Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 05:23 AM

56,963 posts, read 25,901,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh, just one thing is causing it.

That's how the world works....just one cause....well maybe 2 causes, after that most peoples minds shut down.

Seriously though, global warming is not fast acting. This is not some sudden new thing, but rather quite frankly the sad fact that most people are stupid and can't grasp that you sometimes just have extreme years along with an inability to understand long-term trends.

I'm not even denying global warming, just pointing out that you can get these types of natural cycles even without it.

I cannot reiterate enough just how dumb the average person is and politicians use that to full advantage, assuming they themselves know better which is rare as well.
We haven't had fires of this proportion, warmer climate and extended droughts add to the ground cover. I don't see how they can manage a few million acres with controlled burns, Oregon has 30 million forested acres and performs prescribed burns on around one-half percent . This is happening worldwide. Sure you can get natural cycles of drought but the 2 degree temperature increase is not part of some natural cycle.

Dumbest statement I heard was the president stating "Its going to getting cooler, just you watch".

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-15-2020 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 07:15 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,524,460 times
I’m in my mid 40s. California droughts and forest fires have been happening since I was a child and even way before then.

Is climate change real? Yes. Is it the cause of these fires? No.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:34 AM

18,940 posts, read 43,341,866 times
You have to look at the history of the area long before European settlers arrived. Chances are the forests there burned frequently. More frequent low intensity fires are better than once a decade massive fires.

It's the same way along the southeastern coastal plain, our pine forests here evolved to burn, and many wildlife species such as the gopher tortoise depend on it. The forest service here usually does prescribed burning during the winter months when it's cooler, however you still have those same idiots complaining and saying it's "air pollution" and such. Some of the same people who claim to care about the environment really don't understand it at all.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,774,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Forest management will only get you so far in preventing fires. If there's prolonged drought combined with arson and/or lightning strikes, it's gonna burn.

I live near some state forest in NC. The forestry service does prescribed burns regularly. In 2011, after a long drought, lightning started a fire. Tens of thousands of acres burned for weeks, clouds of smoke, ash falling like snow, chunks of charred pine bark falling in my yard.
Then you also have accidents like the gender reveal bombs gone wrong and cigarettes. I live in Arizona and we have a similar problem that we can see goes just as bad as this though typically in the north country where we have trees. It can still happen with tumbleweed but in the desert, there is less stuff to truly catch as there is in the more foresty north country.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,871,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
So what is the reason behind these fires? As we know California hasn't been doing forest management in the last decade because California's Governor and left-wing government refuse to do so. Arsonists have been caught, however the leaders of the Dem. establishment and activists are using the crisis to push faux claims of climate change. So if you believe its climate change, whats your reasoning?
or all three and ignoring one of three doesn't help.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 AM

42,758 posts, read 25,996,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
So what is the reason behind these fires? As we know California hasn't been doing forest management in the last decade because California's Governor and left-wing government refuse to do so. Arsonists have been caught, however the leaders of the Dem. establishment and activists are using the crisis to push faux claims of climate change. So if you believe its climate change, whats your reasoning?
57% of California's forests are Federally owned and maintained. 60% is privately owned. 3% is publicly owned. Now you tell me...how does California manage Federal and private land? Would you like them to go on your property and start cutting trees?

Old 09-15-2020, 08:15 AM

301 posts, read 182,135 times
Tons of arson going on, most likely from Antifa losers. Complete mismanagement of the forests. The total lack of logging to save endangered owls didn’t work out very well. Plus the climate is changing (it is always in a state of change) and is currently warming and compounding things.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:16 AM

42,758 posts, read 25,996,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You burn during the rainy season. Like Florida has been doing for decades. https://www.fl-ficc.com/prescribed-fire/
Where should California start burning, on Federal land or privately owned?

Old 09-15-2020, 08:19 AM

21,019 posts, read 19,475,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Where should California start burning, on Federal land or privately owned?
Federal and state. Private properties are smaller and generally would not need burning, just clearing.

Learn from the Native Americans: https://www.savetheredwoods.org/blog...n-use-of-fire/

Old 09-15-2020, 08:22 AM

11,760 posts, read 11,968,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not only can't you rake up the needles, the State of California only has the right to rake 3% of the forest land in the State the rest is either federally or privately owned. I'm amazed that more people aren't aware of that.
Why would they know that? Most ragging on California don't live in California but will take any opportunity to criticize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies