Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 03:18 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am not a fan of felons voting, but at least this state is wisely mandating they comply with all consequences of their sentence before being granted the privileges of a second chance at voting again.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...dQU?li=BBnbfcN
Why? you know how many people were convicted as felons for weed or something stupid they did in their youth? In the USA if you blow it - you are punished for life. Unless have money. That gets you a free pass to anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 03:23 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why? you know how many people were convicted as felons for weed or something stupid they did in their youth? In the USA if you blow it - you are punished for life. Unless have money. That gets you a free pass to anything
And you know how many people did not commit any such crime? Way, way more than those that did.

You are telling me those people that committed a felony had zero idea what they were doing was illegal and a felony?

As an immigrant, one thing that always baffled me about the US is just how many not only commit such crimes, but how many are almost fanatic in defense of them doing so.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
And you know how many people did not commit any such crime? Way, way more than those that did.

You are telling me those people that committed a felony had zero idea what they were doing was illegal and a felony?

As an immigrant, one thing that always baffled me about the US is just how many not only commit such crimes, but how many are almost fanatic in defense of them doing so.
I think voting should be mandatory for all citizens period. BTW some states already allow it -and I think Canada as well - in fact I’m not sure what country stops any citizen from voting ?

Old 09-12-2020, 03:37 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Possessing will not make you a felon. Selling properly does.

Great job, Fl.

Simply pay restitution and fines.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:41 PM

https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...ng-rights.aspx

Here’s the list. State to state it’s different
- if you have to pay fines or restitution as part of your conviction I have no issues. But Fl that o know of still has not allowed them to vote.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:05 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In Vermont, Bernie's state, one can vote while in prison. It should be that way nationally!
Maine also lets prisoners vote. It's spreading. Quick, nuke New England!

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...e-s-why-few-do

Old 09-13-2020, 01:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wrong.

Poll taxes were not affected by personal behavior. Becoming a felon is a personal decision.
Didn't you know... rights can never be taken. they are not governments to give or take.
Voting must be a privilege.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:44 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
I think voting should be mandatory for all citizens period. BTW some states already allow it -and I think Canada as well - in fact I’m not sure what country stops any citizen from voting ?
I rather voting not be mandatory, the right to vote also implies the right to not vote, just as the right to own a gun also means the right not to own one, the right to practice religion means the right not to practice one, etc.

There is nothing worse than making someone vote, that someone's vote will be an uniformed, could not care less, vote.

No thanks.

Quote:
https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...ng-rights.aspx

Here’s the list. State to state it’s different
- if you have to pay fines or restitution as part of your conviction I have no issues. But Fl that o know of still has not allowed them to vote.
Florida allows felons to vote, once they complete all aspects of their punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Didn't you know... rights can never be taken. they are not governments to give or take.
Voting must be a privilege.
When a person is convicted of a felony, they decided to give up some rights when they decided to commit such a felony. No one forced them to do it, this is a decision they made all on their own.

The solution to this problem is easy; do not commit a felony.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:57 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
And don't we all know how many innocent people end up behind bars in this country, due to plea agreements which don't exist in other countries. How many times do you read of someone being released from prison, due to DNA evidence, who's been imprisoned for many years.
Then, you must agree with Trump on his move to released wrongly accused people from prison like the older black woman that gave a speech at his event

Old 09-13-2020, 07:48 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
In Vermont, Bernie's state, one can vote while in prison. It should be that way nationally!

Felons voting- that is just dandy.

Dems, of course, want those who are wed to lawlessness and violence supporting them. Felons have already demonstrated that they do not agree with the rule of law and cannot live by civil standards and should be excluded from voting.

The dem party- the party of trannies, pedophiles, freaks, felons, criminals, and anarchists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies