Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 10:42 AM

30,396 posts, read 12,001,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sweden is down to one death a day due to COVID now with about 100-200 new cases. No lockdowns, no mask requirements. Simple guidance on how to stay safe through social distancing.

Numbers are down because of the warmer weather and people outside. Their deaths and cases are much much higher than their neighboring countries. Denmark has 600 deaths, Norway has 200 deaths while Sweden has 5000. Norway has only had one death in the last month. Denmark is average 0 deaths per day the past week.

I am a Libertarian and all for people deciding not the government what freedoms we have. But freedom does have a price. It never comes free. Part of the difference between a country like Sweden and America is when the Swedish government says you should wear a mask the people there understand that to meaning they should wear a mask. When governments here say Americans should wear a mask, most interpret that to meaning you don't have to wear a mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 10:50 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,778,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Numbers are down because of the warmer weather and people outside. Their deaths and cases are much much higher than their neighboring countries. Denmark has 600 deaths, Norway has 200 deaths while Sweden has 5000. Norway has only had one death in the last month. Denmark is average 0 deaths per day the past week.

I am a Libertarian and all for people deciding not the government what freedoms we have. But freedom does have a price. It never comes free. Part of the difference between a country like Sweden and America is when the Swedish government says you should wear a mask the people there understand that to meaning they should wear a mask. When governments here say Americans should wear a mask, most interpret that to meaning you don't have to wear a mask.
80% of swedish deaths were in their nursing homes. The government of Sweden has admitted it did a terrible job protecting people in those facilities.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:54 AM

1,131 posts, read 391,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Our 7 day average has been below 1,000 for 3 weeks, and currently stands at 750.

I remember the first 30-45 days when all we did was pay attention to IHME. Ohh, all those projected overwhelmed hospitals and shortage of ventilators. I don't think anyone's paid attention to them since.

Anybody remember the term "flatten the curve"?
I understand the first wave isn't overwith - no matter what Dr.UV Light Sanitizers Trump says.

The flattened the curve was intended not to overwhelm the hospitals, not put a complete end to the pandemic. It was successfully implemented in some states, but not all.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:59 AM

14,488 posts, read 6,132,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
I understand the first wave isn't overwith - no matter what Dr.UV Light Sanitizers Trump says.

The flattened the curve was intended not to overwhelm the hospitals, not put a complete end to the pandemic. It was successfully implemented in some states, but not all.
We went from “flatten the curve†to “prevent all infections and deaths†which is impossible without percent, perpetual lockdowns

Old 09-12-2020, 10:59 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,778,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
We went from “flatten the curve†to “prevent all infections and deaths†which is impossible without percent, perpetual lockdowns
And the curve was flattened. No need for harsh lock downs.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:00 AM

14,488 posts, read 6,132,691 times
So I guess we have to just stay home all the time

Surely people realize that’s literally the only way to prevent all infections?

Old 09-12-2020, 11:00 AM

20,742 posts, read 19,444,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Doesn't the fact that Sweden going with herd immunity sort of ring discordantly from this idea?

The Swedes were uncharacteristically light on the authoritarianism on this one. Of course , people from equatorial climates moving to northern latitudes also not realizing that fermented fish is a filet of sunshine, is going to hit them rather hard.

I realize that phrases like "God Save the Queen" will cause one to wake up rather worse for wear in a London Alley, but the British empire did lean a few things about where to quarter its troops

Old 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM

59,536 posts, read 27,674,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And....no one even cares anymore with these panic headlines.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/na...rcz?li=BBnb7Kz
Could, if, maybe, etc. are a waste of time!

Old 09-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
80% of swedish deaths were in their nursing homes. The government of Sweden has admitted it did a terrible job protecting people in those facilities.
The latest numbers I have say its 47%. Which is lower than Norway. Meaning the numbers are even worse for Sweden:

New country report: The COVID-19 Long-Term Care situation in Sweden

Of those who have died of COVID-19, 47 per cent were care home residents

https://ltccovid.org/2020/07/23/new-...ion-in-sweden/

64% of deaths in Norway were nursing homes. 35% in Denmark. We are right back to the fact that Sweden had more deaths per capita outside of nursing facilities than its neighbors.

Like I said I am a Libertarian. But I am not going to mislead people into saying freedom does not have risks.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Doesn't the fact that Sweden going with herd immunity sort of ring discordantly from this idea?
I think its disingenuous to say that because deaths are way down in Sweden its because they reached herd immunity. Deaths are even lower now in Denmark and Norway and no one is saying they reached herd immunity.

Like I said I am fine with Sweden doing it their way. Lets see where we are at when the pandemic is over. We are probably not even half way though this so any declaration of victory seems premature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies