Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 03:21 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I mean, people 21 or younger. They may have gotten the awful idea that the Trump "presidency" is a norm. I mean, they may imagine that it's normal for a president to lie, to insult people, to back out of treaties, to be mocked for his ignorance, to spew a flood of ungrammatical libelous tweets, to always be thrusting himself into the public's consciousness with an unending series of maundering mean-spirited rallies to bask in applause.

It used to be that so many people said they weren't interested in politics because it was boring. Politics isn't meant to be a constant wild roller coaster ride. Trump likes to make headlines, but it's toxic.
They're smarter than the millineals. They understand the media lies all the time and so they search alternate sources and tune out the nonsense. They'll do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 03:51 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I have two late teens in the house. They know exactly what trump is.
Don’t worry, Biden is really in tune with the youth of this country. He’s really engaging and hands on.

https://images.app.goo.gl/13fce9oa5JGCeudz5

Old 09-13-2020, 05:00 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
I'm concerned for all Americans, and I mean, all.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

No, he's not.

But you go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

The only reason people are upset is that media and the dems are obsessed analyzing every word, phrase and movement and twisting it to be THE WORST THING POSSIBLE and pushing that onto unsuspecting people who don't pay much attention to politics. It's never been done before, that's why everything seems so bad. It's not though. If you stop listening to the media and just pay any amount of attention to what he's actually done and wants to do (minus the spin) you can't help but be happy with him. I can't think of one thing that's worse today than 4 years ago, some things are better, and no I'm not going to accuse him of causing fires and covid.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I mean, people 21 or younger. They may have gotten the awful idea that the Trump "presidency" is a norm. I mean, they may imagine that it's normal for a president to lie, to insult people, to back out of treaties, to be mocked for his ignorance, to spew a flood of ungrammatical libelous tweets, to always be thrusting himself into the public's consciousness with an unending series of maundering mean-spirited rallies to bask in applause.

It used to be that so many people said they weren't interested in politics because it was boring. Politics isn't meant to be a constant wild roller coaster ride. Trump likes to make headlines, but it's toxic.
I agree. I'm so glad at my current age that I'm closer to living life at age 100 than 21. The world was already a crazy and worrisome enough place back when I was age 21. The world is in even worse shape now. For starters, at age 21, I never heard of words like pandemic, COVID-19 or climate change.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:22 PM

16,085 posts, read 10,747,693 times
My daughter (born in the 1980s) says everything changed for her generation (and those following) in 1999 with the Columbine school shooting. Before that things were going relatively OK. Then the school shootings took off. Then there was 9/11. Then Afghanistan and then Iraq. Then crippling school debt. Then the recession and no jobs. Ex-soldiers with problems, no support and few prospects. Then a slow recovery and finally Trump and another recession with a pandemic. Well, when she puts it that way, I can see her point and why young people are pissed off.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:36 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My daughter (born in the 1980s) says everything changed for her generation (and those following) in 1999 with the Columbine school shooting. Before that things were going relatively OK. Then the school shootings took off. Then there was 9/11. Then Afghanistan and then Iraq. Then crippling school debt. Then the recession and no jobs. Ex-soldiers with problems, no support and few prospects. Then a slow recovery and finally Trump and another recession with a pandemic. Well, when she puts it that way, I can see her point and why young people are pissed off.
I feel a depression coming on. Honestly, while reading that, I could feel my mood change. It's all so sad.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:42 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
My niece who is 20 will be voting for the first time and she knows who Trump is.
I will be taking her to the polls with me come Election day.
Biden 2020.
Ciao!

Does she support rioting, looting and murder like your candidates of choice do?

Old 09-16-2020, 01:44 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Yeah, Trump is bad enough but we have had twenty years of war, recession, job loss, mismanagement, and two horrible presidents all thanks to the Electoral College.

This will be the first presidential election for young voters who have never known life in America before the Patriot Act.

That is one more reason to remember 9/11...the erosion and suppression of our liberties and privacy in the name of security -- when the threat is mostly domestic terrorism and gun nuts.

Ironic that you will vote for the team that is now supportive of current domestic terrorism. Who is burning, looting and murdering?

Old 09-30-2020, 06:32 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I worry about neither Trump nor Biden, nor Nancy Pelosi nor Mitch McConnell, but that a generation is being deprived of access to school, access to assembly, access to the normal and necessary activities of growing up. We've shut down our educational complex - public or private. This isn't about urban vs. rural, Democrat vs. Republican, or any of the usual political tensions that have pervaded society. It is a simple and grotesque matter, of asking millions of young-people to make enormous and untoward sacrifices, at devastating harm to themselves, with no compensation or reward.

Consider the bad-old-days, of military conscription. Those teens who were hustled into uniform and sent abroad, were at least given a paycheck and meals. They were kept in conditions that we might deplore, but at least they were together. And most importantly, when they returned, they were treated with honor, by a nation that was grateful for their sacrifice. That gratitude wasn't merely ceremonial; it included the GI Bill, subsidized housing programs, maybe even a pension. We didn't just warehouse our youth, with the fatuous bromide, "Suck it up, Buttercup!". Today we do. Today we have told a generation that their duty is to sacrifice, but their reward is... nil.

Neither Democrats nor Republicans have a solution. Who cares, whether our national leadership lies, or attempts to tell the truth? We are all liars now.
The other part of the draft is that - theoretically - it was somewhat of a level playing field. Sure, some people managed to duck it (Trump is an obvious example), but it was likely to be somewhat shared across classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies