Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2020, 07:40 AM

15,066 posts, read 6,144,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I see it as a left/right issue.

Studies show that people on the right when they fail they are far more likely to blame internal reasons like their own choices. When people on the left fail they are far more likely to blame external sources like systemic racism.

I personally work with a leftist teacher who literally teaches students (including minority ones) that ALL whites have an advantage over ALL blacks in the USA.

Once I tried to politely argue this with him in the computer lab as he was telling it to students. I said don't Sasha and Malia Obama have advantages with political connections, business connections, being in the top 1% for wealth, having 2 parents with ivy-league degrees over some poor white growing up in a single parent home? The teacher said no. That a poor white growing up in a single parent home has more advantages in life than Sasha and Malia Obama.

To any student that bought that what do they think their odds of success are?

It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why try if I am set to fail due to systemic racism stacking the deck against me. Look I didn't try and I failed, systemic racism is real.

If when you fail the cause is internal sources it breeds a sense of hope and happiness as you have control. If when you fail it is an external source it breeds a sense of bitterness at those who set you up to fail.

I once had a couple students depressed because Michelle Obama was talking about how they couldn't afford basic things when Barack was a US Senator and saying what chance do I have. I hit pause on my lesson plan and showed how it was likely "politics" and of course I did it very gently as the kids worshipped Obama, but I am like look at the value of their Chicago home. 2 people with law degrees from Ivy League? They were likely doing fine.
People on the right seem to lack compassion unless they are affected by something. Then they also become victims.

On the left, they tend to overcorrect and then lack flexibility in thought. That’s why the teacher couldn’t see that Malia and Sasha have advantages over most children, regardless of race. But then, they aren’t anywhere near the norm.

There are challenges based on race because the country never properly dealt with its actions and ideologies. But those aren’t the only challenges and no child should be told that they cannot succeed. That simply isn’t true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 07:42 AM

14,179 posts, read 4,539,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is the claim by many conservatives. That the attack on police escalated and it was because of Obama.

So Trump becomes President and there is no decline -- no change.

But somehow we are better off with Trump.

Seems way more violent now.
Were you an infant or maybe asleep when Ferguson was on fire over that thug Michael Brown? Where and when do you think BLM was formed?

What really stupid is Obama still believes his own lies despite Department of Justice, ordered by Obama, to conduct a civil right federal investigation over the death of Michael Brown. Guess what they found? No evidence of civil right violation against Darren Wilson. This is after St Louis grand jury had decided not to indict Wilson criminally for the death of Brown.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:43 AM

322 posts, read 242,778 times
Caused by the Dems & their MSM false narrative of "Systemic Racism" & "Cops are Bad". It's funny to see the Lefties blame Trump for this. Wake-up. We saw the same thing under your beloved Obama/Biden when they pushed the same false narrative. They did nothing for 8 years on this issue. But lets give Basement Biden 4 years. I'm sure we'll get a different outcome this time.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:44 AM

10,020 posts, read 9,473,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I'm as left as they get. I'm hoping a speedy recovery for these innocent officers. They don't deserve this. Things are really really bad under
Things are really really bad under Democratic city leaders. You know the ones that actually supposed to run the cities?
The ones that have control over hiring and firing of the police chief and in turn has control over the actions of their officers.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:46 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
BLM protesters show up at the hospital where the injured cops were taken to celebrate the death of police officers.

These BLM scum are incredibly sick:

https://vidmax.com/video/198308-blm-...or-their-lives
we need to know who these people/this guy is. He says "unfurl those flags" - want to know what flags they were.

We've got to quit calling EVERYTHING protest "BLM", but when identified it needs to be clear. When they associate with the "movement", then the movement becomes as guilty.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:47 AM

15,066 posts, read 6,144,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Were you an infant or maybe asleep when Ferguson was on fire over that thug Michael Brown? Where and when do you think BLM was formed?

What really stupid is Obama still believes his own lies despite Department of Justice, ordered by Obama, to conduct a civil right federal investigation over the death of Michael Brown. Guess what they found? No evidence of civil right violation against Darren Wilson. This is after St Louis grand jury had decided not to indict Wilson criminally for the death of Brown.
That case and the inability to treat these incidents on a case by case basis is why I do not support BLM as an organization.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:47 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,789,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Fix it now.

Give us the details on how to fix it.

Why do we have to wait until November.

Trump would earn the job if he started to fix the problem.

It's not getting any better.

It's getting worse.
Step one: All people in government, D or R, take a stance supporting policing as an institution. No more cutting budgets, throwing cops under the bus...no more. Police are critical infrastructure and need to be treated as such.

Step two: vote out DA's who don't prosecute crimes. Get rid of policies that decriminalize small crimes, eliminate bail, and raise the age of accountability. Those ENABLE gangs and criminals. Police make arrests, and they are out on the streets in a revolving door. Gangs use young kids to carry out crimes.

Step three: Flood the neighborhoods with police. Add social workers, whatever. Build trust among police and communities by going in schools, recruiting minorities, etc. And when they make arrests, lock people up.

Step four: the media needs to be called out for their biased coverage. They need to be fact checked, non-stop. But if step one is followed and those in authority don't take the side of the mobs and the biased press, it will help.

It can be done. I saw NYC transform before my own eyes under Giuliani. The president was irrelevant.

This isn't a federal issue. It is a local issue. The president is not King. Watch who you vote for locally.

Trump's 'law and order' rhetoric is merely step one, supporting policing. He can't really DO anything. The Democrats should do that too, although they climbed into bed with BLM so they are constrained.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:48 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,948,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And not a peep from BLM about these officers getting shot at, nor any word about the protesters trying to break into the hospital where the police are being treated and some wishing death to the officers.

And when the suspect is caught he will be deemed a 'hero' by these lunatics (if he isn't already), and if by chance this suspect is killed during apprehension, more 'protests' over the 'unjust' killing.

Sick and demented beyond words.
You created a lot of imaginery people there.
I just did a search for people in BLM and the left and found many against it.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
And this idiotic reply to the police after they shared the video on Twitter. Sound familiar?

Attached Thumbnails
Cops ambushed and hospitalized. Protestors block ER and attack hospital-imageedit_1_8374709718.jpg  

Old 09-13-2020, 08:00 AM

18,764 posts, read 18,054,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
It's interesting how things have changed. "the Man" is now the left wing. It used to be "the Man" starting in the 60's was considered to be rich conservatives, the media, establishment politicians. Now the left runs the propaganda machine in America...."Big Tech", CNN, MSMBC, Academia, etc... Many of the wealthiest billionaires in our society are the left wing puppet masters (Bezos with WAPO, google guys, Bloomberg, Soros, the Davos elite).

Really today things have reversed, conservatives are now the underdog "scrappy upstarts" fighting "The Man"....aka the establishment political elites, the swamp. Roles have reversed where in the 60's and 70's the left fashioned themselves the scrappy upstarts against big media propaganda, the intelligence apparatus, etc... Now the left OWNS the media, they supported the Dems using the intelligence apparatus to try to take out Trump in 2016 (i.e fake collusion story, fake dossier, using fraud to get FISA warrants to spy on Trump). Funny how times change.
I don't care if people are liberal or conservatives. But they all have to remember to always place our Country and our voters first. I think MAGA was a great saying; the Democrats could have done the same with Make America Better or something similar. But what we are witnessing is the destruction of lives, of jobs, and homes with no end in sight. We need our laws and law enforcement and we have to be very careful about any constraints we place on them; they are human beings and also deserve our protection.

At one time our Democratic Party loved the saying Rainbow Coalition; what changed? My feeling is they thought they had all the answers and were moving quickly to control all our news. Anybody that rocked their boat was the enemy; like Trump.

We pay our legislators to legislate. We do not pay them to fight. The only way we get legislation is through compromise. If hatred is their only goal they should not be working for us; they are working against us. The only way the Democratic Party will rethink the issues is if they experience a serious loss in November.

I was a Democrat most of my life and I am ashamed to say that. But this "Party" is not helping America. We need people that support our police and the laws that 'they' made. The average person in America wants stability and opportunities to improve their lives. Burned out cities and businesses do not do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies