Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 08:59 PM

365 posts, read 269,632 times

Advertisements

Going thru my Dad's stuff to make up a Military Tribute and Shadow Box, I found this.
Then after all the who-ha about our Veterans, I was wondering if our sitting President sends these out.
Attached Thumbnails
I wonder if our sitting President sends these out-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 09:30 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,423,566 times
No President sends them out.

That certificate must be requested by the next of kin via the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through the National Cemetery Association. Beginning in 2020 the certificate is automatically awarded if the veteran is buried in a National Cemetery, otherwise the family must submit form 40-0247.

The program, started by JFK, has been signed by "auto pen" since it's inception.

I have one for my father bearing the signature of Richard M. Nixon and my friend has one with Donald Trump's. Her son is buried in Arlington Cemetery. My father's is in a shadow box along with the flag that draped his casket and his all medals including the ones form WWII and the Korean War.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:43 PM

365 posts, read 269,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
No President sends them out.

That certificate must be requested by the next of kin via the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through the National Cemetery Association. Beginning in 2020 the certificate is automatically awarded if the veteran is buried in a National Cemetery, otherwise the family must submit form 40-0247.

The program, started by JFK, has been signed by "auto pen" since it's inception.

I have one for my father bearing the signature of Richard M. Nixon and my friend has one with Donald Trump's. Her son is buried in Arlington Cemetery. My father's is in a shadow box along with the flag that draped his casket and his all medals including the ones form WWII and the Korean War.
This I did not know. How does one request something like this, if it isn't every day knowledge? I don't who in my family, that would have know this to request it for my Dad. I inherited this from another family member.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwolfman View Post
This I did not know. How does one request something like this, if it isn't every day knowledge? I don't who in my family, that would have know this to request it for my Dad. I inherited this from another family member.
In the world of most military families it is everyday knowledge. All funeral homes and cemeteries are familiar with all types of honors that are awarded to vets. They in turn let families, that didn't have prior knowledge, know what the deceased is entitled to. At the time of death military families can contact the Department of Veteran Affairs to get information.

I'm in a different category altogether. My father was career military, as was my husband and sons. I work on a very large military installation counseling active duty, retirees, and dependents. I have access to all types of information and disseminate that to them as the need arises.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:11 PM

For those that may like to obtain a certificate here's a good link.

Be prepared to have a death certificate and the DD-214.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies