Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be the response from L J
He does nothing but run his big mouth continuing to spew hate 74 94.87%
He digs up the cash and shows he cares about lives of people 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 01:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, my ancestors invented gun powder, but I don't see your type giving props to Chinese people for that. Your point?
His "type"?

I'm sure that its not a parallel argument to compare one man's hypocritical criticism to the vague "props" not given by an entire "type".

Which individuals of his "type" are you seeing a lack of "props" from, specifically, in order to assist you with your argument?

Would it be enough if we found "props" from some of his "type"? I'm sure we can find them in the form on endless academic papers.

So, your point?

Are you comparing the civilizational gifts of gunpowder to education?

Did you want to run down a list of civilizational gifts and their inter-racial "props" count?

I bet you run out of things to say and I run out of space to write.

Or did you wish to either go silent or retract your argument? Glad to see full sentences and clearer writing today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 02:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Also true. He was already an NBA prospect before he got to HS. It wouldn't have mattered where he went - he could have been some Class D school with 100 kids and it wouldn't have mattered.
True. In fact, SVSM was in the next to lowest class in athletics because of their small enrollment. Lebron made them a national powerhouse.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 PM

264 posts, read 100,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, my ancestors invented gun powder, but I don't see your type giving props to Chinese people for that. Your point?
Many products invented by many different individuals.

"Your type" appears to explicitly indicate that there is a belief that there is a monolith manner of thinking and behavior with the type of person that is included in "your type."

When referring to inventions, there is the narrative that all inventors were invented by individuals of one type.

So, the premise is that one type of people invent and another type do not invent.

All inventors deserve credit.

But, here is the thing, the person who filed a patent for a product does not mean that the person invented that product.

Many African American inventors had their ideas stolen and also were restricted from filing patents for many many years!

Lewis Lattimer perfected the filament for the light bulb and, if I am not mistaken, had a key role in the invention of the telegraph.

Today's light bulb is based on the innovations of Lewis Lattimer.

Truth be told, he very well could be the inventor of the telegraph and the light bulb!

But, he is probably not envisioned when people state "your type."

Old 09-18-2020, 05:49 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
Many products invented by many different individuals.

"Your type" appears to explicitly indicate that there is a belief that there is a monolith manner of thinking and behavior with the type of person that is included in "your type."

When referring to inventions, there is the narrative that all inventors were invented by individuals of one type.

So, the premise is that one type of people invent and another type do not invent.

All inventors deserve credit.

But, here is the thing, the person who filed a patent for a product does not mean that the person invented that product.

Many African American inventors had their ideas stolen and also were restricted from filing patents for many many years!

Lewis Lattimer perfected the filament for the light bulb and, if I am not mistaken, had a key role in the invention of the telegraph.

Today's light bulb is based on the innovations of Lewis Lattimer.

Truth be told, he very well could be the inventor of the telegraph and the light bulb!

But, he is probably not envisioned when people state "your type."
I'm responding to the silly supposition and implication that [certain ethnic groups invented this] so you should be more respectful and less critical of society, and thank you lucky stars that you're in America, so **** with your charges of racism. That's all.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:54 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Well its been a few days and what has Lebron James done ? Anyone know ?

Old 09-18-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Well its been a few days and what has Lebron James done ? Anyone know ?
Hopefully nothing but play basketball. He doesn’t owe anyone a damn dime.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:12 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hopefully nothing but play basketball. He doesn’t owe anyone a damn dime.
So it's okay for him to raise awareness about people who are killed, but only when they're black criminals who get killed because they're resisting arrest? A couple of cops get massacred for nothing = "To hell with you! You deserve it because you're cops!"

Okay you and LeBron both feel that way, but it certainly comes across as pretty damned callous.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So it's okay for him to raise awareness about people who are killed, but only when they're black criminals who get killed because they're resisting arrest? A couple of cops get massacred for nothing = "To hell with you! You deserve it because you're cops!"

Okay you and LeBron both feel that way, but it certainly comes across as pretty damned callous.
Again, Lebron James doesn’t owe anyone a dime. He has no obligation to put up even a penny of reward money.

And yes, it’s okay for him to raise awareness about anything he wants to. I don’t care if he decides to raise awareness over mistreatment of Goldfish for all I care. HE picks the causes he wants to support, not YOU. You folks don’t tell him what to do. He doesn’t answer to you.

I don’t care if I sound callous. Killing Philando Castile and Alton Sterling was callous too.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:55 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again, Lebron James doesn’t owe anyone a dime. He has no obligation to put up even a penny of reward money.

And yes, it’s okay for him to raise awareness about anything he wants to. I don’t care if he decides to raise awareness over mistreatment of Goldfish for all I care. HE picks the causes he wants to support, not YOU. You folks don’t tell him what to do. He doesn’t answer to you.

I don’t care if I sound callous. Killing Philando Castile and Alton Sterling was callous too.
I'm not extremely familiar with all the details, but one thing is clear. These shootings happened on July 5, 2016 & July 6, 2016. Obama's America. Obama's fault. Apparently Obama created the atmosphere in which such behavior was considered acceptable. Has Obama apologized to the Castile and Sterling families yet? Has he accepted full responsibility? How much of the Obama-inspired culture of police brutality direct lead us to where we are today?

At some point, it must be acknowledged that:
  • Mistakes are going to happen, but the vast majority of police are good people trying to protect and serve the American people.
  • The problems that do exist can be addressed, but it takes more police and a lot more training.
  • The American citizens also need better training. If you're reaching under the seat or into the glove box for your license and registration, they officer has to assume you're reaching for a gun.
  • American people need to learn to see the world through the eyes of the police.
  • They need to realize that the police have very good reasons to fear for their safety.
  • Americans need to know what not to do to avoid causing the police to fear for their lives.

Two very good recommended videos.

1. BLM activist goes through the standard police training for use of force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

2. A black guy who is a former prosecutor and a police officer goes over cases involving justified and unjustified use of force. I like the fact that he acknowledges that there is real bias against black people, then proceeds to put several shootings by police into context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h1wE9gk1kc

Old 09-19-2020, 11:00 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Me thinks the headline should read: LA Sheriff grandstanding with possible political ambitions in mind. Sitting around one's home while cherry-picking through the latest right wing news articles and then bringing said articles to the forum--like a dog fetching his masters slippers, gets old. In the meantime all the Sheriff's supporters should ante up--with all they got..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies