm through the slow process.

My parents will be hitting 60 years next year. Amazing.

Fatherlessness... the answer seems pretty simple. If you can't take care of kids, don't do the one deed that produces kids. I know... either said than done. From the standpoint of God - sex ratifies the covenant of marriage. That's how we function optimally. Sex in marriage... kids produced... two parents. Even if they couldn't provide... be there for your kids. Job discrimination has nothing to do with parenting your kid - other than maybe how much you can spend.

But that's the hook in the whole welfare scheme back then. Get rid of the father, then you can get the money.

For today - we have to break the cycle of fatherless homes. It's totally within our control. It has nothing to do with the police or white folk. I have two out of three college grads. The other one is back at home figuring things out. None of them have been in trouble - praise the Lord. Most of the kids at our church with two parent households - kids are good. And even some of the single parent households have done OK because they have access to some men at church.

Start here - and in most cases, the police will never be a factor in a young black man's life. They may not get the career they want, but hopefully they will have been brought up to not destroy themselves and others.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
All you have to do is visit a super max prison and see the affects of Welfare on the black community. Not much diversity there.
Lol...I don’t know what Federal prison or Federal Supermax prison you’ve been too.

Federal prisons are incredibly diverse. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. Look at the lineup at Florence Supermax.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:12 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
And I asked another question because there is more to this than you think. I am asking you this for a reason. Why were so many Black men struggling to provide for their families?
And I'm tired of the same questions over and over in every thread about this. Why do you always ask, as if you don't know, why women 'chose welfare over men'?

Old 09-13-2020, 03:05 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
I watched a video documentary about Black American men traveling to Brazil. One thing that documentary talked about was that Black females were being encouraged to college far more than Black males were. Why? Well, the documentary was about Black American men who were frustrated with Black American women, in terms of dating and relationships. And these are not broke Black men. These are middle class/middle upper class Black men talking about said issues. Some of those men felt like they would be more respected in Brazil or somewhere else overseas. It leaves something to wonder. I sometimes wonder if putting the man out of the house and a relatively low (relative to Black women) rate of encouraging Black men to go to college are related in a way.
Personally, as a first-gen American, the Black American men who go to Brazil seem like those with insecurities in their manhood, looking for women to subjugate and for something that they see as exotic to make them feel better about themselves. To me, some Black American men’s frustrations come from wanting traditional roles in the home from women but not knowing how to provide the same. They are just...different. That’s another discussion though...

Old 09-13-2020, 05:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
For right wingers to actually be debating that welfare is worse than slavery makes me think the Internet as a whole needs to be re-evaluated. People that proudly ignorant don't deserve a voice or access to a technology that lets them spread endless toxicity. Malignant human beings at their best.
You're another leftist who doesn't understand or chooses to misrepresent what Sowell is saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies