Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 07:52 PM

1,174 posts, read 550,493 times

Advertisements

Man , I got to give the Dems and liberals credit here. They have thought this whole thing through to a razors edge for decades. Hitler himself couldn’t reenact this Pinpoint strategic effectiveness.

Last edited by Steamhammer; 09-14-2020 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 08:06 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
The answer is obvious, but I'm not just going to give it away for free.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:22 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The suicide rate has been going up at an alarming rate since 1999.

So Trump, Covid, Biden, etc aren't your scapegoats.
The US life expectancy dropped the last two years of Obama's presidency. That is the only time in US history that has happened without a war or pandemic.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The answer is obvious, but I'm not just going to give it away for free.
Capitalism?

Old 09-14-2020, 08:40 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Capitalism?
No.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
We've created a society where everything is PANIC! THE BIGGEST DEAL EVER! OMG WE'RE GUNNA DIE! Young people take this seriously, they don't yet have the defense mechanisms to recognize BS when they hear it.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:01 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Why did no one ever figure this out? It was always evident to me. I never wanted an accolade that I didn't actually earn by talent, hard work and/or sweat.
And personally, even then I don't feel comfortable with accolades.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
How does that work in deep Red States, though? Oklahoma is ranked the number 1 state for despair.
It's Oklahoma...what do you expect ?! It's almost bad as Kansas, except you have the Little Sahara to go and do some great riding in.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
I suspect there are several reasons for the uptick in suicides.
First, our young people have not been raised to accept failure, heartache, disappointment, etc., as a part of life and an opportunity for personal growth and/or resiliency. From infancy to early adulthood, children are taught that they are "special", "unique", and that, regardless, everybody gets a trophy, etc. They are truly lost when they leave "the nest" and find that the world doesn't revolve around them. Thank Helicopter and Bulldozer "parents" for that.
Second, the isolation that results from the social media addiction. Honestly, too many kids/young adults cannot maintain eye contact, carry on a conversation, or spell. How in the world will they compete for positions in successful companies without these life skills?
Third, COVID. So many feel their lives are out of their control. They've never learned adversity, patience, and that all things do pass in time.
I hope the numbers of suicides decrease; every one is a tragedy.
Just wanted to share this again. This poster nailed it.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:13 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We've created a society where everything is PANIC! THE BIGGEST DEAL EVER! OMG WE'RE GUNNA DIE! Young people take this seriously, they don't yet have the defense mechanisms to recognize BS when they hear it.
When I was a kid, we planned where we would meet in case there was a nuclear attack and we had to leave town separately. We did fallout drills in school in addition to fire drills. Somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of the people believed we would destroy the planet in a nuclear war. JFK nearly brought us to a nuclear war.

And guess what? Police really did kill Black people without a trial. Black people could only live where they were allowed. And a few years before that, they weren't allowed to vote, weren't allowed to go to major universities, go into many stores and restaurants and had to ride in the back of the bus.

People didn't have cell phones. Many people still shared lines. Long distance calling was really expensive. Only universities and major businesses had computers. If you messed up typing, you had to start from scratch. Flying was rare and expensive. Almost nobody had central air conditioning. Many people didn't even have window units. Vast numbers of people died from what are today curable diseases. Around the world many more died of starvation than now. The "things" middle class and even many lower class people have would have been unimaginable to people 50 years ago. It was even beyond what the wealthy had.

Probably the only thing worse is the decline in morals, which is in large part due to a rapid decline in religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies